Velcro Cuff Repair?

So I realized again that the "end of season" repairs from last year that I needed to make on my jacket have become "beginning of season" repairs this year. The loopy part of the cuffs, the part that stays attached to the cuff and the hooks grab into, is done. No grip at all. I tried cleaning, etc, but decided to just remove them. Now that they are removed, what options are there other than sewing the new velcro on. I see there is some sticky back velcro which ive used on other projects, and some heat n bond stuff that might work. Or shoe goo? Or just try to find someone who knows their way around a sewing machine?
    Any advice/experience appreicated.

Take to a dry cleaners/ alterations shop? Pretty cheap for them to do what you describe, and will end up much cleaner than the Frankenstein stitches that we would make when sewing.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I tried the supposedly "heavy duty" stick on velcro on a boat cover and it failed miserably (ended up using snaps but you probably don't want to do that). As stated above, try to find a dry cleaner that does alterations or just somebody that does alterations. If you were in SoVT, I could point you to a friend.

just buy new velcro and glue it on with some kind of liquid ureathane like shoo goo/ seam grip/ aqua seal,

I did a thread on fixing your gear with aqua seal
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This method will work well, especially if you clamp the new velcro into place to get an even layer of aqua seal or what ever adhesive you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    just buy new velcro and glue it on with some kind of liquid ureathane like shoo goo/ seam grip/ aqua seal,

I did a thread on fixing your gear with aqua seal

If you decide to take the Velcro somewhere to be sewn, and depending on the thickness of where you want it sewn, it may work better to take it to a leather or shoe repair place. Their machines can deal with thicker fabrics better.

I went once to a seamstress to have some Velcro sewn onto Cordura and her sewing machine had an awful time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    If you decide to take the Velcro somewhere to be sewn, and depending on the thickness of where you want it sewn, it may work better to take it to a leather or shoe repair place. Their machines can deal with thicker fabrics better.

I went once to a seamstress to have some Velcro sewn onto Cordura and her sewing machine had an awful time.
    Boat cover, awning companies also if you have one maybe able to get through the fabric better than just a standard sewing machine and regular needle designed for thinner stuff. But then a good seamstress would tell you that their machine would be hard to handle that type of job if they have a lighter weight unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    This method will work well, especially if you clamp the new velcro into place to get an even layer of aqua seal or what ever adhesive you are using.
    I would try NOT clamping velcro cuz what I have seen happen on 2 occasions is the hook side is ok but AQS bleeds thru the fuzzy side of the velcro when its clamped and interferes with the holding power

I think I would mask an area the size of the velcro with some tape, apply AQS let it cure for maybe 5 hrs and then press the velcro into the AQS befroe it has cured too much
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Have someone sew it on. PM me if you need Velcro, I have lots.

Had a similar problem with my Flylow shell a couple seasons ago.

Luckily mom has a friend who worked as a seamstress at Ragged Mtn NH. Friend sewed shop brand and custom fleece, etc.. all kinds of outdoor gear, all day long.

It took her less than 15 min to completely replace both sides of my velcro on both sleeves with longer, wider strips than stock.. still waterproof and cost no more than a "thank you"

No issues since.

YRMV, but my advice is find a local pro, it'll be a quick easy job to them and will fix your gear for years to come.

**Edit - looks like you are in VT? If you want to travel to N. Conway I can hook you up with contact info, PM me.

Thx for all the tips!

I went for the "quick and easy and have it at home" technique and used some shoo goo and clamped it between some wood blocks. Preliminary inspection looks good. If that fails I've got a friend who is a seamstress and she can take care of it. Trying not to bug her with such a small thing, but...

I did pull out my mother in laws 1962 Sears sewing machine and figured out how it works, but seems like you need lots of practice to do that stuff well!

And I love Ragged Mountain! Thanks for the info--that place is the best. Still have some 30 year old gear from there in the basement I believe