Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Still bummed I missed that one... And then my project deadline got pushed out another week! Always just need to suck it up, skip out for some turns, then got on with my work/life, right?

This weekend could be fun, looks 6+" to wrap up the Silver Queen, if we can cover up the dust and sand

2021/22 ASPEN/RFV Condtions

Today was stellar, again. Ripped TtB’s with former Mag, Loyd Braun(Jay). 140th day of my 40th season.

Then I poached the St. Regis pool, which is perfectly legal btw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	413917

Looking like tomorrow morning could still pop early, before the storm roll’s in.

They covered the Bell Chairs. Just another nail, in the Buckoff coffin.

Benny, should have hit me up. I’d have taken a couple of runs.
    Spill the beans, where’d you stay, eat and ski?

Shred and I made it happen today and met up for some laps. Excellent spring groomers; super fun skiing fast chasing him around

Name:	Image1650654739.040208.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	413980

Edit - photo sucks, but Shred rips!
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 04-22-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Hey all,

My wife is in glenwood springs for the next 3 months doing some travel nursing. She looks for some nearby touring options. Hoping to confirm the below since neither of us have been there:

Aspen Mountain appears open thru this weekend.

Snowmass and Aspen Highlands are both closed and thus no need for designated uphill routes/pass?

Thanks for clarify and insight. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Hey all,

My wife is in glenwood springs for the next 3 months doing some travel nursing. She looks for some nearby touring options. Hoping to confirm the below since neither of us have been there:

Aspen Mountain appears open thru this weekend.

Snowmass and Aspen Highlands are both closed and thus no need for designated uphill routes/pass?

Thanks for clarify and insight. Cheers
    Yes and yes. Is she looking to tour beyond just resort skinning?

She will look to do some real touring as well. Hopefully I'll be able to spend an extended weekend or two down there as well. Any other recommendations welcome. Thanks!

Looks like independence pass can offer some easy access skiing once open?

^^I'm not sure if there's enough snow, but Ski Sunlight is much closer than Aspen and you can tour up there, when I was living in GWS that was my go-to after work skin.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Shred and I made it happen today and met up for some laps!
    That was a blast and Vibes is also a total ripper.
    Kind of the MO around here.

Nice to see a new coat of paint this morning!
    I’ll probably be up for a couple of laps this weekend and skinning with a big red dog at Snowmass next week.

She will look to do some real touring as well. Hopefully I'll be able to spend an extended weekend or two down there as well. Any other recommendations welcome. Thanks!

Looks like independence pass can offer some easy access skiing once open?
    Lots of basics info and ideas here: https://www.backcountryrecon.com/col...untains/aspen/

From Glenwood your quickest access is up to Sunlight and out to Williams. I’m not sure how long that stays skiable. Then probably Huntsman Ridge off McClure Pass or into Marble. Or a half-day ski on Sopris.

The Pass provides the easiest access by far and lots of options. The gate will open in about a month and would be 75-90min from Glenwood up to ski terrain. You can also drive up to the gate now and hoof/bike to stuff. Mt Shimer is close and good skiing early spring.

The other main access around here is up Castle Creek Road. Ski Hayden is a classic about 3/4 of the way up. Then at the end of the valley you have Mace Peak and the Pearl Basin/Castle/Conundrum/Cathedral basins that all have a lot of accessible skiing. That’s about 80min from Glenwood to the end of the road.

Right now, you can ride a road bike to Weller.
    After that, Independence Pass is snow packed by snowmobile traffic, with some pretty big rocks in places.

They should start plowing pretty soon?

The best skiings and riding for that matter, is before they open to cars on Memorial Day weekend.

This morning was pretty damn good, seeing as it was 63F at 4:30 on Friday. We skied onto the Face at 11 and had untracked and 3-4” all the way down to Spar. Couldn’t stick around for any shenanigans, but a fun last day.

SkiNowWorkLater freeing the heel on the Ridge

Name:	Image1650851617.582879.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	414252

On the topic of Greg Mace Peak has anyone done a spring day trip up there without a snowmobile and roughly how long did it take? I’m trying to figure out how reasonable it’d be from Carbondale to get up to the top for a late morning corn window. Basic calculations I have would say 5ish hours from Ashcroft to summit via the western ridge plus an hour drive up to Ashcroft, but I’ve only ever done the approach on a sled

Obviously everyone’s speed varies greatly so just curious for a ballpark to help figure out a departure time if we decide to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

We did it a few years ago in May (early May?) and were able to drive our Outback to within 1/2mile from the creek crossing. Moving leisurely I want to say it took about an hour to skin up to bottom West end of the ridge. Then another hour or so to skin up, then boot the ridge out to where we dropped in. I feel like it was 4hrs max, from the car, with some time chilling on the ridge. If the road wasn’t open, and you brought a bike to expedite, 5hrs r/t from King Cabin wouldn’t be hard.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I skied it exactly 10 years ago (thank you Facebook) so my memory on the timings isn't great, but on that day I know we combined it with a ski off the top of Pearl Pass.

Was certainly a solid day but nothing insane. We were able to drive up to the creek crossing, 11-12 was a horrible snow year. Regardless, if you're just looking to ski Mace Peak at corn o'clock then it should be very doable leaving from Bonedale in the morning.

We won't be opening the gate for a few more weeks. I'm guessing by what I'm hearing from the guys it'll be around the 9th or 10th. It's melted out to the cook house and I'm guessing a few places in between.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Cool thanks for the info everyone. Might give it a couple weeks for the gate to open to save those few extra miles, plus still a little wary of the avy conditions on that steep front face of Mace but will see what happens in the next few days
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Hi all,

Hate to be this guy...wife who is currently working/living in glenwood springs is looking for some mellow tours that isn't the ski hills.

any recommendations for this weekend or next?

thanks for any help

Hi all,

Hate to be this guy...wife who is currently working/living in glenwood springs is looking for some mellow tours that isn't the ski hills.

any recommendations for this weekend or next?

thanks for any help
    I'd say Marble Bowl is the low hanging fruit.

Beyond that, Mt Justice next to it, or coming up to Ski Hayden, Mace Peak or Mt Shimer around Aspen.

Shred, have you ridden anything in Snowmass yet? I see some people on Strava have done S Rim as an out and back over the last week. Would love to start getting into bike shape.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I'd say Marble Bowl is the low hanging fruit.

Beyond that, Mt Justice next to it, or coming up to Ski Hayden, Mace Peak or Mt Shimer around Aspen.
    thanks the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Shred, have you ridden anything in Snowmass yet? I see some people on Strava have done S Rim as an out and back over the last week. Would love to start getting into bike shape.
    I’m out of town for a few weeks.
    Wednesday I rode Mountain View, South Rim to Ying/Yang early and it was almost completely dry, frozen in a few spots.
    The back side of Rim will be a while.
    Lowline is dry. Highline is probably still soft in the shade, at the bottom of Deadline.

To clarify, is the castle creek road up/driveable for ski access?

To clarify, is the castle creek road up/driveable for ski access?
    You can drive up to the gate at Ashcroft ghost town (11mi up Castle Creek Road). But the gate should open in about a week.

For now, if you park at the gate, it’s essentially bare pavement for ~2mi, then the road goes to dirt. The dirt will have more snow coverage as it climbs steadily toward Mace Peak.

I’ve hoofed it in boots up to the base of Mace in about an hour from the gate. Ideally spin up on a bike.

About a mile past the gate you have can ascend up to the west to the Cathedral/Conundrum basins, with Malamute peak and Leahy peak on either side. Lower down Castle Creek road you can road-side access Ski Hayden.

Awesome! Thanks for your help and helping my wife

Ashcroft gate is open as of Thursday. I think we'll get the maroon gate open Saturday or Sunday.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.