Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 683
  1. #276
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    But I gotta say, the overall skiing highlight was the 23rd at Buttermilk with my 6 year old. What an awesome resource that ski area is for people raising families in the Roaring Fork Valley. I can’t think of a better place to learn and build confidence.

    Thanks for the West Buttermilk parking area advice I received here a couple years ago.

    Glad you got the trifecta!

    We all love Buttermilk!

    I’ll probably be at Highlands tomorrow.
    All white and black.

  2. #277
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,142
    Perhaps this should go in the “Shit That Annoys You” thread but I was bummed to see AHSP prepping the bowl cat pickup area today.
    Reportedly going to start running tomorrow.

    I really wish they would stop running it all. 1000x better experience without it. Doesn’t seem to stop too many people from going except maybe some that shouldn’t be going anyway.

  3. #278
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A$pen, CO
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Perhaps this should go in the “Shit That Annoys You” thread but I was bummed to see AHSP prepping the bowl cat pickup area today.
    Reportedly going to start running tomorrow.

    I really wish they would stop running it all. 1000x better experience without it. Doesn’t seem to stop too many people from going except maybe some that shouldn’t be going anyway.
    Same! It's been great this season so far without the bowl cat.

  4. #279
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    8,899
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Perhaps this should go in the “Shit That Annoys You” thread but I was bummed to see AHSP prepping the bowl cat pickup area today.
    Reportedly going to start running tomorrow.

    I really wish they would stop running it all. 1000x better experience without it. Doesn’t seem to stop too many people from going except maybe some that shouldn’t be going anyway.
    Heard they’re running it to the summit now.

  5. #280
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Heard they’re running it to the summit now.
    Huh!
    I take it you like it running then? Genuinely curious why?

  6. #281
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,067

    2021/22 ASPEN/RFV Condtions

    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Heard they’re running it to the summit now.
    There’s slightly more truth to that then just cheek. A birdie told me about some wild sounding plans related to compaction. Need to get more info.

    Murmurs from AHSP imply that there’s less skier compaction in the bowl without the cat (seems plenty busy up there too me). With only 17 boot packers this year, the inbounds slide in Mushroom and staffing issues, I think they’re willing to look other options to improve the situation; maybe this is one? Or just marketing...

    But a big booo on the cat. I harassed both Kaplan and Schendler last year about making it a permanent removal. Bullshit to tout their geeen initiatives and then drive the diesel in circles to save Joe sea level 6min of “extra” hike.

  7. #282
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    8,899
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Huh!
    I take it you like it running then? Genuinely curious why?
    I’m just teasing. I’d prefer no cat at all.

    I was up there last weekend and it was as busy I’ve ever seen it and it hasn’t snowed in 2 weeks.

  8. #283
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    11,614
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    There’s slightly more truth to that then just cheek. A birdie told me about some wild sounding plans related to compaction. Need to get more info.

    Murmurs from AHSP imply that there’s less skier compaction in the bowl without the cat (seems plenty busy up there too me). With only 17 boot packers this year, the inbounds slide in Mushroom and staffing issues, I think they’re willing to look other options to improve the situation; maybe this is one? Or just marketing...

    But a big booo on the cat. I harassed both Kaplan and Schendler last year about making it a permanent removal. Bullshit to tout their geeen initiatives and then drive the diesel in circles to save Joe sea level 6min of “extra” hike.
    This and I've given the same ribbing, as have several others.

    JF's laps are insane, and making last bucket is just ridiculous. He's always been a ridiculous smooth skier, which reminds me I haven't taken a lap with him in way too long.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

  9. #284
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,465
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    There’s slightly more truth to that then just cheek. A birdie told me about some wild sounding plans related to compaction. Need to get more info.

    Murmurs from AHSP imply that there’s less skier compaction in the bowl without the cat (seems plenty busy up there too me). With only 17 boot packers this year, the inbounds slide in Mushroom and staffing issues, I think they’re willing to look other options to improve the situation; maybe this is one? Or just marketing...

    But a big booo on the cat. I harassed both Kaplan and Schendler last year about making it a permanent removal. Bullshit to tout their geeen initiatives and then drive the diesel in circles to save Joe sea level 6min of “extra” hike.
    #groomthebowl2022

    It’s always too bumpy and powdery in there anyway


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

  10. #285
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,730
    Count me as another that thinks the cat should never be used again.

    If you are too fat and lazy to hike, you shouldn’t be in the bowl.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  11. #286
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    17,190
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Count me as another that thinks the cat should never be used again.

