Quiver Killer // Binding Freedom Inserts Installer in SLC

Hey all,

The maggot who did my inserts on my last two sets of skis has moved out of Utah and so now I’m looking for someone who has the experience to do this right. I’m going to be mounting pivot 18s so that jig would be the ticket.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tharmor View Post
    Hey all,

The maggot who did my inserts on my last two sets of skis has moved out of Utah and so now I’m looking for someone who has the experience to do this right. I’m going to be mounting pivot 18s so that jig would be the ticket.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Some beer or a little bit of cash and some shops will just drill the initial holes if you don't feel like using paper jigs. I find it useful if the binding is particularly sensitive (tech bindings usually).

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

A foolproof way to do it, if you're concerned about messing it up, is to have a shop mount the bindings without the inserts. And then when you get home back out the screws and then redrill with the bigger insert bit, using as a guide the holes that the shop put in for you.

https://www.bindingfreedom.com/inser...ion-drill-bit/

You can ask the shop not to put epoxy in the holes when they screw in the bindings.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The inserts not going straight is about 50% of my overall concern. Is this unwarranted?

SFB

The inserts not going straight is about 50% of my overall concern. Is this unwarranted?

I can help with the inserts. I just don't have a pivot jig.

Getting them right isn't too hard, it's just tedious as fuck

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Not at all. Big portion of it comes to how well you can use the tap. Some people will argue you need a drill press. If you have some experience and skill, you can do it by hand. If you've never done it before, I'd take an old ski and practice a few times; hardest part is usually starting it - it requires a good amount of downward force while at the same time keeping the tap at a level angle.

My argument against the drill press is that the topsheet of a ski isn't flat, it's slightly convex. So even if you use it, you still need a bit of adjustment to get the tap correct.

That being said, I've had 1-2 go crooked a few years back, and it's not always the end of the world depending on the severity of the angle and which binding you're using. Since then, I just take my time and pace my beer drinking better.

Took about 4 hours to do 4 skis; 3 for CAST and 1 with a tech binding

You can get one if these if you don't want to freehand it:

https://www.bindingfreedom.com/drill...elf-centering/

If you DON'T take to a shop, and use paper templates to drill from scratch, the procedure is to first drill a small diameter pilot hole, and then go in with the insert bit to ream out the pilot hole.

I made the mistake once of directly drilling with the insert bit. The bigger the bit diameter, the more it has a tendency to wander across the topsheet when drilling.

Wasatch Touring has done some for me in the past.
    Not sure if they have a Pivot jig though...

You definitely want to get them good and straight, but the alignment is easy to tweak while the epoxy is still soft. Just thread the machine screw into the insert, and you can realign them by hand. Then screw the binding down(but do not tighten!), and let the epoxy cure.

I’ve installed hundreds of inserts(and am super comfortable with paper templates), and just moved to SLC. I’m pretty busy til this weekend but am willing to help if you’re stumped. You have all the tools?

Most, if not all REIs will do it... not sure on the success rate, but having a big ass company that can give you new skis if they screw them up is pretty nice...

Like everyone is saying on here, its not hard to do yourself, just very time consuming.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I don't really find it all that more time consuming than drilling a regular bindings. For me the most time consuming parts are:

1. Aligning the paper jig
    2. Tapping the holes

Gotta do both either way...