Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Only has a few laps but we stepped down Zaugg, Perry’s and Last Dollar, finishing each on Slalom. Slalom was skiing all time and the dumps were great.

Attachment 398690
    Is that you? Did we just ski down to Koch Park together from 1A?

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Is that you? Did we just ski down to Koch Park together from 1A?
    Nah that’s my bud and main ski partner Alex.

I snuck in a few dumps this afternoon with him. S1 skiing well

Happy New Year!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	399165

See you on 1A first chair!

83" in seven days at Highlands

Ajax was outrageous this morning. Happy freakin New Year!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don't get as many days as I should, but caught one today, fo sho.

14 DT laps, 2 T bowls, I'm liking 2022 quite a bit so far. It was certainly 9 of the deepest inches I've skied.
    Normally, you would have to be at Snowbird for such under reporting.

jummo

Strong day, jummo!

I gave my wife the morning slot. Sounded pretty money at Ajax. I got out for the afternoon. Cone 2 was choice

I’ll be up the Bowl this afternoon for a few, then back to the grind Monday.

https://www.aspentimes.com/opinion/e...ing-fix-is-in/

Glad everyone is out getting after it. Thought this opinion peace was interesting.

With the kids being home all week and work being crazy, I didn’t get a ton of non-kid skiing in the last week, but just keep telling myself in a couple years they will be out storm chasing with me.

Hopefully a couple pockets of snow this week and I can get back to my weekday skiing…assuming Omnicron doesn’t close all the schools.

Our youngest, who just turned 4 a couple weeks ago did village to uhllroffs, over past high alpine to gondola, back up and down from elk camp with me yesterday…with hot chocolate and pizza in between.

Excited to see how her and the 6 yo son are skiing by end of AVSC.

Also interested to see how Ski CO’s local lessons go for the daughter. She missed the cutoff for AVSC (unless we wanted to do Wednesdays) so we put her in with Ski Co for the 8 days the boy has AVSC. Was actually cheaper then AVSC…lol.

Obviously, not the same, but what choice did we really have to get her full day lessons and the wife and I the full days without them.

They both were on day 10 yesterday, which I always feel good about. A lot of work getting them out, but will be worth it in the end.

Hoping AVSC does some moguls this year with the 6 yo. He has started to want to ski them.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Highlands was interesting yesterday; felt like some wind effect up in the Bowl. Steep n Deep was moderately tracked but skied heavy compared to what we’ve enjoyed the last two weeks.

Name:	Image1641225784.383750.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	399518

Name:	Image1641225771.967710.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	399517

P chutes and Lower Stein were fun and back in. Temerity still holding some great pockets.

The Red Ant loves to stir the pot. She makes a few good points but overloads her anti-gov barrage with too many ideas.

As a middle class person existing here because of APCHA, I don’t agree with her targeting the middle class as one of the main problems. If she wants a pure rentals and just 6mo housing for the conceptual ski bum, she’s advocating a feudal system that serves her needs as a Red Mountain high brow. If she wants pure capitalism then Aspen is only a “home” for those who have the means to pay full market rate. I think APCHA was created to support multiple levels of the working economy and the natural progression is that a middle class will develop and establish within it as time marches on. Yes there’s lots of corruption and cheating, but redlining the biggest group within the system is not a solution.

The real work is to clean up the system and figure out the retiree and empty bedroom problem. APCHA fell asleep at the wheel a long time ago and the issues are beyond their capabilities. Skippy’s angle is disingenuous and emotionally driven. We need real solutions at a larger scale, not petty reactionary symbolism.

Just some dads trying to teach the next generation the rewards of breaking trail...

Name:	IMG_2517.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	399534

Name:	IMG_2544.jpg 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	399535

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	399536

Name:	IMG_2549.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	399537
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Joey Joe Joe, that's awesome. Nice work.

As someone who works on housing (as part of my duties), I can tell you that there isn't much to chew on in that article that doesn't explode when you actually dig into the issue.
    It's a yes and issue. Should we do that, yeah, and we should be doing this... Should we have more housing for service industry workers... yup, middle class, yup, *gasp* doctors and attorneys etc, yup.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Trail breaking with the kids…badass!