    If you are too fat and lazy to hike, you shouldn’t be in the bowl.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Says every bc skier to every resort.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat

  12. #287
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    387
    I understand the sentiment. But, here's a story of a motorized lift up the bowl that could make you smile. About 15-20 years ago, I was visiting my sister's family on Christmas. Since the presents had been opened by 7:00 AM, I put on my ski clothes and made my way to Highlands. What I didn't realize was, the bowl hadn't opened yet that season. Let alone Temerity. The place was empty. As I contemplated whether to drop into temerity or climb, a patroller pulled up on a sled. He asked me if I wanted a ride. I took that cursed motorized sled ride a third of the way up. (the horror) Thanked and wished the troller a Merry Christmas. Then climbed slowly in solitude to the top. It was quiet, bluebird, deep, and light.

    I now understand what people are saying about the compaction. In a couple places it was a bit bony. The core shot was worth it.

    I wonder if ASC uses bio diesel in their snowcats. Not gonna say if I think they should have the snowcat or not. I'm one of those fat outta shape guys who doesn't know how to ski powder.

  13. #288
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    F'n Midwest again
    Posts
    2,474
    it is pretty cool to know that every other skier/boarder on top of the bowl only got there because they walked a significant distance.

    It's great to have some semblance of a backcountry zone, even if it's within the ski area, that rewards those who walk with better quality snow than the beat snow typically found via mechanized lifts.
    Aggressive in my own mind

  14. #289
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Mostly the Elks, mostly.
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    #groomthebowl2022

    It’s always too bumpy and powdery in there anyway
    +1.

    Make Ozone the noon groom.
    north bound horse.

  15. #290
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Says every bc skier to every resort.
    Ehhhh, not so much. In this era a majority of "bAcKcOuNtRy" skiers also ski the resort


    Snowboarder died this afternoon in the Hot Y's. Super sad and another shitty hurdle for AHSP to deal with

    https://www.aspentimes.com/news/snow...-hitting-tree/

  16. #291
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    11,614
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Ehhhh, not so much. In this era a majority of "bAcKcOuNtRy" skiers also ski the resort


    Snowboarder died this afternoon in the Hot Y's. Super sad and another shitty hurdle for AHSP to deal with

    https://www.aspentimes.com/news/snow...-hitting-tree/
    They've had a year already.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

  17. #292
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,354
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    +1.

    Make Ozone the noon groom.
    Ozone is so chalky and buffed out right now it might as well be groomed.

  18. #293
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Ozone is so chalky and buffed out right now it might as well be groomed.
    I was going to respond the same. Love a chalky ozone lap.

  19. #294
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    F'n Midwest again
    Posts
    2,474
    Is the lack of compaction this year due to the massive amount of snow in December?
    Last year, the season started super slow then a good storm at end of Jan (I think( and steady snow in Feb)), didn't pose huge loading issues.
    Last year was a no snowcat year also at Highlands.
    Aggressive in my own mind

  20. #295
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,730
    Well, wife blew out her ACL on Snowmass January 8th. Hopefully surgery Monday.

    So far, she has been a trooper. She is excited to get on the recovery side of things and save summer. First thing she asked the Doctor during MRI review was how best to be ready to ski next season. Hate that she is hurting and we miss a season with her…but proud of her passion for the sport.

    Fingers crossed for some snow Friday night. Losing out on ski days is the least of my worries, but hoping what’s left is good snow.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  21. #296
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Well, wife blew out her ACL on Snowmass January 8th. Hopefully surgery Monday.

    So far, she has been a trooper. She is excited to get on the recovery side of things and save summer. First thing she asked the Doctor during MRI review was how best to be ready to ski next season. Hate that she is hurting and we miss a season with her…but proud of her passion for the sport.

    Fingers crossed for some snow Friday night. Losing out on ski days is the least of my worries, but hoping what’s left is good snow.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Bummer! holler if she needs an Aspen PT rec!

  22. #297
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,354
    Sorry to hear about Mrs. Gretch, wishing her a speedy recovery.

    I got fitted for new kicks with Mr. Lindsay and Company yesterday. We went with the Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 S which will be my first non-Lange resort boot in about 15 years!

  23. #298
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Sorry to hear about Mrs. Gretch, wishing her a speedy recovery.

    I got fitted for new kicks with Mr. Lindsay and Company yesterday. We went with the Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 S which will be my first non-Lange resort boot in about 15 years!
    Yeah dude. I just got a new pair; I worked with Mark Rolfes at the Ski Shop. Still needs a few tweaks but the new version is a great upgrade on my 2016 130S

  24. #299
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    11,614
    Hanna!!! 18’ out of the pipe is no joke


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

  25. #300
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,067
    Another Friday with the middle school crew at Highlands. Pretty fun skiing with a couple inches, mostly DT laps. Took my chargers up to Ballroom; it looked inviting but the refrozen slush in the Y’s and lowest B’s is real.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642861864.124376.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	402314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •