Snow bike geometry

So a few years back built a Chinese carbon snow bike with my fantasy football earnings. Haven’t ridden it a lot prior to this year but now I’m getting it out more.

The issue seems to be a huge amount of wheel “flop”. Like scary at speed. The bars are kinda narrow, 60cm stem.

Is this inherent to the snow bike or did the Chinese no name just screw the pooch on the trail? I don’t have any geometry numbers…..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Fat bikes kind of wallow on those big soft low pressure tires if thats waht you mean ?

Speeds tend to be low so i don't find it a problem, I rode mine on berms last summer when i was between bikes, the handling wasnt completely bad but muscling the <37lbs up hill sucked

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2021/mou...oot/bigfoot-3/

this is what I'm on ^^ an entry level not-chinese bike from a real bike store, 760mm bars, 60mm stem, 69 degree head angle, probably all pretty standard, Norco generally knows what they are doing so you could compare some specs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Good advice. I have a Farley and it doesn’t flop as it has a traditional geometry.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Not a wallow issue. A turn the wheel the smallest amount and it wants to turn all the way. Actively requires muscling to make small turning adjustments

Flop on a fatty is tire pressure.

And shit, I want more HT angle! Bring it! We ride single track in the snow, not just rail trail flat stuff. Also, more angle is much better for breaking trail by keeping weight off the front tire.

So too much or too little pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Not a wallow issue. A turn the wheel the smallest amount and it wants to turn all the way. Actively requires muscling to make small turning adjustments
    Ok I get you, I did notice the steering was a bit wierd while I was railing smooth berms, it kinda did want to turn "all the way" but then it only went far enough to negotiate the berm and didnt go any further

I only rode it once and then the new bike showed up so I didnt follow up, I was running pretty low air so maybe its air presssure ??

edit: I definatley did think it was something to do with air pressure at the time
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-29-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It sounds like you might be describing "auto-steer" or "self-steer" as I've heard it named. If that is the case, then it's likely tire pressure. IME lower pressures with meatier tires exhibited more auto-steer. Seemed to be a result of folding the tires while on the corner knobs and was exasperated when the corner knobs were sizeable.

^^^this. It’s part of why I only like fat bikes on snow.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Snow bike geometry

You’re riding a fat bike.
    Snowbikes have skis.

Yes, it sounds like too low of pressure.
    Do you have decent tires? Some cheap Chinese tires suck.

Lbs too low. You need to counter steer with speed to offset that oversteering issue.