Housing article…I found the retiree portion interesting. Her take on the middle class didn’t even register as something to consider. Nothing wrong with middle class families having homes and contributing to a vibrant community.

The idea of rotating retirees out of larger properties is what caught my mind.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    Just some dads trying to teach the next generation the rewards of breaking trail...

Name:	IMG_2517.jpg 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	399534

Name:	IMG_2544.jpg 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	399535

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	399536

Name:	IMG_2549.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	399537
    Fritz and Fabi or Mcnamara?

McNamara
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Trail breaking with the kids…badass!

Housing article…I found the retiree portion interesting. Her take on the middle class didn’t even register as something to consider. Nothing wrong with middle class families having homes and contributing to a vibrant community.

The idea of rotating retirees out of larger properties is what caught my mind.

You'd have to either keep stock empty to facilitate turnover, hope that stars align, and weather the political storm of getting gramma out of her unit.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

I was contemplating a trip to schralp your pow in February. The cost of a week to stay in Snowmass disabused my of that notion. Even though airfare wasn't all that bad. It's crazy what lodging is going for these days.
    https://www.booking.com/searchresult...s_raw=Snowmass

I mean, really nothing under $300/night. I don't think kicking granny out of her 3 bedroom retirement domicile is going to make a dent.

I get it, it's apples to oranges with the rental market to the market for year round residential owner occupied market. But Aspen/Snowmass is just on a whole different level, even throwing out the $4,500 sq/foot mansions.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I mean, really nothing under $300/night. I don't think kicking granny out of her 3 bedroom retirement domicile is going to make a dent.
    https://www.basaltmountaininn.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CLsurf View Post
    Or https://www.stmoritzlodge.com/

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    You'd have to either keep stock empty to facilitate turnover, hope that stars align, and weather the political storm of getting gramma out of her unit.
    Some sort of program or incentive for them (and anyone else with more bedrooms than people in their unit) to downsize would be logical. Funny in the context of that article because I've heard Skippy bring that up several times.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Or https://www.stmoritzlodge.com/

Some sort of program or incentive for them (and anyone else with more bedrooms than people in their unit) to downsize would be logical. Funny in the context of that article because I've heard Skippy bring that up several times.
    I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, just that it'll be difficult and there is another side to that coin.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

2021/22 ASPEN/RFV Condtions

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, just that it'll be difficult and there is another side to that coin.
    The concept make sense, but it will be extremely difficult to pull off. I think there may be better, easier solutions out there.

I don’t have any solutions or experience with managing housing…however, as Jay mentioned, there should be some type of solution to empty bedroom issues. The rules seem really strict on who can live/stay in the units, so it is obviously tracked pretty tightly.

Removing the ownership aspect would in theory create more mobility and easier to get people to downsize, but there also needs to be some sort of value creation for the payments made by the occupants….meaning pure rental doesn’t work as well.

The allowed return on these units is fixed, and pretty low, correct? Any chance some sort of bonded fund with a greater return then what is allowed now that a portion of occupants rent goes into?

Make it more financially beneficial to rent a unit then it would be to buy it. Start with a voluntary program and all new occupants to the system.

I don’t know…more paperwork, another fund that can go bankrupt…etc. if it is insured with the properties as collateral, in theory it should be a similar or even lower risk then putting money in purchasing the real estate. Especially with the low allow returns.

Also have a fund that if occupants don’t maintain, due damage or follow the rules, could recoup some portion of those funds that is in a separate security bucket.

Just another random thought….

Campground opened yesterday.

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	399788

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I don’t have any solutions or experience with managing housing…however, as Jay mentioned, there should be some type of solution to empty bedroom issues. The rules seem really strict on who can live/stay in the units, so it is obviously tracked pretty tightly.

Removing the ownership aspect would in theory create more mobility and easier to get people to downsize, but there also needs to be some sort of value creation for the payments made by the occupants….meaning pure rental doesn’t work as well.

