Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 85
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    11,720
    If she is willing to consider Middlebury, which is not a business school, she should look at both Babson and BC which are both business schools, and both easier to get in to.
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    8,015
    Has she considered College?


  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    25,203
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    In addition to UPS and Lewis & Clark, I'd look at Willamette, Reed, and Whitman. My daughter (currently a senior in HS) visited all 5 and liked Willamette the best.
    FWIW, Reed is not really a place where people go for business degrees.
    They're awfully libuhral ahrtsy fartsy there.

    It's great for STEM (turns out highest percentage of STEM Ph.Ds per STEM grads in the country) and classical subjects though.

    It's a feeder school for graduate degrees in academia mostly with a few people doing more practical stuff like law and med school.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    15,900
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Has she considered College?

    Yes, the university of Oregon (Animal House) was on her list! Track Town would be legit for her.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks to this thread I looked up tuition costs for some of these schools. HOLY SHIT, that’s expensive!

    I think our total student loans maxed out at about $60K for my daughter, who graduated 13 years ago. These days, that’s less than 1 year at many of these places. Don’t really know how people do that.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    underground
    Posts
    927

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    9,104
    If a kid wants to live an outside life Middlebury is a top choice. The ski area kicks ass, the XC ski area does too and the mt biking is top notch. The town appears to be vibrant and successful and the area is beautiful. Williams has a similar outdoorsy potential but not on the same level.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 11-30-2021 at 05:55 AM.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    6,666
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    This is a big one. Especially for a business major, I think. A CU degree will set you up extremely well in CO. A Boston College degree does the same in Mass. But move across the country and those degrees, while still valuable, won't carry the same clout.
    Yes and no. Boston metro is good because of the density of schools and where the alums go. I know when I was in the bay area it was a third bostonians/new york metro people, then a third internationals and maybe a third local.
    If she's doing a business degree and wants to pursue that, she'll want an undergrad with hard math like CompSci or even math. Psych isn't bad either as long as she takes the statistical courses. Being able to rapidly interpret data and smell magical math is invaluable to any business leader.
    I'd highly recommend she go somewhere that's different from where she is - as a CO native, she probably knows CO culture pretty well - time to explore another one. I didn't mature as fast when I was around the familiar - it was only once I started interacting with cultures that were different that I really started learning about life. Pop that bubble.
    Lots of good schools here, but as others noted - make it about the academics, not the creature comforts.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    27,216
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    If a kid wants to live an outside life Middlebury is a top choice. The ski area kicks ass, the XC ski area does too and the mt biking is top notch. The town appears to be vibrant and successful and the area is beautiful. Williams has a similar outdoorsy potential but not on the same level.
    yeah, had I known then what I know now about myself and what makes me tick, and wanted a similar academic environment to where I went (Haverford), Middlebury would be very high on my list today.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,248
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Yes and no. Boston metro is good because of the density of schools and where the alums go. I know when I was in the bay area it was a third bostonians/new york metro people, then a third internationals and maybe a third local.
    If she's doing a business degree and wants to pursue that, she'll want an undergrad with hard math like CompSci or even math. Psych isn't bad either as long as she takes the statistical courses. Being able to rapidly interpret data and smell magical math is invaluable to any business leader.
    I'd highly recommend she go somewhere that's different from where she is - as a CO native, she probably knows CO culture pretty well - time to explore another one. I didn't mature as fast when I was around the familiar - it was only once I started interacting with cultures that were different that I really started learning about life. Pop that bubble.
    Lots of good schools here, but as others noted - make it about the academics, not the creature comforts.
    Yeah, I mean, if you can pull off the undergrad math or engineering major, do a couple years as an analyst at a big company and then go and get your MBA, that's a good way to do it.

    But, having done heavier quantitative lifting like that myself, it's not valued as much in corporate America as you would hope. When your boss struggles through an accounting degree, knowing how to code and do statistical work can get you locked in a back room doing all the real work while empty suits climb the corporate ladder. But that might just mean I need a new job. Lolz.

    Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah, had I known then what I know now about myself and what makes me tick, and wanted a similar academic environment to where I went (Haverford), Middlebury would be very high on my list today.
    I spent a summer at Middlebury getting my ass kicked in the summer language programs back in the 90s. Lots of nice country roads for running around there, and I recall there was climbing a short drive from campus, though I can't speak to the quality. I guess there's a ski area too.

    Middlebury's language programs are a real strength / differentiator if that's of interest.
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 11-30-2021 at 10:37 AM.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Movin' On
    Posts
    3,021
    Circling back to say that had I known about UBC it definitely would have been in my consideration set.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    4,608
    “Been down so long it looks like up to me”: when people in this thread went to college:: “the rules of attraction” dreams of New England liberal arts colleges in this thread: op’s daughter going to college

  14. #64
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,463
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    “Been down so long it looks like up to me”: when people in this thread went to college:: “the rules of attraction” dreams of New England liberal arts colleges in this thread: op’s daughter going to college
    SAT no longer required


    but i guess it no longer does analogies either anyway

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    17,141
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    “Been down so long it looks like up to me”: when people in this thread went to college:: “the rules of attraction” dreams of New England liberal arts colleges in this thread: op’s daughter going to college
    Don't bogaRt that joint my friend, pass it over to me.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NW WA
    Posts
    265
    WWU double alum + former faculty here. Western would be a great location if she wants something small to mid-sized, laid back, and outdoors.

    But I would encourage you both to be realistic about what she wants out of college and how much you are willing to spend/she is willing to go into debt. Some folks in this thread have knocked on community college, but I can tell you that at least in Bellingham, the quality of teaching for 1st and 2nd year courses is equivalent at Whatcom Community College and Western Washington University (although there is less range in available classes at WCC). I have two friends who graduated from Western as department student of the year (one in history, one in business) and both did 2 years at community college before transferring to Western, so don't reject the community college option for fear of poor academic standards (of course this may not be a concern if you have dentist money). I did all 4 years of my undergrad at Western, but only because I was eligible for National Merit scholarships that made it cheaper than community college. Even with WUE rates, it would be pretty easy to rack up $80k in student debt in 4 years of school, and she won't be graduating into the most promising job market if current trends continue.

    I've done a fair amount of advising for high school seniors and first-year college students so shoot me a PM if you have any other questions (about Western Washington University or college in general) - I'd be happy to discuss my own experience and what I saw with many of my students.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    WWU double alum + former faculty here. Western would be a great location if she wants something small to mid-sized, laid back, and outdoors.

    But I would encourage you both to be realistic about what she wants out of college and how much you are willing to spend/she is willing to go into debt. Some folks in this thread have knocked on community college, but I can tell you that at least in Bellingham, the quality of teaching for 1st and 2nd year courses is equivalent at Whatcom Community College and Western Washington University (although there is less range in available classes at WCC). I have two friends who graduated from Western as department student of the year (one in history, one in business) and both did 2 years at community college before transferring to Western, so don't reject the community college option for fear of poor academic standards (of course this may not be a concern if you have dentist money). I did all 4 years of my undergrad at Western, but only because I was eligible for National Merit scholarships that made it cheaper than community college. Even with WUE rates, it would be pretty easy to rack up $80k in student debt in 4 years of school, and she won't be graduating into the most promising job market if current trends continue.

    I've done a fair amount of advising for high school seniors and first-year college students so shoot me a PM if you have any other questions (about Western Washington University or college in general) - I'd be happy to discuss my own experience and what I saw with many of my students.
    Western Washington has always been one of my dream schools to teach at. Not that I know that much about the school itself, but I thought Bellingham would be an ideal place to live and it has a specific quantitative social science program. They had a job that I vaguely fit a few years ago, but they weren't interested. I teach at a more comparable school now, so maybe once I'm tenured I'll see if they need someone to fill out their Data Science program as it looks like it's basically cobbled together form CS stuff right now. I think I might have a hard time getting my wife away from perpetual sunshine though (and the cost of housing seems to have really risen in the last few years).

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,326
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Western Washington has always been one of my dream schools to teach at. Not that I know that much about the school itself, but I thought Bellingham would be an ideal place to live and it has a specific quantitative social science program. They had a job that I vaguely fit a few years ago, but they weren't interested. I teach at a more comparable school now, so maybe once I'm tenured I'll see if they need someone to fill out their Data Science program as it looks like it's basically cobbled together form CS stuff right now. I think I might have a hard time getting my wife away from perpetual sunshine though (and the cost of housing seems to have really risen in the last few years).
    I just heard about a great opportunity at the University in Iskenderun. You would know every local custom, blend in...

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    I just heard about a great opportunity at the University in Iskenderun. You would know every local custom, blend in...
    I absolutely would. As long as anyone there speaks English!

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    6,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Yeah, I mean, if you can pull off the undergrad math or engineering major, do a couple years as an analyst at a big company and then go and get your MBA, that's a good way to do it.

    But, having done heavier quantitative lifting like that myself, it's not valued as much in corporate America as you would hope. When your boss struggles through an accounting degree, knowing how to code and do statistical work can get you locked in a back room doing all the real work while empty suits climb the corporate ladder. But that might just mean I need a new job. Lolz.

    Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    The most successful tech and business people I've seen are one of three things:
    1. Work twice the hours of everyone else (ops) and have a good read on people
    2. Can sell ice to an Inuit
    3. Have enough hard skills to cut through the bullshit.

    There's plenty of shitty execs out there, but those with some semblance of balance lean towards the hard skills side, as it's not as easily picked up conceptually.
    Also yes, find a better place that promotes fewer jackholes.
    I thoroughly enjoyed my time at UNH, but it has nowhere near the network/opportunity of being a midd kid or similar.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,852

    College Selection?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah, had I known then what I know now about myself and what makes me tick, and wanted a similar academic environment to where I went (Haverford), Middlebury would be very high on my list today.
    This x2…..Having gone through the whole process with both my daughters…I realize what a dumbass, stubborn mule I was when I was 18 yo. My dad tried his best to show me the way back in 1988/89….and I really missed out on some great visits to see schools and all they have to offer.

    As someone who is in education for 25+ years and works closely with HS student athletes as they prepare for the transition from HS to college/trades/military..…..there is really good advice in this thread. Hopefully the OP takes advantage of the resources provided in this thread.

    Good luck….it’s a fun, interesting process.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    27,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    I just heard about a great opportunity at the University in Iskenderun. You would know every local custom, blend in...
    Does anyone here speak English, or even Ancient Greek?
    I still call it The Jake.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    15,900
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    SAT no longer required


    but i guess it no longer does analogies either anyway
    Not required, but if you have a good SAT/ACT score does it help?

    My nieces, one in college the other a senior in HS, elected not to take the SAT or ACT because in their pre-tests their scores were dogshit. their GPAs are good, and hope/hoped it would be enough in combination with their extracurriculars to get into a school of their liking. Oldest niece got into Syracuse. That's my only perspective on this so far...I haven't heard of people electing to take the SAT because it would increase their chances so I have to assume it doesn't. If that's the case why would anyone take the test?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  24. #74
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Not required, but if you have a good SAT/ACT score does it help?

    My nieces, on in college the other a senior in HS, elected not to take the SAT or ACT because in their pre-tests their scores were dogshit. their GPAs are good, so they banked, or are banking, on it being enough in combination with their extracurriculars. that's my only perspective on this so far...I haven't heard of people electing to take the SAT because it would increase their chances so I have to assume it doesn't. If that's the case why would anyone take the test?
    i suspect it does help

    but i have no special insight

    the current hold on standard test results may never come back or it may be back as soon as schools can be relied upon to stay open for the year

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Not required, but if you have a good SAT/ACT score does it help?

    My nieces, on in college the other a senior in HS, elected not to take the SAT or ACT because in their pre-tests their scores were dogshit. their GPAs are good, so they banked, or are banking, on it being enough in combination with their extracurriculars. that's my only perspective on this so far...I haven't heard of people electing to take the SAT because it would increase their chances so I have to assume it doesn't. If that's the case why would anyone take the test?
    It increases your chances if you get good scores. People who are likely to get good scores (or at least scores in ranges that are comparatively higher than their GPAs) are likely to take it. And a lot of top places still require them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •