Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Personally, its not worth the gas and time to go back to the shop. Unless you have a bone to pick. I literally could not tell the difference between a minty base and a scratched to hell base, i very much doubt there is a perceptible difference made from a couple dimples. If "the principle of the thing" is really that important to you, then you should have the right to demand some kind of compensation. Personally id ask for a free tune, as sharp edges are dope and will level up your skiing overnight after a season of wearing them down... minty bases do jackshit for you unless you race, or place a big value on flat return cattracks.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Personally, its not worth the gas and time to go back to the shop. Unless you have a bone to pick. I literally could not tell the difference between a minty base and a scratched to hell base, i very much doubt there is a perceptible difference made from a couple dimples. If "the principle of the thing" is really that important to you, then you should have the right to demand some kind of compensation. Personally id ask for a free tune, as sharp edges are dope and will level up your skiing overnight after a season of wearing them down... minty bases do jackshit for you unless you race, or place a big value on flat return cattracks.
    Make them yur bitch as they fucked up...
    That said, it's unlikely you'll notice until you try to sell the skis on TGR and you'll have to throw hands with the price police.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Not cool grinding down base on new, unskied skis. That reduces the lifespan of the ski.

Best solution is remove screws and either grind the screws down to proper length or replace the screws with proper length and roll the dimples out with a heat gun (carefully). It could also be the holes not drilled deep enough, but less likely that than wrong screws..
    its not cool that manufactuers cant produce a flat finished product but they do and it isnt gittin much better from a lot of big companies
    dimpled my skis fuckin around trying to mount atk when they first came out and no one had jigs
    let the gorilla glue dry and expand
    skied the piss outta them l 120's
    still do
    never noticed and they went away
    back to buttercunt and a bunch of
    not shroom samie slammin shop rats and 20 post a day experts
    pretending to know
    it all
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Make them yur bitch as they fucked up...
    That said, it's unlikely you'll notice until you try to sell the skis on TGR and you'll have to throw hands with the price police.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Life has taught me to avoid people like you in real life.

Never take advantage of people when they fuck up and then own it.

Wtf is wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    samie slammin shop rats
    Coming to the realization that the guy i was paying $60-$80 to drill some holes and screw some screws was nearly 100% super baked and banging out 100 mounts a shift is what gave me the confidence to Mount My Own Fucking Skis. And there have been some super janky mounts done by yours truly (specifically frame AT bindings), and its worked out fine in the end. that said, i still say OP should ask for a free tune down the road as going from dull-as-fuck edges to freshly tuned is a game changer for your on-snow experience.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    its not cool that manufactuers cant produce a flat finished product but they do and it isnt gittin much better from a lot of big companies
    dimpled my skis fuckin around trying to mount atk when they first came out and no one had jigs
    let the gorilla glue dry and expand
    skied the piss outta them l 120's
    still do
    never noticed and they went away
    back to buttercunt and a bunch of
    not shroom samie slammin shop rats and 20 post a day experts
    pretending to know
    it all
    I've mounted my own fucking bindings totally freehand for over 20 years.... Mostly because the closest shop is 30 miles away and staff is questionable being in the middle of southeastern flat land. 2 hours of driving (1hr to drop and 1hr to pu) and maybe waiting there too when I can have it done in 20 minutes my fucking self?? No thanks.. But, if I did pay I'd insist it's done at least as well as I could do it for free..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Blow me
    Wtf? You are an angry little man, aren't you.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I'm curious what kind of skis they are? Thin profiled touring skis?

If they are for powder only you probably would never notice. But if you will ski them on firm snow you might notice.

Plus, I don't see any virtue in them admitting the screwed up if they won't do anything about it.

I'd personally ask for a free grind/tune and leave it at that, then learn from this and mount your own skis next time. SFB is right that lots of new skis need a tune right from the shop anyway.

OP said they were J Skis mounted with inbounds bindings so definitely not a super thin profile

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    OP said they were J Skis mounted with inbounds bindings so definitely not a super thin profile
    Ahhh... I missed that.

Not sure how you dimple a base with that scenario... weird.

Wrong bit depth maybe?

if buddy is skiing the rocky Rockies those bases won't be new for long

kind wierd the shop admit screwing up and still charge full pop
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb0ldDad View Post
    Why would anyone allow their edges to get this dull? People should be Tuning Their Own Fucking Skis.
    thats like asking why my MTB tires look like semi-slicks. Combination of lethargy, frugalness, and keeping with the life theme of "run what ya brung".

Agreed though, i would really appreciate that thread.

The shop rats getting so pissed off at my comment is heart warming. Did I touch a nerve?

Please tell us more about how a paying customer should fuck off or blow you when you screw up a mount. That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    The shop rats getting so pissed off at my comment is heart warming. Did I touch a nerve?

Please tell us more about how a paying customer should fuck off or blow you when you screw up a mount. That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard.
    Agreed. I am in disbelief that the tech had the audacity to point out the fuck up, then go ahead and charge full price and not offer anything to remedy the error. I would have gone full-on Larry David meltdown if it were me.

Agreed. I am in disbelief that the tech had the audacity to point out the fuck up, then go ahead and charge full price and not offer anything to remedy the error. I would have gone full-on Larry David meltdown if it were me.
    I think asking for a grind and tune coupon is perfectly reasonable. Going full on Curb Your Enthusiasm less so. Mistakes happen, and as long as the mount was still done properly, a dimpled base is no big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I think asking for a grind and tune coupon is perfectly reasonable. Going full on Curb Your Enthusiasm less so. Mistakes happen, and as long as the mount was still done properly, a dimpled base is no big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Agreed though, i would really appreciate that thread.
    Watch the tuning clinic put on by Swix’s American WC tech and then have at it:

Tuning-
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2MGvdHWZ2s

Waxing-
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3V2Id9QHBLA

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    where they bob fuckin ross the joys of skiing editions
    cause id rock em with
    basenips4bob

first time i ates the booms and went skiins
    the square tips of the rossi 11.5 cuts freaked me out and i needed to go change skis
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

So now you see what happens when the tips are not pointed left ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Watch the tuning clinic put on by Swix’s American WC tech and then have at it:

Tuning-
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2MGvdHWZ2s

Waxing-
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3V2Id9QHBLA
    I appreciate the effort, but no-fucking-way am i watching a 1.5 hour video on how to sharpen edges. thats why i liked the "Mount" thread... it basically just gave you some links to paper jigs, told you to plug holes with bamboo skewers or golf tees, and endorsed free-handing the mount while drunk. Screw it up? shove some steel wool and epoxy in there and try again. I want that cheap ski bum version of how to tune your skis, not the WC racer version.

I appreciate the effort, but no-fucking-way am i watching a 1.5 hour video on how to sharpen edges. thats why i liked the "Mount" thread... it basically just gave you some links to paper jigs, told you to plug holes with bamboo skewers or golf tees, and endorsed free-handing the mount while drunk. Screw it up? shove some steel wool and epoxy in there and try again. I want that cheap ski bum version of how to tune your skis, not the WC racer version.
    Got it. Ski bum 15 minute version:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O7dJdn4wOAQ

and you can skip the first few minutes about setting base edge bevel - typically the only work you want to do on the base edge is run a ceramic stone or fine diamond stone on the base edge after sharpening the side edge to remove the burr that sharpening forms. Base bevel is set from the factory, and if you have the bases stone ground then just have the shop set the base bevel for you

I get the impression he wants the Doug Coombs tuning tutorial.

Im more in disbelief that the OP actually paid. I would have kindly explained how I’m not paying for your fuck up then laugh at them even trying to charge me.