Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    with the NX on my e-bike the shifter only lets me shift up/down one gear at a time so Santa Cruz are trying to save me from myself cuz the EP8 motor makes 4 times the power of a human

So I will often pause to shift as if i am riding a motorcycle cuz it can't hurt to give the gear train a break

also the must make shifts under power are not that necessary when you can just make an easy shift and get back on the power

going from 11-46 XT on the yeti to 12spd NX on the bullet I was pretty happy with both of them, no droppedd chains with either system
    Yeah, there is an ebike specific GX shifter as well that limits the shift to one cog per push.

Before the SRAM E-specific stuff, broken chains and cassette teeth were a very real thing due to goon shifting.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Supply n demand, last summer I got 3800 $CAN for a 3 yr old 5.5 in really good shape that I had paid 5500 $

I sold it to a medical professional, so while at her pay grade she could afford a new Yeti it didnt matter how much $$$$$$ she makes there were no Yeti's TO buy

right now its a good time to sell but then can you find new product ?
    Looks like the bike I want has a short lead time.

I know enough over the last 2 years that you don't sell your old bike until your new bike is already in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    But that is the magic bullet!

Hot wax and new generation drip wax (Silca Super Secret, Tru Tungsten, etc.) are constantly shedding wax particles which carries dirt out with it. Older gen wax lubes (Squirt, Smoove) don’t attract as much dirt as oil, but they don’t shed, so they aren’t actively expelling dirt.

Dirt sticks to oils, and the only way to get rid of it is to thoroughly clean the chain. You can add more oil on top, but the dirt is still in there grinding away.
    I used squirt on a stationary trainer with my road bike in the house, I found it did shed those little bits of wax so i had to put down a piece of cardboard to catch it all, I never clean the chain just apply and let it flake off

Drip-on squirt is as easy to use as a drip-on petro you just have to do it apres ride so the water can evaporate/ wax can dry which takes a couple hrs depending on weather.

From what I read some people wana make drip-on wax harder by removing the chain to apply drip-on, or they say it doesnt work but in genral they don't appear to read simple instructions so at some point I give up telling them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I know enough over the last 2 years that you don't sell your old bike until your new bike is already in hand.
    I realized that ^^ , so I had ordered a Orbea Rise so I sold the 5.5 cuz I figured what are the chances of an MD showing up with 3800 ?

then a Bullit just shows up out of the blue ... cha-ching !

I used squirt on a stationary trainer with my road bike in the house, I found it did shed those little bits of wax so i had to put down a piece of cardboard to catch it all, I never clean the chain just apply and let it flake off

Drip-on squirt is as easy to use as a drip-on petro you just have to do it apres ride so the water can evaporate/ wax can dry which takes a couple hrs depending on weather.

From what I read some people wana make drip-on wax harder by removing the chain to apply drip-on, or they say it doesnt work but in genral they don't appear to read simple instructions so at some point I give up telling them
    I had been using Squirt for the past few years, and was pretty happy with it. But the hot wax stays much, much cleaner. The wax is just much harder/drier and doesn’t have the ‘tackiness’ of Squirt.

The other thing I like about the hot melt is that if I want to clean the chain, I can literally just swish it around in a few changes of boiling water and it comes out sparkling clean. Can’t do that with Squirt, so I just never bothered cleaning it. And even if you don’t bother cleaning the chain (I haven’t been cleaning the road chain) submerging in the pot of wax is flushing out any contamination in the chain (and very slowly contaminating the wax in the pot)

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That thread is shockingly short for a lube discussion.

Also love that WG went from “I’m doing Queso” -> “On to formulation #2, love this tinkering shit” -> “Fuck this, bought UFO drip” in only three days.

I had been using Squirt for the past few years, and was pretty happy with it. But the hot wax stays much, much cleaner. The wax is just much harder/drier and doesn’t have the ‘tackiness’ of Squirt.

The other thing I like about the hot melt is that if I want to clean the chain, I can literally just swish it around in a few changes of boiling water and it comes out sparkling clean. Can’t do that with Squirt, so I just never bothered cleaning it. And even if you don’t bother cleaning the chain (I haven’t been cleaning the road chain) submerging in the pot of wax is flushing out any contamination in the chain (and very slowly contaminating the wax in the pot)
    The chains get Squirted every 3 rides, If I tried to hot wax it would just never get done cuz i don't like to work on bikes that much

That thread is shockingly short for a lube discussion.

Also love that WG went from “I’m doing Queso” -> “On to formulation #2, love this tinkering shit” -> “Fuck this, bought UFO drip” in only three days.
    Haha. Shit I love working on bikes, but the hot wax crock pot thing honestly didn't impress me all that much. Better than crappy oil lubes that attract dirt, yes. Better than UFO? Not in my experience.

The chains get Squirted every 3 rides, If I tried to hot wax it would just never get done cuz i don't like to work on bikes that much
    replied in the Queso thread to keep Toast happy (already got myself on his bad side with the helmet fit discussion, need to make amends)

Haha. Shit I love working on bikes, but the hot wax crock pot thing honestly didn't impress me all that much. Better than crappy oil lubes that attract dirt, yes. Better than UFO? Not in my experience.
    Also replied in Queso thread

replied in the Queso thread to keep Toast happy (already got myself on his bad side with the helmet fit discussion, need to make amends)
    Ha! Queso makes everything better. Including chains, obviously.

What bike do I want?

I’m curious to see why the Transition Sentinel doesn’t get mentioned in the conversation for 160ish bikes.

It’s got the long trail travel like a Smash (160/150r) or full enduro travel with a Cascade Link and longer fork (170/165r). 30% progression with the CL for easy coil use. There’s new frames available around even if not from Transition directly.

interested to hear impressions of the rear linkage setup on the gnarvana

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was gonna say to get the red one, but those only come in black. Get the red stickers maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I was gonna say to get the red one, but those only come in black. Get the red stickers maybe?
    I'm either going black on black or with purple stickers.

There purple is kinda fucshia-esque.

I'm pretty sure I am going Gnarvana. Someone at GG hooking it up!
    If your race courses are as nasty as they look in the photos, it's a solid choice for making it through in one piece. The Revved GGs are fucking tanks.

Trigger fucking pulled. Big thanks to GG for hooking it up fat!! I will be selling my SB150 on here for a screaming deal once I get the new rig.

Hijacking this thread now that WRG has a new steed incoming.

I'm looking for a new frame. Currently on a Megatrail MX. Nothing seriously wrong with the bike, but I've got the 2 year itch. I'm looking for something 150-160mm travel, highly progressive, poppier than the Megatrail while still running coil, lighter (for more play), and mullet/mixed wheel sizes. I could *maybe* run 29 again but at 5'8", I've been really enjoying not having the rear tire buzz my ass every ride. Ideally something with a tad shorter wheelbase than my current setup, for snappier handling on my mostly flowy trails.

My shortlist:
    * Bronson (ticks the most boxes, but can't fucking order a frame. ETA who the fuck knows)
    * Patrol, in the inevitable carbon version. Ticks a lot of boxes but will be longer / slacker. Lighter than Megatrail but heavier than SC. ETA: guessing spring release, fall delivery if I order immediately on release.
    * Rallon. Doesn't seem to tick many boxes other than being lighter. ETA unclear, haven't looked too closely.
    * SJ Evo. Ticks all the boxes except progression (less progressive than MT). Currently frames are available within 30 min drive.
    * WAO Arrival. Supposedly they're selling frame-onlys in the spring. Got great reviews on PB & Blister, as exceptionally light and poppy feeling. No MX version, and would require a new rear wheel (including hub). ETA maybe summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Hijacking this thread now that WRG has a new steed incoming.

I'm looking for a new frame. Currently on a Megatrail MX. Nothing seriously wrong with the bike, but I've got the 2 year itch. I'm looking for something 150-160mm travel, highly progressive, poppier than the Megatrail while still running coil, lighter (for more play), and mullet/mixed wheel sizes. I could *maybe* run 29 again but at 5'8", I've been really enjoying not having the rear tire buzz my ass every ride. Ideally something with a tad shorter wheelbase than my current setup, for snappier handling on my mostly flowy trails.
    YT Capra? Those things are super progressive and have a mullet option, and they're not crazy long.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    YT Capra? Those things are super progressive and have a mullet option, and they're not crazy long.
    Hmm, I hadn't really been looking at it that closely since they don't sell bare frames, and they have a pretty awful warranty reputation. But the lower end one is only like $800 more than a SC frame.

What bike do I want?

Sweet^

I guess we can make this the official ponder new bikes thread, so here goes hijack #2…

The GF wants to get more into mountain biking (which I FULLY support) this summer and I’m helping her with trying to find a good fit.

Some background on her:
    -Limited experience w/ mtn biking
    -Interested mainly with trail riding and the occasional day at a bike park
    -Located in JH
    -Very athletic, probably more than me, runs ultras and shit

I’ve looked at a lot of models from a lot of brands and to me the Spec Stumpy / Stumpy Evo Comp seems like the best value buy in terms of components and what type of riding we have around here. I took her out a few times last season, once at Targhee bike park, and she did great.

I’m really trying to remove myself from the decision making process here, but I have poured over the geo charts for each of those models and I honestly think between the two that the Evo is the move. Will she ever be hucking off stuff, probably not. But between the riding on the pass, and Targhee and JH bike parks nearby I don’t think the extra travel would go to waste.

Would there really be that much of a difference between the stumpy and stumpy evo in terms of climb-ability? The geo is seriously close enough that I don’t see the fit being much different between the two (she’s already sat on the Evo and it looks good in terms of stand over and cockpit ergonomics). Aside from the stumpy being a bit lighter than the Evo I’m not seeing a large enough difference to justify not going with the longer travel of the Evo. Evo also has a lot of geo adjustability which makes it easy to set up steep for trail riding and then lower/slacken for a day at the park.

Someone talk to me here.

Oh, and we happen to have a few LBS in the area that are Spec dealers with these bikes in stock NOW which does play into this a bit.