Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Ashcroft gate is open as of Thursday. I think we'll get the maroon gate open Saturday or Sunday.
    Sweet! I had murky plans to get on N Maroon this coming weekend but the wind/heat/dust may have foiled that.

We made a fools attempt at Sievers South last Saturday. Also foolishly tried to tandem our new e-Cargo bike. Both failed: bike was too heavy to control safely. Sievers had dirt for 1500’ above Maroon Creek Road.

We ended up walking a lot of pavement and skied some ok turns on the lower flank of Pyramid above Maroon Lake. Nice to be out; tons of people on N Maroon and Landry that day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1652187222.029907.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	415839

Name:	Image1652187254.381307.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	415840

Name:	Image1652187277.504467.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	415841

At least you got out to ski.

Looks like USFS will open Maroon on Saturday.

I think Dinkle is open now too. I'll check this afternoon. There is so much more dust on the snow after the last few days now too. We need another quick storm to cover it up for a few days. We are now down to ~70% snowpack for this date... it's going too fast.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

2021/22 ASPEN/RFV Condtions

Dinkle was still closed on Sunday when I rode skullbucket but may be open now

Wanted to get out skiing last weekend but the amount of wind seemed pretty unpleasant to be standing in up high. Hoping to put something together this weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I don’t get back till tomorrow night, but I’ll need to ride early Wednesday.
    Anyone ride North Rim or Sky Mountain yet?

I did a quick Deadline lap on my lunch break, overall very good. A little loose/dusty and some hoof prints in spots but no complaints. Great to have the backyard operational again.

Spun up Smuggler last night and rode Iowa Shaft and a loop around the valley real quick. A few downed trees between the bottom of new and old Iowa Shaft exits, but otherwise good to go. The wind picked up and suddenly the smoke from the smoldering burn was covering the whole Plunge>>Hummingbird hillside; pretty wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Dinkle was still closed on Sunday when I rode skullbucket but may be open now

Wanted to get out skiing last weekend but the amount of wind seemed pretty unpleasant to be standing in up high. Hoping to put something together this weekend
    It ended up opening about the 12th... my bad.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Wow, I never thought the World Cup would return to Aspen, let alone a men’s DH.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/worl...in-march-2023/

I’m conflicted, while I love the race and the international flavor it brings to town.
    It really screws up the flow and closes some of the best terrain for weeks, during the best part of the season.
    I wish they would hold it out at Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Wow, I never thought the World Cup would return to Aspen, let alone a men’s DH.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/worl...in-march-2023/

I’m conflicted, while I love the race and the international flavor it brings to town.
    It really screws up the flow and closes some of the best terrain for weeks, during the best part of the season.
    I wish they would hold it out at Highlands.
    Catch 22… the Aspen course is much more compelling. Definitely gets in your way though

And yeah, i didn’t think they were coming back until things were fixed at 1A

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Catch 22… the Aspen course is much more compelling. Definitely gets in your way though

And yeah, i didn’t think they were coming back until things were fixed at 1A

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Big surprise, especially after the 1A bluster... but I think it's a good thing. There's enough space for all of us, right?

The 1A bluster, was just a diversion to get the lift/hotel approved.
    I think this will be the one and only race.
    It’s a PR move by Skico’s, so they can say”see we saved the race”.

There’s also been some personnel changes at FIS which could well be a less sinister explanation for the return of racing to Aspen mountain without a new lift. 🤷

And Highlands venue is neither long enough nor challenging enough for a World Cup DH

I just don’t see how they will ever be able to hold the race, if or when, they finally start constructing the hotel.

Hitting the Belly Up tonight and next Saturday!

Hey Aspen Mags - wondering how the snow is holding on North Maroon at all, have a few days off and wanted to escape UT to ski it (and a couple other classics), any beta on conditions and wont turn down an offer to partner up!

Thanks all!
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Sky mtn trails were freaking incredible yesterday

About as good as Rim, 7* and Sky Mountain get.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Sky mtn trails were freaking incredible yesterday
    I went out last night at 6:45. Rode for 2 hours and saw zero people.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post
    Hey Aspen Mags - wondering how the snow is holding on North Maroon at all, have a few days off and wanted to escape UT to ski it (and a couple other classics), any beta on conditions and wont turn down an offer to partner up!

Thanks all!
    I don't have anything concrete, but I think the North Maroon moment has passed, from too much heat/wind/dust so far in May... Vic Major just crushed the Elks Traverse last week in 42hrs and it sounds like conditions, overall, were pretty poor. We got a nice coating this weekend, maybe a bit tomorrow, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to ski a real descent either way at this point

We went to Moab to meet friends from OR this past weekend; I only got on my bike for 1hr... Overall, not as busy as I suspected, but still something of a zoo.
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 05-23-2022 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I don't have anything concrete, but I think the North Maroon moment has passed, from too much heat/wind/dust so far in May... Vic Major just crushed the Elks Traverse last week in 42hrs and it sounds like conditions, overall, were pretty poor. We got a nice coating this weekend, maybe a bit tomorrow, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to ski a real descent either way at this point

We went to Moab to meet friends from OR this past weekend; I only got on my bike for 1hr... Overall, not as busy as I suspected, but still something of a zoo.
    Cool thanks, appreciate the heads up, if i were to hit id want the full descent to count it haha. Any clue on holy cross while we are at it?

Cool thanks, appreciate the heads up, if i were to hit id want the full descent to count it haha. Any clue on holy cross while we are at it?
    You missed your access window on that one.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You missed your access window on that one.
    On NMB or HC?

14ers.com may be a better place for up-to-date beta on CO 14ers.

On NMB or HC?
    HC. Tigiwon is gated, but there's not enough snow to sled to the TH. So you can do the suffer walk, but I doubt that is what a rational person would want to do.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    HC. Tigiwon is gated, but there's not enough snow to sled to the TH. So you can do the suffer walk, but I doubt that is what a rational person would want to do.
    I am all about suffering. I pride myself on the willingness to endure lol - if the line goes, im ok with hiking

Anyone know if Hobbit and Sunnyside are in yet or too squishy/snowy still?
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably