Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

2021/22 ASPEN/RFV Condtions

Like 25 middle schoolers?

Got exposed to them on a couple of runs. Scared the shit out of a couple of old college buddies.

They wanted to ski Snowmass Saturday.
    Was successfully avoiding the village mob scene, until one of the gals took a wrong turn and ended up in the village at 11:00. Holy shit, was it crowded!

Calming back down at the LBC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5005.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	402467

Hoping to send a thanks out to a homie that helped me find a lost ski at Sunlight on Saturday.

My dumbass thought it’d be no problem taking my brakeless AT setup out to teach my 2 year-old daughter how to ski. Got to the top of the lift and somehow kicked it off while wrangling her mittens on her cold hands. Saw it take the fall line and accelerate to what seemed 100mph. I’ve had my fair share of panic in the mountains, but never thought I’d shit my pants on a green run at Sunlight. I literally thought I killed someone.

Thankfully, as I was skiing down on one ski, a homie on the chair lift saw it, yelled at me, and and told me where it was. The ski had somehow made it into the trees and dived tip first into the softer snow. I had skied past it, and was about to ski back to the car without it.

Homie saved the day and made a really stressful situation not a big deal. And I’d like to pay him back with a case and/or an oz or two. Thanks for stepping up.

If you’re the homie on the lift, DM me and I can pay it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Like 25 middle schoolers?

Got exposed to them on a couple of runs. Scared the shit out of a couple of old college buddies.
    Probably some of ours. We had like 90 kids+chaperones spread out into small groups.

Pretty solid weekend of skiing to be had, with only 3-4". Found some soft spots at Ajax on Saturday - Ridge, Silver Queen, Corkscrew holding nicely. Got up high with some buddies yesterday. Two laps of big boy turns on the Ozone chalk; super fun. First beer at the alehouse in ages...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4728.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	402661

Wonder how many tracks are on the bells and pyramid right now. In January.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Wonder how many tracks are on the bells and pyramid right now. In January.
    I’ve seen/heard a bunch of reports of people skiing the bells

Nice being able to get into some steeper backcountry terrain in January, though with the last few inch storm on top of a sun crust we saw a decent amount of slough activity and point releases. Nothing big enough to bury but fast enough to push you into a terrain feature. Saw a solo snowboarder trigger a pretty good sized one up in marble yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Yeah some big days happening for January. Freaks hit Y couloir, Max and Pete did a shorty on the East Side of Pyramid, Simi and Mike skied E Face of Castle after skiing Malamute with Pete.

And then everything Paul and the Surf Society are spicing into. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Sorry to hear about Mrs. Gretch, wishing her a speedy recovery.

I got fitted for new kicks with Mr. Lindsay and Company yesterday. We went with the Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 S which will be my first non-Lange resort boot in about 15 years!
    I just got the same boot in 120 S. Pretty good fit but will need some minor tweaks and maybe some canting to offset my bow legs.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Surgery went well yesterday, so excited to be in the rehab side of things. Still in pain today, but hopefully soon she will be hobbling around.

That Hawk boot looks nice. 1700g and a rubber sole! Love my S/Max 130 carbons at 1664g per boot, but hate not having a rubber replaceable sole.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    JF doing big work yesterday on 1A. Love it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYsZCdSOizO/

More heavy lifting at Snowmass from JF and Willie. Amazing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY_vVRDOY8G/

https://www.aspenpublicradio.org/com...aps-in-one-day

We set out with some of the same rules in mind. No straight lining groomers and open to the general public. There are six named black ski runs which we skied in order, then repeated: the old campground lift line to Howler, then Wildcat, Slot (this was groomed so we flowed the bumps under the chair), Zuspitze, Promenade and finally Fast Draw.

All said and done, 66 laps on Sam’s Knob, skied each of the black runs 11 times rounding out the day about 81,000 vertical feet. The 67th run was back to the mall. Average run time 2min6sec, fastest in Zugs at 1mim40sec. 4hr30min sitting on the lift, 2hr18min of skiing! Average vertical drop (skiing) at 590’ per min!
    Name:  JF.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  109.6 KB

They probably have at least two more seasons at the Chalet.

I don’t ski all day, but I’m ahead of these guys everyday. I probably throw in a few groomers though.
    Parties on the Shadow Mountain deck start on Saturday.

That is a bonkers amount of vert in a ski day. 20k is generally a big day for just about anyone.

skiing is staying better than I would have expected. shady and northern aspects haven't lost that distinct dry chalky quality.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Yeah and all on ungroomed black bump runs too, seriously impressive.

Maximum Ajax T2B's in a day via the gondi should be the next experiment (on bump runs as much as possible, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Yeah and all on ungroomed black bump runs too, seriously impressive.

Maximum Ajax T2B's in a day via the gondi should be the next experiment (on bump runs as much as possible, of course)
    17 was the Benchmark when they put in the Gondi, mid 80’s. But that was 9-3:30. 19 should be possible soon, when it’s 8:45-4:05.
    Same year someone did 72 laps on the Golden Horn Poma, for the “Poor Man’s Record.”

I’d like to see them do Deep-T. That lift beats me up.

Sorry for going all Uncle Rico on this issue. But none of this is new and there’s been good skiers here for a long time, ie. Fritz Stammberger.

https://www.wildsnow.com/16016/fritz...graphy-skiing/

Hell even our own Skideepow is 53 and I don’t see many beating him down.

You guys should have a fundraiser event for most top to bottoms. We had that for a bit on the Banana in CB, "7 hours of Banana". Wendy Fisher holds the record at 34 laps (70K vert). It's crazy impressive, all those shitty bumps in the choke and you kind of have to skate to get back around to the front. I'd be pretty spent with 10.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    You guys should have a fundraiser event for most top to bottoms. We had that for a bit on the Banana in CB, "7 hours of Banana". Wendy Fisher holds the record at 34 laps (70K vert).
    Holy shit.

Kinda makes me want to do the enduro at the basin this season

17 was the Benchmark when they put in the Gondi, mid 80’s. But that was 9-3:30. 19 should be possible soon, when it’s 8:45-4:05.
    Was that on groomers or going out of your way to ski bumps as much as possible like JF is doing? If bumps then what is the route or routes that were used?

Love the DT idea, we're gonna need some bigger burritos

2021/22 ASPEN/RFV Condtions

It was mostly groomers.

It would be inhumane to make anyone, but an instructor, ski Easy Chair 17 times.

Maybe make them ski every run beyond Back1, Hanging Tree and Glade 2. Then Slalom Hill.
    Last edited by Shredhead; 01-29-2022 at 07:03 AM.

Brats and Ribs on the deck at 1.
    Ski Norway and you might get a hat!

Side note…the Aspen 75 drink available on the mountain is a heck of a deal. They priced it at $7.50…which is a little more then half the price of the other drinks. Belvedere Vodka, lemon juice and some Chandon.

Refreshing…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Brats and Ribs on the deck at 1.
    Ski Norway and you might get a hat!
    Can attest that Shredhead is an outstanding host!

Congrats, Aspen, you win this month’s douchey-ski happenings!
    We haven’t been slacking up here, what with our NFT symposium.

https://gazette.com/life/snow-beach-...bb8c45dc6.html

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301451269.html
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Can attest that Shredhead is an outstanding host!
    Thanks, a good time was had by all and the skiing was fantastic yesterday. Hit me up if you make it back this year.

Nobody really cares about these Snow Beach events. I did attend a couple of soft openings at Chica. Where they were giving away lots of free food and booze. Sometimes you just gotta say, “what the fuck”. I’m not paying for it.

We are concerned about the proliferation of super high end restaurants. Replacing the expensive places, that have been here for years.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

"Between $300 and $4,800" for on-mountain bottle service is chicken feed compared to what goes on every day at Cloud 9

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

Haven’t they had stuff like this in Europe for decades? I don’t get all the fuss.