Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cold weather pants/tights

I'm looking to continue riding this winter and am looking for input on good cold weather pants or tights. I've been doing this the past few years with a combo of Costco softshell pants and either bib shorts (down to about 25) or bib tights underneath (below 25). The softshell pants keep the wind off and keep me warm but they sort of suck for riding. My rides are usually 1 hour but can extend to 2 hours sometimes.

For those who are riding/commuting throughout the winter, what are you wearing? I've been looking at the PI AmFIB Cycling Bib Tight. Anybody have any experience? Any other suggestions?

Seth

Sporthill XC Pants. Padded diaper if you need it. Nothing better

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

OR Cirque II will get the job done.

I have those amfib bib tights and really like them. Thinking about getting a 2nd pair. Was wearing them today in the snow on wet roads and was pretty comfy and dryish the whole time (the shimano gore-tex boots were the other key part to that). Then if it's really cold I can put some pants on over top.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Pearl izumi makes very nice tights. Have an older pair of amFIB tights, maybe ten years old. They never felt right around legs and thighs, too thick for me. So I don't use them much.

I like the lighter PI tights -- lighter material than amFIB -- and I use a base layer such as pattugucci capilene underneath, one or two thicknesses up from silkweight. These may be old patti definitions, now they name their base layers Air, Midweight and Thermal. I use MidWeight equivalent. Have never gotten cold in the legs or thighs this way.

The front of my feet are the first body part to get cold. No matter what I do or try. The bottom front of both feet get cold first, and then the cold extends into the toes top and bottom. I've given up trying to fight it and time my cold weather rides accordingly.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

https://www.taigaworks.com/collectio...15436764020829

Gortex footcovers are the shit somethin like this ^^, Taiga is Canadian I think shower's pass might ight have something
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My hands and feet suffer the most when I (rarely) ride in cold weather. Given lack of snow here I've been planning some higher elevation rides that should still be doable, just very cold. I ordered some pogies and heated socks. Hoping that will be enough. I have merino long underwear that is comfy to ride in, and can add light weight pants or rain pants as extra layers if needed. Full length bike tights might work. I tried leg warmers once, couldn't get them to stay up so they got returned.
    Last edited by evdog; 12-04-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Sporthill XC Pants. Padded diaper if you need it. Nothing better
    Make sure to get ones made of their 3SP material. I’m not sure what alchemy goes into how that fabric is spun, but it’s amazing.

Cold weather pants/tights

Leg warmers suck in my experience. I’ve been looking for similar kind of thing for winter bike riding in 30’s kind of temps. So far these seemed like the best actual pant candidate but the fit on them is weird for me

https://www.backcountry.com/norrona-...hoCQMQQAvD_BwE

Otherwise I tend to wear bike shorts, shorts to cut the wind and cold while riding then really warm knee high socks. Pretty sure I look full JONG but I’m warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Make sure to get ones made of their 3SP material. I’m not sure what alchemy goes into how that fabric is spun, but it’s amazing.
    Best pants for high output aerobic exercise in foul weather. They’re really remarkable

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    then really warm knee high socks. Pretty sure I look full JONG but I’m warm.
    LOL. Not as much of a JONG as me with my knee pads on above the socks.

Touché

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I have those amfib bib tights and really like them. Thinking about getting a 2nd pair. Was wearing them today in the snow on wet roads and was pretty comfy and dryish the whole time (the shimano gore-tex boots were the other key part to that). Then if it's really cold I can put some pants on over top.
    I had pretty much talked myself into a pair anyway. When you layer over the top what are you using?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I'll check these out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I had pretty much talked myself into a pair anyway. When you layer over the top what are you using?

I have some PI mtb pants (launch?) and then some helly hansen softshells that have like a thermal backing. I don't think I'd bother going on a ride if I needed the tights and the softshell pants together but before I got the thermal bibs i wore them on their own or with regular bibs on a few cold rides, and have done the tights plus PI trail pants a few times on the mtb.

Suppose you don't really need the fancy amfib tights if you're wearing pants over them. Just some sort of a regular base layer/tight or warm enough pants would do it. Today that amfib pi dry whatever shit was working good for me though. Plus if you have like a liner bib/short, then tights, then pants on over top that can get annoying.

No fat bike so most of my winter riding is out on the roads when they're dry, just the bib tights have seemed to do the job on some pretty cold days. On the mtb the pants do give me more pockets and a little more water and wind resistance.
    Last edited by jamal; 11-24-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I'm looking to continue riding this winter and am looking for input on good cold weather pants or tights. I've been doing this the past few years with a combo of Costco softshell pants and either bib shorts (down to about 25) or bib tights underneath (below 25). The softshell pants keep the wind off and keep me warm but they sort of suck for riding. My rides are usually 1 hour but can extend to 2 hours sometimes.

For those who are riding/commuting throughout the winter, what are you wearing? I've been looking at the PI AmFIB Cycling Bib Tight. Anybody have any experience? Any other suggestions?

Seth
    A few thoughts, with the caveat that I work for PI.

1. Are you looking for pants or tights?
    Pants are typically a bit warmer and more protective, don't look great with form-fit tops, more versatile.
    Tights tend to move with the body better, like a second skin, tend to be a bit colder, more accepted when tires are <32mm.

2. If you go with tights or bib-tights, consider getting ones without a chamois. This allows you to change out shorts underneath so that you always have something fresh against your "business" without the need to continually wash the tights. If you're looking to ride more often than you're going to do laundry, this is the way to go.

3. If you're looking for a pant, our pants are all pretty trim.
    In order of protection we go:

"Launch Trail pant" - Same stretch cordura that we use in Launch Shorts
    "Summit Amfib Light Pant" - Soft, almost jogger-like. Feels good, rides good.
    "Summit Amfib pant"- More traditional, heavier insulating material with wind-blocking membrane

Personally, I tend to wear both the Launch and the Amfib Light most often when I'm out for higher-output rides. I find the Full-Amfib too warm (but I tend to run warm). However, if I were commuting on a cold morning, then full Amfib would be the way to go.

With all that said, I do think the best bib-tights on the market are the Rapha Cargo Winter Bib Tight, but they're spendy AF.

Budget Rapha - Wear striped socks outside tights and lead the pack.

Merino 150 weight tights and regular cargo shorts is all you need down to about 10 degrees. Double up on socks.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    A few thoughts, with the caveat that I work for PI.

1. Are you looking for pants or tights?
    Pants are typically a bit warmer and more protective, don't look great with form-fit tops, more versatile.
    Tights tend to move with the body better, like a second skin, tend to be a bit colder, more accepted when tires are <32mm.

2. If you go with tights or bib-tights, consider getting ones without a chamois. This allows you to change out shorts underneath so that you always have something fresh against your "business" without the need to continually wash the tights. If you're looking to ride more often than you're going to do laundry, this is the way to go.

3. If you're looking for a pant, our pants are all pretty trim.
    In order of protection we go:

"Launch Trail pant" - Same stretch cordura that we use in Launch Shorts
    "Summit Amfib Light Pant" - Soft, almost jogger-like. Feels good, rides good.
    "Summit Amfib pant"- More traditional, heavier insulating material with wind-blocking membrane

Personally, I tend to wear both the Launch and the Amfib Light most often when I'm out for higher-output rides. I find the Full-Amfib too warm (but I tend to run warm). However, if I were commuting on a cold morning, then full Amfib would be the way to go.

With all that said, I do think the best bib-tights on the market are the Rapha Cargo Winter Bib Tight, but they're spendy AF.
    Have plenty of PI gear and am solidly a Medium across everything EXCEPT the AmFib pants which are really quite gigantic. I’m normally a 33 +/-1 but am in a 30 in these and presumably launch or other pants. My other PI bibs and shorts are normal Medium/32-34 size.

Xtrapickles,

could you comment on AmFIB pants fit?I went to order some and checking reviews it seems that fit is all over the board but mostly huge and the waist adjustment is limited.

Seth- i used elite escape AmFIB bib tights last year with P.R.O Escape Thermal 3/4 Bib Tights and knee socks under for our coldest days last year. Do you have a fat bike? I was able to keep the swift creek and smith lake trails largely rideable all winter last year year and beaver lakes was in good shape as well. Studded tires are a must.

Quote Originally Posted by gettinfat View Post
    Seth- i used elite escape AmFIB bib tights last year with P.R.O Escape Thermal 3/4 Bib Tights and knee socks under for our coldest days last year. Do you have a fat bike? I was able to keep the swift creek and smith lake trails largely rideable all winter last year year and beaver lakes was in good shape as well. Studded tires are a must.
    I sold the fat bike last summer and am on a Trek Stache (29+) for the winter on studded Terrene Cake Eaters. I'll be mostly riding the roads around my work (including the happy valley trails) mid day but live close to Herron and will probably get out to ride there and pig farms a little bit. I'll definitely go and hit Beaver Lake, Swift Creek and and Smith Lake, though.

To answer the other questions, I have a pair of Nashbar bib tights that are good to about 40F. Below that and I've been layering softshell pants over bib shorts. I'll take a look at the amfib options that you and Xtra mentioned. I've been leaning towards tights over pants but that's primarily because my current softshell pants just don't ride very well...

Herron today:

looks nice, this end of the valley was a bit whiter with a pleasant light snow falling for riding ambience

I feel like we’ve covered this is other threads.

Wear tights.

I am anti-pant. If you wear pants I will find you and heckle you. Others here like pants. Those people are wrong.

Ok, now you are up to speed.

I wear pants. It just depends.
    Not that I wear depends, yet.