Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

dumb to try a ski trip to Italy/Austria for xmas? questions...

So we have a long planned trip to St Anton for a week and Alta Badia for a week around the holidays. Austria obviously locked down for the moment, but our hotel is begging us not to cancel and says they are confident the hotels will reopen in time for xmas. In Italy, I hear some villages in Val Gardena are locked down, but Alta Badia currently open, and situation much better over on the Veneto side. Questions:

- Is there even snow in St Anton, or am i just skiing the ribbon of death in between schnitzels?
    - Should i just bail and come back another time? Have a backup booking in Banff, but its just not the same vibe
    - Should I bail on Austria and find another place in the dolomites for the first week?
    - Assuming we can get there, I am reading that to ski at Dolomite Superski you have to buy a pass online, then activate it with a green pass QR code. How does this work if you have only a CDC vaccination card (US Equivalent) in paper form? I assume you can do this at a pass office?
    - How does this work if we are all IKON passholders?

PS: FK Covid!

Anton is A Lot more likely to have decent snow offpiste. There should be a nw flow that should give us a base on the North side. If that is a good or bad Sohn for Christmas? No one knows.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Thats a super tricky.... question.
    The gov will keep the lifts running in austria.
    So it save to take an airbnb... and ski the arlberg.
    We have 2week light lockdown atm.
    I guess the numbers on icu will not go down in 2weeks so they must extend the lockdown.

Which rules going toapply.... i dont know.

Just my 2cents about austria.

Italy???? No clue about the other side of the border.....

You could always pivot to Switz, which I don’t see locking down the ski slopes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

From the Dolomiti Superski website:

"Finally back on the slopes, with the following safety measures:
    To access the lifts the EU QR code covid certificate (proof of vaccination, a negative test or recovery from the virus) is mandatory from the age of 12. The skipass, available online or at our selling points has to be activated daily with the EU QR code covid certificate. Additional, a surgical mask is compulsory on lifts with closed vehicles and the capacity on cable cars, gondolas and chairlifts with canopy will be reduced to 80 %. There is no limit for the number of skipasses, therefore the reservation is not required."

So how the hell will Americans be able to do this daily activation? Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    From the Dolomiti Superski website:

"Finally back on the slopes, with the following safety measures:
    To access the lifts the EU QR code covid certificate (proof of vaccination, a negative test or recovery from the virus) is mandatory from the age of 12. The skipass, available online or at our selling points has to be activated daily with the EU QR code covid certificate. Additional, a surgical mask is compulsory on lifts with closed vehicles and the capacity on cable cars, gondolas and chairlifts with canopy will be reduced to 80 %. There is no limit for the number of skipasses, therefore the reservation is not required."

So how the hell will Americans be able to do this daily activation? Fuck.
    I don't think it's that difficult. You just need to use the EU Covid passport. I did it last month when I traveled to Europe. I think they're just saying they'll need to scan your QR code every day.

Wait. How did you get an EU covid passport? What's the process?

Turns out what I had was an EU "Passenger Locator Form," not a Covid Passport. When I was there last month all the EU countries were very used to accepting the CDC card, though, so I suspect ski areas will, too, but obviously this needs to be verified. Amazing that our best proof that we're vaccinated is that flimsy piece of paper they give you when you're vaccinated. Pathetic, really.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Turns out what I had was an EU "Passenger Locator Form," not a Covid Passport. When I was there last month all the EU countries were very used to accepting the CDC card, though, so I suspect ski areas will, too, but obviously this needs to be verified. Amazing that our best proof that we're vaccinated is that flimsy piece of paper they give you when you're vaccinated. Pathetic, really.
    Yes, agreed, but, the problem is this daily activation of vax status that Dolomiti Superski wants, which means doing a thing on your phone or laptop every morning. We cant do that as it stands right now.

Yes, agreed, but, the problem is this daily activation of vax status that Dolomiti Superski wants, which means doing a thing on your phone or laptop every morning. We cant do that as it stands right now.
    Don't they have a ticket window? Give 'em a call. I'm pretty confident they'll have a way to accept your CDC card.

