Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,218

    Cold weather pants/tights

    I'm looking to continue riding this winter and am looking for input on good cold weather pants or tights. I've been doing this the past few years with a combo of Costco softshell pants and either bib shorts (down to about 25) or bib tights underneath (below 25). The softshell pants keep the wind off and keep me warm but they sort of suck for riding. My rides are usually 1 hour but can extend to 2 hours sometimes.

    For those who are riding/commuting throughout the winter, what are you wearing? I've been looking at the PI AmFIB Cycling Bib Tight. Anybody have any experience? Any other suggestions?

    Seth

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,797
    Sporthill XC Pants. Padded diaper if you need it. Nothing better


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,149
    OR Cirque II will get the job done.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,791
    I have those amfib bib tights and really like them. Thinking about getting a 2nd pair. Was wearing them today in the snow on wet roads and was pretty comfy and dryish the whole time (the shimano gore-tex boots were the other key part to that). Then if it's really cold I can put some pants on over top.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Posts
    1,913
    Pearl izumi makes very nice tights. Have an older pair of amFIB tights, maybe ten years old. They never felt right around legs and thighs, too thick for me. So I don't use them much.

    I like the lighter PI tights -- lighter material than amFIB -- and I use a base layer such as pattugucci capilene underneath, one or two thicknesses up from silkweight. These may be old patti definitions, now they name their base layers Air, Midweight and Thermal. I use MidWeight equivalent. Have never gotten cold in the legs or thighs this way.

    The front of my feet are the first body part to get cold. No matter what I do or try. The bottom front of both feet get cold first, and then the cold extends into the toes top and bottom. I've given up trying to fight it and time my cold weather rides accordingly.
    ďThe best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.Ē

    - Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,901
    https://www.taigaworks.com/collectio...15436764020829

    Gortex footcovers are the shit somethin like this ^^, Taiga is Canadian I think shower's pass might ight have something
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,811
    My hands and feet suffer the most when I (rarely) ride in cold weather. Given lack of snow here I've been planning some higher elevation rides that should still be doable, just very cold. I ordered some pogies and heated socks. Hoping that will be enough. I have merino long underwear that is comfy to ride in, and can add light weight pants or rain pants as extra layers if needed. Full length bike tights might work. I tried leg warmers once, couldn't get them to stay up so they got returned.
    Last edited by evdog; 12-04-2021 at 06:19 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    between campus and church
    Posts
    7,996
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Sporthill XC Pants. Padded diaper if you need it. Nothing better
    Make sure to get ones made of their 3SP material. Iím not sure what alchemy goes into how that fabric is spun, but itís amazing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,212

    Cold weather pants/tights

    Leg warmers suck in my experience. Iíve been looking for similar kind of thing for winter bike riding in 30ís kind of temps. So far these seemed like the best actual pant candidate but the fit on them is weird for me

    https://www.backcountry.com/norrona-...hoCQMQQAvD_BwE

    Otherwise I tend to wear bike shorts, shorts to cut the wind and cold while riding then really warm knee high socks. Pretty sure I look full JONG but Iím warm.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Make sure to get ones made of their 3SP material. Iím not sure what alchemy goes into how that fabric is spun, but itís amazing.
    Best pants for high output aerobic exercise in foul weather. Theyíre really remarkable


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,811
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    then really warm knee high socks. Pretty sure I look full JONG but I’m warm.
    LOL. Not as much of a JONG as me with my knee pads on above the socks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,212
    Touchť


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I have those amfib bib tights and really like them. Thinking about getting a 2nd pair. Was wearing them today in the snow on wet roads and was pretty comfy and dryish the whole time (the shimano gore-tex boots were the other key part to that). Then if it's really cold I can put some pants on over top.
    I had pretty much talked myself into a pair anyway. When you layer over the top what are you using?

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Make sure to get ones made of their 3SP material. Iím not sure what alchemy goes into how that fabric is spun, but itís amazing.
    I'll check these out. Thanks!

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,791
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I had pretty much talked myself into a pair anyway. When you layer over the top what are you using?

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I have some PI mtb pants (launch?) and then some helly hansen softshells that have like a thermal backing. I don't think I'd bother going on a ride if I needed the tights and the softshell pants together but before I got the thermal bibs i wore them on their own or with regular bibs on a few cold rides, and have done the tights plus PI trail pants a few times on the mtb.

    Suppose you don't really need the fancy amfib tights if you're wearing pants over them. Just some sort of a regular base layer/tight or warm enough pants would do it. Today that amfib pi dry whatever shit was working good for me though. Plus if you have like a liner bib/short, then tights, then pants on over top that can get annoying.

    No fat bike so most of my winter riding is out on the roads when they're dry, just the bib tights have seemed to do the job on some pretty cold days. On the mtb the pants do give me more pockets and a little more water and wind resistance.
    Last edited by jamal; 11-24-2021 at 10:50 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    5,739
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I'm looking to continue riding this winter and am looking for input on good cold weather pants or tights. I've been doing this the past few years with a combo of Costco softshell pants and either bib shorts (down to about 25) or bib tights underneath (below 25). The softshell pants keep the wind off and keep me warm but they sort of suck for riding. My rides are usually 1 hour but can extend to 2 hours sometimes.