The allowed return on these units is fixed, and pretty low, correct? Any chance some sort of bonded fund with a greater return then what is allowed now that a portion of occupants rent goes into?

Make it more financially beneficial to rent a unit then it would be to buy it. Start with a voluntary program and all new occupants to the system.

I don’t know…more paperwork, another fund that can go bankrupt…etc. if it is insured with the properties as collateral, in theory it should be a similar or even lower risk then putting money in purchasing the real estate. Especially with the low allow returns.

Also have a fund that if occupants don’t maintain, due damage or follow the rules, could recoup some portion of those funds that is in a separate security bucket.

Just another random thought….
    The appreciation cap varies a bit across the whole spread of inventory, but it's usually is 3% or the change in Consumer Price Index whichever is less. No one is making any sort of return, but it's at least chasing inflation.

The shift to rentals continues to be whispered and would undeniably afford APCHA more control. When I was on the BG2 HOA there was a strong vibe about the City trying to make BG3 rentals, which we weren't in favor of. Vail's affordable housing program is something like 80+% rentals, which functions to provide turnover and control.

A secondary bond to fund an incentive program is not a bad idea, but who knows if it would be palatable to the community. There could be some interesting math and multipliers factored in to incentive people based on now-empty rooms, retirement, years working in the community, etc.

But skiing... I hadn't watched this when it came out but enjoyed it yesterday. Man does Tats look smooth in the bumps:

Man does Tats look smooth in the bumps:

Tats is my favorite to ski with, no matter the condition or terrain. Got out with him Christmas for a few laps, too fun.

Marcus is obviously a complete shredder too.... I haven't skied with him, just hung out with him at SIA/OR a bunch of years ago... super nice guy.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

The appreciation cap varies a bit across the whole spread of inventory, but it's usually is 3% or the change in Consumer Price Index whichever is less. No one is making any sort of return, but it's at least chasing inflation.

The shift to rentals continues to be whispered and would undeniably afford APCHA more control. When I was on the BG2 HOA there was a strong vibe about the City trying to make BG3 rentals, which we weren't in favor of. Vail's affordable housing program is something like 80+% rentals, which functions to provide turnover and control.

A secondary bond to fund an incentive program is not a bad idea, but who knows if it would be palatable to the community. There could be some interesting math and multipliers factored in to incentive people based on now-empty rooms, retirement, years working in the community, etc.

But skiing... I hadn't watched this when it came out but enjoyed it yesterday. Man does Tats look smooth in the bumps:
    3% is humble, but it's also paying down your mortgage over time - so when I moved from my first to second apcha, I had 'equity' even if it wasn't keeping up with anything. Perhaps no better than forced savings, but when I bailed from the system I needed every penny. plus a tax write off on interest.

apcha just sent me affidavits, like 'show us your w2, and swear that you live here full time' so it wouldn't be impossible to add a 'x #people for x #bedroom' feature (mine were all studios so maybe it already does?). Hard to enforce, short of having someone going around lots of checking.
    and as pointed out above, what do you do when your kids move out and there are no open 1 bedroom to move into, or maybe something of way lesser quality .. suck to move from those sick places on hopkins down to a place into 100 bldg truscott (I know they're currently rentals, just sayin).

Increasing the rental inventory % is interesting, and I like the 'value added' idea .. I once heard the fire dept's station rental units worked like this, they paid rent but got some portion of it back when they went to buy housing outside the system? Maybe I made that up.

The retirement piece is also interesting .. I think you can currently stay in apcha after you retire, with conditions? But some city/county housing goes away after you retire or take a non city/county job. Working your whole career, then having to leave your community within 6 months of retiring? so that would need a look.

With what's happened in the valley's RE picture in the last few years (especially) I doubt as many are making the transition to DVT free-market as they once did. And as people live longer and stop working as early as possible there's bound to come a time where there's even less owner-unit apcha housing turnover.

So then what, back to kicking out gramma?

I dunno what the solution is.
    north bound horse.