Z12 Binding vintage: Gripwalk?

Surprisingly there isn’t a dedicated Salomon Z series thread (lol) but I found a good deal locally on some skis with Z12s that will be perfect pow skis for my gf but wondering about the binding vintage. She has Hawx XTD 115s so gripwalk compatibility is necessary

So which year are these and are they gripwalk compatible? My googling so far tells me no - looks like they added it in 19/20 (or never?), but curious to hear from someone who actually knows.

If not is the hole pattern the same as any Salomon GW bindings where I could get a gripwalk set and swap them out in the existing holes? I know this is a crappy ish binding overall but she’s light and doesn’t charge mega hard so I think it’ll be okay. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

official answer: no

ski bum answer : Sure: give er

ski tech answer: Maybe: worth testing release and seeing if it actualy fails

boot fitter answer: replace grip walk soles with alpine and it WILL work

Good info, thanks. I’m assuming a shop wouldn’t accept the liability of running a release test for something technically incompatible?

Also do they make alpine soles for the Hawx XTD? I see them for other Hawx models but not sure if those are compatible with the XTD. I don’t mind doing that at all though. Her other bindings are tectons so should be cross compatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Good info, thanks. I’m assuming a shop wouldn’t accept the liability of running a release test for something technically incompatible?

Also do they make alpine soles for the Hawx XTD? I see them for other Hawx models but not sure if those are compatible with the XTD. I don’t mind doing that at all though. Her other bindings are tectons so should be cross compatible?

best to ask your local shop

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Also do they make alpine soles for the Hawx XTD?
    Ultra XTD, no, the soles are glued on.
    Prime XTD, maybe the alpine Hawx soles will fit, but I don't have one in front of me to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Ultra XTD, no, the soles are glued on.
    Prime XTD, maybe the alpine Hawx soles will fit, but I don't have one in front of me to compare.
    Ya hers are the Ultra so looks like either try to make these work with GW or replace the bindings. Definitely don’t want to compromise her release options - if these were for me I’d be a little more cavalier about it

I’ll see if a local shop is willing to do a release test

Anyone know if the Stage 11 GW binding has the same toe hole pattern as the Z series? I don’t mind just getting a better binding and redrilling but would be cool to not have to put more holes in the ski

FWIW, the Z12 uses a 3-hole toe that is the same as the STH 10 and a version of the STH 12 - so perhaps one of those STH bindings has an adjustable toe height that would allow you to use a GW boot. (Research this.) That same 3-hole pattern was also on older bindings like the C series, but those have the same problem as the Z (probably not enough toe height adjustment range).

All the STH heels use the same pattern as the Z heels - 4 hole in the 10 and 12 DIN range.

If you're willing to redrill two toe holes, you can swap to a 4-hole Salomon toe binding that uses the older 912/914, 900/997/977 pattern. All of those share the two rearmost holes of the 3-hole Z toe, and you would need to drill two more holes for the foremost holes for the new binding.

All the 912/914, 900/997/etc 4-hole heels share all the holes with the STH and Z heels.

Note: STH2 is different from everything I just wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Sweet yeah I remember the 3 vs 4 hole toe thing from back in the day since I swapped some z series for STH. Do any of the newer MNC bindings share that hole pattern or is that all in STH2 territory? Ideally I’d like to get her on something that’s officially GW compatible if I’m swapping out bindings anyway

I’ll also print out some templates and see if the Warden could be a viable option too

Warden shares a couple of holes with the older Salomon bindings, but IIRC they are offset differently from the boot A line. In other words, I think remounting using the matching old holes ends up moving the binding considerably fore or aft.

I don't know if there are any MNC bindings that would match the existing Z holes.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm confident that none of the STH or older Salomons will be officially GW compatible. But YMMV on whether you are comfortable with it. I recall posts here from mags satisfied with using GW or WTR in old 997s etc, because the toe height adjusted enough. Problem is that none of them have moving AFDs - which I believe is necessary for safe repeatable release on a rubber sole like GW or WTR.

If I’m swapping them out I might as well go with a fully certified GW binding. If it were me I’d make an older non GW binding work but I’d hate for her to get hurt because of a release fluke and feel like I could’ve done something to prevent it. Unless an older STH with a properly adjusted toe height passes a release test in the exact same way and the difference really is negligible