    For those who are riding/commuting throughout the winter, what are you wearing? I've been looking at the PI AmFIB Cycling Bib Tight. Anybody have any experience? Any other suggestions?

    Seth
    A few thoughts, with the caveat that I work for PI.

    1. Are you looking for pants or tights?
    Pants are typically a bit warmer and more protective, don't look great with form-fit tops, more versatile.
    Tights tend to move with the body better, like a second skin, tend to be a bit colder, more accepted when tires are <32mm.

    2. If you go with tights or bib-tights, consider getting ones without a chamois. This allows you to change out shorts underneath so that you always have something fresh against your "business" without the need to continually wash the tights. If you're looking to ride more often than you're going to do laundry, this is the way to go.

    3. If you're looking for a pant, our pants are all pretty trim.
    In order of protection we go:

    "Launch Trail pant" - Same stretch cordura that we use in Launch Shorts
    "Summit Amfib Light Pant" - Soft, almost jogger-like. Feels good, rides good.
    "Summit Amfib pant"- More traditional, heavier insulating material with wind-blocking membrane

    Personally, I tend to wear both the Launch and the Amfib Light most often when I'm out for higher-output rides. I find the Full-Amfib too warm (but I tend to run warm). However, if I were commuting on a cold morning, then full Amfib would be the way to go.

    With all that said, I do think the best bib-tights on the market are the Rapha Cargo Winter Bib Tight, but they're spendy AF.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,149
    Budget Rapha - Wear striped socks outside tights and lead the pack.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,230
    Merino 150 weight tights and regular cargo shorts is all you need down to about 10 degrees. Double up on socks.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    A few thoughts, with the caveat that I work for PI.

    1. Are you looking for pants or tights?
    Pants are typically a bit warmer and more protective, don't look great with form-fit tops, more versatile.
    Tights tend to move with the body better, like a second skin, tend to be a bit colder, more accepted when tires are <32mm.

    2. If you go with tights or bib-tights, consider getting ones without a chamois. This allows you to change out shorts underneath so that you always have something fresh against your "business" without the need to continually wash the tights. If you're looking to ride more often than you're going to do laundry, this is the way to go.

    3. If you're looking for a pant, our pants are all pretty trim.
    In order of protection we go:

    "Launch Trail pant" - Same stretch cordura that we use in Launch Shorts
    "Summit Amfib Light Pant" - Soft, almost jogger-like. Feels good, rides good.
    "Summit Amfib pant"- More traditional, heavier insulating material with wind-blocking membrane

    Personally, I tend to wear both the Launch and the Amfib Light most often when I'm out for higher-output rides. I find the Full-Amfib too warm (but I tend to run warm). However, if I were commuting on a cold morning, then full Amfib would be the way to go.

    With all that said, I do think the best bib-tights on the market are the Rapha Cargo Winter Bib Tight, but they're spendy AF.
    Have plenty of PI gear and am solidly a Medium across everything EXCEPT the AmFib pants which are really quite gigantic. Iím normally a 33 +/-1 but am in a 30 in these and presumably launch or other pants. My other PI bibs and shorts are normal Medium/32-34 size.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    13
    Xtrapickles,

    could you comment on AmFIB pants fit?I went to order some and checking reviews it seems that fit is all over the board but mostly huge and the waist adjustment is limited.



  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    13
    Seth- i used elite escape AmFIB bib tights last year with P.R.O Escape Thermal 3/4 Bib Tights and knee socks under for our coldest days last year. Do you have a fat bike? I was able to keep the swift creek and smith lake trails largely rideable all winter last year year and beaver lakes was in good shape as well. Studded tires are a must.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinfat View Post
    Seth- i used elite escape AmFIB bib tights last year with P.R.O Escape Thermal 3/4 Bib Tights and knee socks under for our coldest days last year. Do you have a fat bike? I was able to keep the swift creek and smith lake trails largely rideable all winter last year year and beaver lakes was in good shape as well. Studded tires are a must.
    I sold the fat bike last summer and am on a Trek Stache (29+) for the winter on studded Terrene Cake Eaters. I'll be mostly riding the roads around my work (including the happy valley trails) mid day but live close to Herron and will probably get out to ride there and pig farms a little bit. I'll definitely go and hit Beaver Lake, Swift Creek and and Smith Lake, though.

    To answer the other questions, I have a pair of Nashbar bib tights that are good to about 40F. Below that and I've been layering softshell pants over bib shorts. I'll take a look at the amfib options that you and Xtra mentioned. I've been leaning towards tights over pants but that's primarily because my current softshell pants just don't ride very well...

    Herron today:

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    13
    looks nice, this end of the valley was a bit whiter with a pleasant light snow falling for riding ambience

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    4,147
    I feel like weíve covered this is other threads.

    Wear tights.

    I am anti-pant. If you wear pants I will find you and heckle you. Others here like pants. Those people are wrong.

    Ok, now you are up to speed.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    7,578
    I wear pants. It just depends.
    Not that I wear depends, yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •