Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks for the back pack education, but we will not be using back packs. We bought EU size carry-on luggage last year and will be using those. Thankfully many of the Air B&B's we looked at have a washing machine in them, as we don't want to check luggage even if we are both allowed 2 big ass suit cases on the booked flights.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The washing machine in the Airbnb option changed my travel packing volume dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    <snip> we are both allowed 2 big ass suit cases on the booked flights.
    Man... every time I saw *those* people on our trip to Italy I thought, "WTF were they thinking?"

On my 1-2 month backpacking trips through Europe (maybe 15X) I always schleped a Kelty Redcloud 6400. Still have it. Still use it. A bit heavy, but bomber and spacious. Plenty of room for anything with detachable packs for overnight or day trips.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 4.00.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1,007.5 KB 
ID:	394536

It just felt like an 85L pack.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

How about the young backpackers with 75L packs on and then 40L ones carried backwards on their chests? I saw this in the summer in Europe and also in Thailand…WTF do you need that much stuff for?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    How about the young backpackers with 75L packs on and then 40L ones carried backwards on their chests? I saw this in the summer in Europe and also in Thailand…WTF do you need that much stuff for?
    Right? I just always assume that they are moving there. I can travel indefinitely with 40 liters, sans gear for sport.

Especially in a tropical country.

One where a new T-shirt costs $2 and someone will wash and dry a load of laundry for you for $5

Probably all powerbanks and ring lights.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Man... every time I saw *those* people on our trip to Italy I thought, "WTF were they thinking?"
    You don't take an extra bag to stuff with food and booze to bring home??

I usually aimed for 35-45 liters of stuff in a 40 liter backpack and a duffle. Sometimes I'd check the duffle on the way out to take gifts to friends. That was for 2-3 week work trips without a car. When I needed a pelican case I aimed for just a backpack if I was taking trains. Adding ski gear complicated things though. So did traveling to Rome and Helsinki on the same trip.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    On my 1-2 month backpacking trips through Europe (maybe 15X) I always schleped a Kelty Redcloud 6400.
    When I did a 4 month summer trip to Europe I got by with an old Lowe Alpine day pack like this one:

A few times I could have used a slightly larger pack on that trip.

Especially if you had a sleeping bag with you. Northern Europe is wet....even in the summer
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You don't take an extra bag to stuff with food and booze to bring home??
    To be honest - that pack I took was only about 1/2 full - so I had plenty of room for wine and cured meats for the return home.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Especially if you had a sleeping bag with you. Northern Europe is wet....even in the summer
    Naw - this was a civilized trip.

I'm headed to Europe in Sept. 2022. we're flying into England for 4 days before heading down through France, Spain and Portugal. I'm actively looking for things to do. I'd love to visit some distilleries in Scotland, but we likely won't have time. We are going to spend three days in and around Bordeaux so we plan on visiting some wineries. On our way down to Bordeaux I'm hoping to some of the beaches associated with D-Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I'm headed to Europe in Sept. 2022. we're flying into England for 4 days before heading down through France, Spain and Portugal. I'm actively looking for things to do. I'd love to visit some distilleries in Scotland, but we likely won't have time. We are going to spend three days in and around Bordeaux so we plan on visiting some wineries. On our way down to Bordeaux I'm hoping to some of the beaches associated with D-Day.
    Hopefully you're going for the whole month? Driving? Trains? Flying? 4 days in England is definitely not enough time to really visit Scotland, esp if you're flying into London.

You will need to provide more details on how this is happening for useful assistance.

Guys, wake the fuck up, this is not a back pack thread.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Guys, wake the fuck up, this is not a back pack thread.
    It is now.

Sounds exhausting.

Just go to Ibiza for the entire trip. Rent a car and set yourself up in a finca somewhere in the interior. You will leave thinking that 20 days wasn't enough.

Sent from my SM-G996B using TGR Forums mobile app

Hmmmm, I live on an island off the coast of San Diego, so not really feeling your suggestion. What else do you have for me?

Hmmmm, I live on an island off the coast of San Diego, so not really feeling your suggestion. What else do you have for me?
    Gotcha.

So, in that case, for your Italy part, I wouldn't stay in either Venice or Florence. Actually, I would cut out the Tuscany part out of it and base yourself a little further North. Stay in Verona and take day trips (via train) from there. Easy to hit Venice, Bologna, Parma plus Vicenza, Padova, Modena (whatever suits your interest). One full day/evening in Venice is sufficient. If you already have flights from Florence, head down there for a full day to end your Italian portion. The main thing is that pretty much any mid-sized city or small city in Italy, you will be stoked with. Some have better museums, some have better Cathedrals, some have cooler palaces, all have incredible dining experiences (just have to do your research). You are going at a good time of the year and won't have to deal with too many crowds but if things return to normal, it will still be a little annoying in Venice and Florence.

Bordeaux: wouldn't be my first choice but admittedly, I have only spent the night there once in the past and also one night in St. Emilion. OK enough but nothing remarkable. I like the area around Toulouse better (Albi, Cordes sur Ciel, and all the small villages out there). Or San Sebastian is not much further. Good stuff to explore around there. La Rochelle?

Having said that, even your proposed itinerary is fine and it would be difficult to go wrong with that. Enjoy.

But, seriously, I am not a beach/nightclub person at all and Ibiza is still highly recommended. Or Menorca. Or North Cyprus.

Sent from my SM-G996B using TGR Forums mobile app

I was in Mallorca for a day at the end of my Mediterranean cruise on October and was very impressed. It would be quite a bit different than the other things you plan to visit and a nice way to end the trip relaxing and soaking up some sun.

edit: but, yeah, if you live in San Diego it might lose some of its appeal. Still a cool spot. Perhaps consider Barcelona?

Guys, thanks for the above suggestions. Paxti has me thinking for sure.

Bumping this thread rather than a new one (live2ski the trip must be close!). I've NEVER been to europe and don't know shit. period. I also struggle with english a bit, but I can speak redneck pretty damn well.

Truthfully I can be a little bit high strung traveling (understatement), tend to worry about connections schedules etc. but that's mostly been because for 20+ years I've been scalping around the 4 other MTs. Mrs. MT has been spoiling for a big Europe trip since forever. So I'm thinking next summer. We have a couple friend outside Nuremburg so we'd like to get to that city but absolutely open beyond that. I don't mind paying a bit. What advice does the collective have for a first trip? Eyeing a Uniworld River Cruise that is Nuremberg-Vienna with a sidebar to Prague; more so since I wouldn't have to drive (much) or fuck with a schedule.

Seriously, appreciate the collective's opinions / smart ass comments / etc. on this. Thanks Kindly MT
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Bumping this thread rather than a new one (live2ski the trip must be close!). I've NEVER been to europe and don't know shit. period. I also struggle with english a bit, but I can speak redneck pretty damn well.

Truthfully I can be a little bit high strung traveling (understatement), tend to worry about connections schedules etc. but that's mostly been because for 20+ years I've been scalping around the 4 other MTs. Mrs. MT has been spoiling for a big Europe trip since forever. So I'm thinking next summer. We have a couple friend outside Nuremburg so we'd like to get to that city but absolutely open beyond that. I don't mind paying a bit. What advice does the collective have for a first trip? Eyeing a Uniworld River Cruise that is Nuremberg-Vienna with a sidebar to Prague; more so since I wouldn't have to drive (much) or fuck with a schedule.

Seriously, appreciate the collective's opinions / smart ass comments / etc. on this. Thanks Kindly MT
    How long you planning to visit?