I’m guessing I’ll just need to queue up at the ticket office every morning to deal with an ikon pass and cdc card (and explaining it again to a worker that has never seen either one) rather than being able to do it on the app and go right onto the lift.

Yeah, this is a response to an email inquiry I sent to Dolomiti Superski.

"thank you for your request and your interest in spending your ski holidays in the Dolomites.

To access the lifts you will need to have a valid covid certificate. The EU covid certificate has a QR code which allows to activate the skipass also through web. People coming from America may have the QR code, but this is not valid in the EU, therefore you will need to show your vaccine certification at a skipass office where they will activate your ski pass."

So, if you go, hopefully your bed is close to a ski ticket office, because you'll be there every morning.

dumb to try a ski trip to Italy/Austria for xmas? questions...

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    You could always pivot to Switz, which I don’t see locking down the ski slopes
    For the op, bennies, etc- this is what I’ve heard as well….if you plan a european ski trip this year, plan for switzerland (It was a similar situation last too)
    One austrian friend that is a guide moved to switzerland last yr so she could continue skiing (she couldn’t guide there but was able to work at a hotel)
    skid luxury

Switzerland requiring ten day quarantine for arriving Brits, even if poked. Dont know about us.

https://ch.usembassy.gov/covid-19-info/

Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? YES, only if fully vaccinated and with proof of vaccination. Visit the Swiss Government Travel Check Website to verify if you can enter Switzerland: https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

well, we pulled the plug and bailed on the trip. local hotels were very cool to refund our deposits, but I felt bad because i know the local family owned hotels and restaurants are going to have another tough time this holiday season. Now let's hope Canada lets us in...

Hey we are in the same boat. We were heading over there for a week of skiing and Salzburg before Christmas visiting family in Vienna for Christmas and then another ski trip to St. Anton the week after new years. I can't believe of all of the countries in Europe it had to be Austria that was locking down again. I was psyched to go since I spent Christmas time there every year for 10 years but have not been back in a decade. We made these plans 7 months ago and I was sure this would all be over by now.

I am surprised that the hotels begged you not to cancel as ours in Salzburg contacted us immediately after the lockdown was announced to let us know that we should not come. We got full refunds including our United airfare. We are re-booking for March and crossing fingers and of course making sure tickets are fully refundable. The way things are going I am not getting my hopes up. Maybe next year?

"thank you for your request and your interest in spending your ski holidays in the Dolomites.

To access the lifts you will need to have a valid covid certificate. The EU covid certificate has a QR code which allows to activate the skipass also through web. People coming from America may have the QR code, but this is not valid in the EU, therefore you will need to show your vaccine certification at a skipass office where they will activate your ski pass."

So, if you go, hopefully your bed is close to a ski ticket office, because you'll be there every morning.
    Shocker that the guy with first hand knowledge and left Italy less than 2 months ago turns out to be correct huh? Yawn, GL grandpa.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So much for scanning those vaccine chips everyone received when they got vaxxed. Bummer.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I've heard that it's possible to register your CDC vaccination card with the French public health service. You might look into that as a workaround to get a European green pass and avoid hanging out at the ticket window every morning.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Yes. I want to obligate myself to thousands, fly all the way to Europe, and then dive into the health beauracracy of the EU technocrats, with no clear idea what may happen. That sounds like fun.

Email a pharmacy, that’s where you turn your cdc card into a green pass

I'm crossing my fingers right now 'cuz I'm scheduled to be in Zinal in a few weeks followed by Xmas with vendul in Disentis.

Anyway, this is what I used:

https://covidcertificate-form.admin.ch/foreign

Costs 30 CHF (about $32.50) and if your documentation is kosher, they get back to you with the COVID19 vax pass in less than 24H (at least the time I tried it and the missus did a few weeks later). Since I'm flying in/out of Zurich it was easy, not sure if your flight itinerary is from Italy or Austria.

I'd tried the French COVID19 website earlier, but it was a disorganized disaster, and even though they didn't charge, it didn't pan out (as one would expect comparing FR to CH efficiency and economics) .

Even though CH is not in the EU, they respect mutual reciprocity, so it's good for the rest of Western Europe (at least for now).