Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    It comes down to a balance of how much time are you going to spend with the pack on your back. If you just wear it from when you get off the plane until you get into a taxi you need less of a comfortable backpanel and less hip belt comfort etc

The Black Hole duffels come with detachable backpack straps but don't have a backpanel - this is adequate for a short carry - especially if you're only carrying 40L (usual carryon size) then you're probably not carrying a heavy bag.

If you need to walk a lot with the pack on your back then the equation changes

My friend brought this one to SE Asia last year - expensive but very slick

https://ca.peakdesign.com/products/t...11530908172332

I went with a Black Hole 40L instead (half the price) - but again the furthest we carried these on our backs was from an Uber to our airplane gate

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    If you are a cycling fan, Giro D'Italia happening May 6-29. Route

I have the Pata 40l black hole and my wife has that Osprey. Hers cinches down better and does carry better, but as mentioned, the distances we're typically carrying it's not a big deal. But yeah, backpack is waaay better for moving around planes, trains and automobiles than a roller.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Plus that duffle sucks compared to a real backpack as far as carrying. I can do a couple weeks (not skiing) in Europe with my 40L backcountry back and have on a couple of occasions.

My friends who are constantly traveling (e.g. 10-12 2-week plane-based trips a year) swear by these. Get a pair for the wife as a pre-trip excitment gift: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...PNT40_326.html
    Last time we visited Euro-land, I used this pack for a 10-day trip and carried it on with no issues:

Name:  Granite-Gear-Blaze-60.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  29.4 KB

Last week I flew to LAX for a week with that black hole 40L as my luggage - it easily swallows a lot of clothes and shoes due to its shape and lack of structure (which makes it less suitable for long periods of carrying)

Only issue is I forgot the backpack straps - so it was super annoying even on the short walks from the gate to the rental car. Neither a backpack nor a roller....won't make that mistake again.

re: carryon size - you can carryon literally any size bag as long as the gate dragons/attendants are not scrutinizing and you can stuff it in the overhead. But that is still a dice roll - and the reason carryon bags are usually in the 40-45L size is that is what is commonly "allowed" in NA (and international can often be smaller)

Anecdotally backpacks get less scrutiny than rollers - so that can be an advantage - and the lack of wheels and frames = easier to squish into places. So you can get away with larger volume backpacks.

My thought is- consolidate. If you try and do too many places in a 20 day trip, you likely wonít be as satisfied. Split the first 14 days in go-go-go mode, while the last 6 should be spent more-slowly, preferably planted somewhere. Iíve done waaaay too many trips where Iím on the gas pedal the whole time, and by the end wishing I had vacation to relax from my vacation. Cut at least 1-2 locations out. Yeah itíll seem like you are reducing the quality of your trip, but sometimes less is more when it comes to location-hopping. YMMV, but Iíd at least try to cut something out.

Some other thoughts:

Fuck Venice. Itís a victim of its own success and youís be hitting it during the high point of tourist season. Itíll degrade the experience if you donít go in the off season. Take the days you would do there and go to Tuscany instead. Rent a car and stay somewhere outside of Florence, taking day trips around the countryside.

Amsterdam is dope, and 3 days there would be just enough to enjoy it. Utrecht was always a great place to explore when in lived there, and only 30 minute train ride from Amsterdam central station.

If it was Bordeaux or Paris, Iíd go the former and end the trip in Bordeaux. Mind you, I was not a fan of Paris when I was there, and felt it suffered the same fate as Venice. The weather is likely to be better too.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    It comes down to a balance of how much time are you going to spend with the pack on your back. If you just wear it from when you get off the plane until you get into a taxi you need less of a comfortable backpanel and less hip belt comfort etc

The Black Hole duffels come with detachable backpack straps but don't have a backpanel - this is adequate for a short carry - especially if you're only carrying 40L (usual carryon size) then you're probably not carrying a heavy bag.

If you need to walk a lot with the pack on your back then the equation changes

My friend brought this one to SE Asia last year - expensive but very slick

https://ca.peakdesign.com/products/t...11530908172332

I went with a Black Hole 40L instead (half the price) - but again the furthest we carried these on our backs was from an Uber to our airplane gate
    Right. It's not a serious pack, but does the trick. Holds a ton, perfect overnight bag. I use it a lot.

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Last week I flew to LAX for a week with that black hole 40L as my luggage - it easily swallows a lot of clothes and shoes due to its shape and lack of structure (which makes it less suitable for long periods of carrying)

Only issue is I forgot the backpack straps - so it was super annoying even on the short walks from the gate to the rental car. Neither a backpack nor a roller....won't make that mistake again.

re: carryon size - you can carryon literally any size bag as long as the gate dragons/attendants are not scrutinizing and you can stuff it in the overhead. But that is still a dice roll - and the reason carryon bags are usually in the 40-45L size is that is what is commonly "allowed" in NA (and international can often be smaller)

Anecdotally backpacks get less scrutiny than rollers - so that can be an advantage - and the lack of wheels and frames = easier to squish into places. So you can get away with larger volume backpacks.
    I have been on eight flights with no problem, domestic and international.

Thanks for the back pack education, but we will not be using back packs. We bought EU size carry-on luggage last year and will be using those. Thankfully many of the Air B&B's we looked at have a washing machine in them, as we don't want to check luggage even if we are both allowed 2 big ass suit cases on the booked flights.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The washing machine in the Airbnb option changed my travel packing volume dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    <snip> we are both allowed 2 big ass suit cases on the booked flights.
    Man... every time I saw *those* people on our trip to Italy I thought, "WTF were they thinking?"

On my 1-2 month backpacking trips through Europe (maybe 15X) I always schleped a Kelty Redcloud 6400. Still have it. Still use it. A bit heavy, but bomber and spacious. Plenty of room for anything with detachable packs for overnight or day trips.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 4.00.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1,007.5 KB 
ID:	394536

It just felt like an 85L pack.
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

How about the young backpackers with 75L packs on and then 40L ones carried backwards on their chests? I saw this in the summer in Europe and also in ThailandÖWTF do you need that much stuff for?

How about the young backpackers with 75L packs on and then 40L ones carried backwards on their chests? I saw this in the summer in Europe and also in Thailand…WTF do you need that much stuff for?
    Right? I just always assume that they are moving there. I can travel indefinitely with 40 liters, sans gear for sport.

Especially in a tropical country.

One where a new T-shirt costs $2 and someone will wash and dry a load of laundry for you for $5

Probably all powerbanks and ring lights.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Man... every time I saw *those* people on our trip to Italy I thought, "WTF were they thinking?"
    You don't take an extra bag to stuff with food and booze to bring home??

I usually aimed for 35-45 liters of stuff in a 40 liter backpack and a duffle. Sometimes I'd check the duffle on the way out to take gifts to friends. That was for 2-3 week work trips without a car. When I needed a pelican case I aimed for just a backpack if I was taking trains. Adding ski gear complicated things though. So did traveling to Rome and Helsinki on the same trip.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    On my 1-2 month backpacking trips through Europe (maybe 15X) I always schleped a Kelty Redcloud 6400.
    When I did a 4 month summer trip to Europe I got by with an old Lowe Alpine day pack like this one:

A few times I could have used a slightly larger pack on that trip.

Especially if you had a sleeping bag with you. Northern Europe is wet....even in the summer
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You don't take an extra bag to stuff with food and booze to bring home??
    To be honest - that pack I took was only about 1/2 full - so I had plenty of room for wine and cured meats for the return home.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Especially if you had a sleeping bag with you. Northern Europe is wet....even in the summer
    Naw - this was a civilized trip.

I'm headed to Europe in Sept. 2022. we're flying into England for 4 days before heading down through France, Spain and Portugal. I'm actively looking for things to do. I'd love to visit some distilleries in Scotland, but we likely won't have time. We are going to spend three days in and around Bordeaux so we plan on visiting some wineries. On our way down to Bordeaux I'm hoping to some of the beaches associated with D-Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I'm headed to Europe in Sept. 2022. we're flying into England for 4 days before heading down through France, Spain and Portugal. I'm actively looking for things to do. I'd love to visit some distilleries in Scotland, but we likely won't have time. We are going to spend three days in and around Bordeaux so we plan on visiting some wineries. On our way down to Bordeaux I'm hoping to some of the beaches associated with D-Day.
    Hopefully you're going for the whole month? Driving? Trains? Flying? 4 days in England is definitely not enough time to really visit Scotland, esp if you're flying into London.

You will need to provide more details on how this is happening for useful assistance.

Talked to a cool distant relative on Thanksgiving who owns a home in Ireland for thirty years, and she was telling me about an overnight ferry they took from, I think, Cork to Brittany. You might want to look into something like that from where ever you are in the British Isles.

Checked the Patagonia website and they arent listing my pack anymore.