Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Off the top of my head, the other high pivot idler enduro bikes released this year were GT, Norco, and Devinci. PB reviewed the GT & Norco, and Vital did the Devinci.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Of all the HP bikes I have found I like the look of the Forbidden the best. Looks like they are sold out of frames at the moment. See if I hear anything back from GG first.

I do wish this was XT though. I really don't know if I can go back to SRAM after running XT 12sp the past two seasons.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3205697/

after being on XT for the l ast 3 yars I thot the same thing going from XT to NX

but the sram stuff worked fine IME

I'm thinking maybe all this stuff is really good nowdays ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah IDK, my SB150 had GX on it and it was fucking horseshit. It was "lightly used" though and IDK if that particular groupset was just shitty. I went XT 12spd > GX for like 1 week and hated it > Back to XT 12spd.

My experience, and my friends, is that Shimano and Sram are both great when new, but Sram goes to shit once it has some miles on it. Even the Deore stuff seems to shift great with a season of use on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Of all the HP bikes I have found I like the look of the Forbidden the best. Looks like they are sold out of frames at the moment. See if I hear anything back from GG first.

I do wish this was XT though. I really don't know if I can go back to SRAM after running XT 12sp the past two seasons.

That’s a really nice looking bike…. Damn

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think people need to replace cables and housing more regularly on sram stuff and I have defiantly see GX stuff go to shit really quickly. For some reason XO1 seems way more solid to me… I’ve put 3500 miles on two different bikes with XO1 and both have shifted great the whole time.

I have an XT bike in the fleet now and it’s ‘good’ but the chains seem to wear way faster and I’m thinking the cassette will as well.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    My experience, and my friends, is that Shimano and Sram are both great when new, but Sram goes to shit once it has some miles on it. Even the Deore stuff seems to shift great with a season of use on it.

IMO and from the experience of dealing with lots of demo bikes over the last several years... there's a huge step up in reliability and durability when you go from GX to X01. It seems like the recent GX stuff is a bit better, but all the X01 drivetrains I've had recently has been mostly bombproof.

On the other hand, I've had a bunch of problems this year with SLX and XT shifters and derailleurs. I think I warrantied more this year than all the other years combined.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    IMO and from the experience of dealing with lots of demo bikes over the last several years... there's a huge step up in reliability and durability when you go from GX to X01. It seems like the recent GX stuff is a bit better, but all the X01 drivetrains I've had recently has been mostly bombproof.

On the other hand, I've had a bunch of problems this year with SLX and XT shifters and derailleurs. I think I warrantied more this year than all the other years combined.
    X2 on all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I have an XT bike in the fleet now and it’s ‘good’ but the chains seem to wear way faster and I’m thinking the cassette will as well.
    12-sp XTR chains had great longevity in Zero Friction wear testing. May want to consider that upgrade if you’re wearing out XT chains too quickly.

Also, regardless of chain, consider using a wax lube if you’re not already.

The high pivot/idler thing definitely have me interested.
    They are essentially non existent right now, but the Range is a very impressive bike if you’re into the idler/hp bikes. I was blown away by how comfortable it was going fast on my first ride. Now I scare myself once to twice every ride. It’s fast. I am more comfortable going race pace on it than my aurum hsp.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post

Also, regardless of chain, consider using a wax lube if you’re not already.
    Wellthereitis.gif

I'd cop that then swap a few parts... looks to check your boxes minus drivetrain.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Also, regardless of chain, consider using queso lube if you’re not already.
    FIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I'd cop that then swap a few parts... looks to check your boxes minus drivetrain.
    Ughh, that price tag though.

This is basically my bike now, minus it hasn't been through war. The paint on mine is pretty haggard. Even using the touch up paint you can clearly see all the rock wounds. I guess I should take pics of mine and try to figure out what it's worth.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3207679/

IME petro lubes work ok , wax also works ok, wax is just cleaner, but you gotta use any chain lube there isnt a magic bullet

I usually go 3 rides with wax before reapplying

more often with petro lube

I got a Forbidden Druid this year and freaking love it, the high pivot gimmick is real and works great. Does best on steep gnarly trail, the more rocks and roots the better the suspension feels. Did some bike park laps on it and it will keep up with the bigger bikes (up to 160) but does have limits.
    Still pedals well, but is on the heavier side, and is maintenance intensive
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    wax is just cleaner
    But that is the magic bullet!

Hot wax and new generation drip wax (Silca Super Secret, Tru Tungsten, etc.) are constantly shedding wax particles which carries dirt out with it. Older gen wax lubes (Squirt, Smoove) don’t attract as much dirt as oil, but they don’t shed, so they aren’t actively expelling dirt.

Dirt sticks to oils, and the only way to get rid of it is to thoroughly clean the chain. You can add more oil on top, but the dirt is still in there grinding away.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    X2 on all of that.
    X3. I’d even go as far as to select GX before XT.

I do think the Shimano stuff is well suited on e-bikes where the probability of less experienced riders flushing through gears under the high torque of the motor is perhaps increased.

And yet another thread sidetracked to lube discussion lol.

Ceramic Speed UFO Drip. See the light.

Various factors are still pushing be back to the Gnarvana. The latest Vital review makes it sound like the perfect Big Sky bike and would do well on other super chunky enduro races.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    X3. I’d even go as far as to select GX before XT.

I do think the Shimano stuff is well suited on e-bikes where the probability of less experienced riders flushing through gears under the high torque of the motor is perhaps increased.
    with the NX on my e-bike the shifter only lets me shift up/down one gear at a time so Santa Cruz are trying to save me from myself cuz the EP8 motor makes 4 times the power of a human

So I will often pause to shift as if i am riding a motorcycle cuz it can't hurt to give the gear train a break

also the must make shifts under power are not that necessary when you can just make an easy shift and get back on the power

going from 11-46 XT on the yeti to 12spd NX on the bullet I was pretty happy with both of them, no droppedd chains with either system

Ceramic Speed UFO Drip. See the light.
    That was the ‘etc.’ in my previous comment. Knew there was a third one, but couldn’t remember specifics off the top of my head.

I started using Molten Speed Wax a couple months ago, and super pleased with that so far. I watched a Silca video on hot waxing and it was ridiculously complicated. Watched a Zero Friction video, and super simple. I do simple.

That was the ‘etc.’ in my previous comment. Knew there was a third one, but couldn’t remember specifics off the top of my head.

I started using Molten Speed Wax a couple months ago, and super pleased with that so far. I watched a Silca video on hot waxing and it was ridiculously complicated. Watched a Zero Friction video, and super simple. I do simple.
    I did the hot wax thing for a minute. The results weren't worth the effort IMO. The UFO Drip is incredible. Easy to apply. Lasts a really long time.

Anyone tried Nair yet for a more permanent, clean, tidy solution?

Wow people are really shooting for the stars.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3179688/

I think mine would go pretty quick for $3500.
    Supply n demand, last summer I got 3800 $CAN for a 3 yr old 5.5 in really good shape that I had paid 5500 $

I sold it to a medical professional, so while at her pay grade she could afford a new Yeti it didnt matter how much $$$$$$ she makes there were no Yeti's TO buy

right now its a good time to sell but then can you find new product ?