Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    But I gotta say, the overall skiing highlight was the 23rd at Buttermilk with my 6 year old. What an awesome resource that ski area is for people raising families in the Roaring Fork Valley. I can’t think of a better place to learn and build confidence.

Thanks for the West Buttermilk parking area advice I received here a couple years ago.

Glad you got the trifecta!

We all love Buttermilk!

I’ll probably be at Highlands tomorrow.
    All white and black.

Perhaps this should go in the “Shit That Annoys You” thread but I was bummed to see AHSP prepping the bowl cat pickup area today.
    Reportedly going to start running tomorrow.

I really wish they would stop running it all. 1000x better experience without it. Doesn’t seem to stop too many people from going except maybe some that shouldn’t be going anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Perhaps this should go in the “Shit That Annoys You” thread but I was bummed to see AHSP prepping the bowl cat pickup area today.

I really wish they would stop running it all. 1000x better experience without it. Doesn’t seem to stop too many people from going except maybe some that shouldn’t be going anyway.
    Same! It's been great this season so far without the bowl cat.

Heard they’re running it to the summit now.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Huh!
    I take it you like it running then? Genuinely curious why?

2021/22 ASPEN/RFV Condtions

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    There’s slightly more truth to that then just cheek. A birdie told me about some wild sounding plans related to compaction. Need to get more info.

Murmurs from AHSP imply that there’s less skier compaction in the bowl without the cat (seems plenty busy up there too me). With only 17 boot packers this year, the inbounds slide in Mushroom and staffing issues, I think they’re willing to look other options to improve the situation; maybe this is one? Or just marketing...

But a big booo on the cat. I harassed both Kaplan and Schendler last year about making it a permanent removal. Bullshit to tout their geeen initiatives and then drive the diesel in circles to save Joe sea level 6min of “extra” hike.

Huh!
    I take it you like it running then? Genuinely curious why?
    I’m just teasing. I’d prefer no cat at all.

I was up there last weekend and it was as busy I’ve ever seen it and it hasn’t snowed in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    There’s slightly more truth to that then just cheek. A birdie told me about some wild sounding plans related to compaction. Need to get more info.

Murmurs from AHSP imply that there’s less skier compaction in the bowl without the cat (seems plenty busy up there too me). With only 17 boot packers this year, the inbounds slide in Mushroom and staffing issues, I think they’re willing to look other options to improve the situation; maybe this is one? Or just marketing...

But a big booo on the cat. I harassed both Kaplan and Schendler last year about making it a permanent removal. Bullshit to tout their geeen initiatives and then drive the diesel in circles to save Joe sea level 6min of “extra” hike.
    This and I've given the same ribbing, as have several others.

JF's laps are insane, and making last bucket is just ridiculous. He's always been a ridiculous smooth skier, which reminds me I haven't taken a lap with him in way too long.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

#groomthebowl2022

It’s always too bumpy and powdery in there anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Count me as another that thinks the cat should never be used again.

If you are too fat and lazy to hike, you shouldn’t be in the bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Count me as another that thinks the cat should never be used again.

If you are too fat and lazy to hike, you shouldn’t be in the bowl.

Says every bc skier to every resort.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I understand the sentiment. But, here's a story of a motorized lift up the bowl that could make you smile. About 15-20 years ago, I was visiting my sister's family on Christmas. Since the presents had been opened by 7:00 AM, I put on my ski clothes and made my way to Highlands. What I didn't realize was, the bowl hadn't opened yet that season. Let alone Temerity. The place was empty. As I contemplated whether to drop into temerity or climb, a patroller pulled up on a sled. He asked me if I wanted a ride. I took that cursed motorized sled ride a third of the way up. (the horror) Thanked and wished the troller a Merry Christmas. Then climbed slowly in solitude to the top. It was quiet, bluebird, deep, and light.

I now understand what people are saying about the compaction. In a couple places it was a bit bony. The core shot was worth it.

I wonder if ASC uses bio diesel in their snowcats. Not gonna say if I think they should have the snowcat or not. I'm one of those fat outta shape guys who doesn't know how to ski powder.

it is pretty cool to know that every other skier/boarder on top of the bowl only got there because they walked a significant distance.

It's great to have some semblance of a backcountry zone, even if it's within the ski area, that rewards those who walk with better quality snow than the beat snow typically found via mechanized lifts.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    #groomthebowl2022

It’s always too bumpy and powdery in there anyway
    +1.

Make Ozone the noon groom.
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Says every bc skier to every resort.
    Ehhhh, not so much. In this era a majority of "bAcKcOuNtRy" skiers also ski the resort

Snowboarder died this afternoon in the Hot Y's. Super sad and another shitty hurdle for AHSP to deal with

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/snow...-hitting-tree/

Ehhhh, not so much. In this era a majority of "bAcKcOuNtRy" skiers also ski the resort

Snowboarder died this afternoon in the Hot Y's. Super sad and another shitty hurdle for AHSP to deal with

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/snow...-hitting-tree/
    They've had a year already.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    +1.

Make Ozone the noon groom.
    Ozone is so chalky and buffed out right now it might as well be groomed.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Ozone is so chalky and buffed out right now it might as well be groomed.
    I was going to respond the same. Love a chalky ozone lap.

Is the lack of compaction this year due to the massive amount of snow in December?
    Last year, the season started super slow then a good storm at end of Jan (I think( and steady snow in Feb)), didn't pose huge loading issues.
    Last year was a no snowcat year also at Highlands.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Well, wife blew out her ACL on Snowmass January 8th. Hopefully surgery Monday.

So far, she has been a trooper. She is excited to get on the recovery side of things and save summer. First thing she asked the Doctor during MRI review was how best to be ready to ski next season. Hate that she is hurting and we miss a season with her…but proud of her passion for the sport.

Fingers crossed for some snow Friday night. Losing out on ski days is the least of my worries, but hoping what’s left is good snow.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Well, wife blew out her ACL on Snowmass January 8th. Hopefully surgery Monday.

So far, she has been a trooper. She is excited to get on the recovery side of things and save summer. First thing she asked the Doctor during MRI review was how best to be ready to ski next season. Hate that she is hurting and we miss a season with her…but proud of her passion for the sport.

Fingers crossed for some snow Friday night. Losing out on ski days is the least of my worries, but hoping what’s left is good snow.

Bummer! holler if she needs an Aspen PT rec!

Sorry to hear about Mrs. Gretch, wishing her a speedy recovery.

I got fitted for new kicks with Mr. Lindsay and Company yesterday. We went with the Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 S which will be my first non-Lange resort boot in about 15 years!

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Sorry to hear about Mrs. Gretch, wishing her a speedy recovery.

I got fitted for new kicks with Mr. Lindsay and Company yesterday. We went with the Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 S which will be my first non-Lange resort boot in about 15 years!
    Yeah dude. I just got a new pair; I worked with Mark Rolfes at the Ski Shop. Still needs a few tweaks but the new version is a great upgrade on my 2016 130S

Hanna!!! 18’ out of the pipe is no joke

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Another Friday with the middle school crew at Highlands. Pretty fun skiing with a couple inches, mostly DT laps. Took my chargers up to Ballroom; it looked inviting but the refrozen slush in the Y’s and lowest B’s is real.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642861864.124376.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	402314