Thread: Ski tip forms

Ski tip forms

I think I asked this in the past but the search function is not me friend. Back in the shop days (way back) we had 2 stainless steel sheets of metal that were about 2 feet long and radiused like a ski tip. If you had a delam they were used to clamp top and bottom to get good uniform pressure without damaging the tip sheets or bases.

Do these still exist? I made a pair out of aluminum but they’re not great…..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I need to fix a tail delamination and plan to use the other ski for one side, but having a pair would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    I need to fix a tail delamination and plan to use the other ski for one side, but having a pair would be ideal.
    yeah this ^^

I've also seen a pict of someone using a sand bag & clamp cuz the sandbag conforms

be creative
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Cut plywood to width. Cut kerfs parallel to width of plywood. Your plywood will now conform to tip radius

I've done a few of these.
    Some have worked better than others.

Get the stiffest cardboard you can. (1/8" hard-board/fiberboard or whatever it's called might bend enough too.)
    Cut the cardboard to fit the ski tip-tail.

Some pieces of styrofoam, or closed cell, stiff foam that also mostly conform to the ski profile. 4-6+" thick.
    A bunch of small bungie. I've got a length that's probably 25+' un-stretched.

Epoxy under the delam. Warm it up, and work it around. You'll probably have tons of press-out no matter what you do.
    Wax paper next.
    Cardboard/fiberboard.
    Foam blocks to give some compression/lift to press against.
    Bungie wrap the heck out of it. (Wrap around the whole ski, blocks etc.)

The better your coverage with board/foam, the better the results.
    IME, it's usually an OK job cosmetically.
    The more time you're willing to spend, the better it will look. I've hurried some and have had air-pockets. (Soly Rocker/Rocker2's had really bad delam of the very top plastic layer.)

I would think that some thin-ish steel sheet metal would work nicely. Thin enough that it'll bend to shape. Thick enough that it'll protect the ski and distribute clamping pressure.

Buy stainless steel.

Bend.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I would think that some thin-ish steel sheet metal would work nicely. Thin enough that it'll bend to shape. Thick enough that it'll protect the ski and distribute clamping pressure.
    Works pretty damn well. Metal scrapers are great for this. We still have aluminum tip molds in the shop, but nobody has tips with that steep of a rise anymore. Hobby aluminum is pretty cheap and available at the hardware store.

I use offcuts of vinyl plank flooring for this purpose.

Thanks Tomba

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear