Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Sublette terminal point lower?
    Just a little lower, still allowing access to tensleep and the cirque area. Thinking it would reduce wind stoppages from where it terminates now.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Oh yeah, that's why I said "if" its possible. There isn't any room to pave a road from the Vill over to the bottom of RS?
    Ellen creek uber wealthy subdivision in the way for a road and then the land just above it is held under a conservation easement so unlikely that'll relax soon. Above that, from the bottom flats of RS up to Cody peak is still viable though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I don't know Jackson well other than having skied there a handful of times over the years, so I was looking at the map to remind myself where all these lifts and runs were.

Jackson has a typo on their trail map - "sky area map cover 2,500 acres." Apparently Niehues retires and everything goes to shit.

Anyways, I have nothing useful to add. Carry on.
    Inbounds is approx. 2500 acres. OB is endless...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Like Vail, another marketing executive put in charge of a ski mountain.

Did you hang out until the end when she sorta blamed Patagonia for creating a controversy by pulling all of their stuff out of JH stores? How dare they? And then she said that the mountain has no political affiliation. The fucking OWNERS host a piece of pond scum like Majorie Taylor Greene, and she says that it isn't on them.
    A. Hit the nail on the head.
    B. I agree. Fuck the Kemmerer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    They open and close early because it's a nearly south facing mountain. I never got the hype. Worst freeze/thaw conditions I've ever encountered. But, hey, there's Corbet's .
    A. No. It faces mostly due east and has ridgelines running west to east; giving each ridge a roughly north and south face.
    B. We call it the corn cycle; figure aspect with time of day and cloudcover and get some.
    C. It can be world class brutal. We ski that too.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Bless your heart
    Hehehehe...

The Couch! You hate the couch! No lift line ever with access to the goods! Best chair ever circa 1989! Take it back right now!!
    Sublette sure ain't what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    No. I hate that thing. We use to skate out the traverse to Pepis from Thunder and have so much good snow to ourselves.

Then again, it just got so crowded, like the sweet girl who gets too popular and turns into a snotty bitch. Fun's gone for us.

We turned away from the destination places circa 1994 and spent a couple of years hitting a bunch of the little mom and pop places strewn over ID, MT. Had a way better time. Then we started doing Yurp....

But I get the love, I respect your love, I just look at it differently so I can have a better time for me.
    In the Mag world, you are on a different level. a Higher one.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 11-22-2021 at 05:44 PM. Reason: The green looked so much brighter while posting...

No. I hate that thing. We use to skate out the traverse to Pepis from Thunder and have so much good snow to ourselves.

Then again, it just got so crowded, like the sweet girl who gets too popular and turns into a snotty bitch. Fun's gone for us.

We turned away from the destination places circa 1994 and spent a couple of years hitting a bunch of the little mom and pop places strewn over ID, MT. Had a way better time. Then we started doing Yurp....

But I get the love, I respect your love, I just look at it differently so I can have a better time for me.
    That must have been before the horrible lift lines on thunder. Most were not good enough to ski off the Sublette so there were never any lines and thunder would be backed up. Those dang parabolic "easy" skis changed everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    In the Mag world, you are on a different level. a Higher one.
    Nah, I just have strong weed.

The dumb thing is that we think these things through better than any planner because we understand the value of these things, like the Hobacks.

If they reset Sublette, I just hope the base of it is too high above the traverse from RS/Hobacks to make that an easy cycle. How they get people there from the base without making the hobacks cycle easier is the trick.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

That must have been before the horrible lift lines on thunder. Most were not good enough to ski off the Sublette so there were never any lines and thunder would be backed up. Those dang parabolic "easy" skis changed everything!
    Oh, there were bad lines on Thunder, But at least they were worth it.

On really bad days, we'd go weenie around on Apres Vous until the lunch lag, but getting up early and raging across the Amph traverse was the trick.

I remember the lines on the old chair 2 at Crustal that would be over an hour long. But the good snow lasted and the whole shitshow made me start touring.

Fuck

Fuck

Fuck

Fuck

Fuck

Fuck

Fuck

Fuck

I knew this day was coming. But fuck.
    The death of the JH magic.
    The upper chairs were the last holdouts on the pimp out.

Fuck.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Benny, it sounds like you never made it off Apres Vous.
    Hahaha I’m laughing hard over here

If they reset Sublette, I just hope the base of it is too high above the traverse from RS/Hobacks to make that an easy cycle. How they get people there from the base without making the hobacks cycle easier is the trick.
    I don’t even wanna type this out, but my cynical side is thinking they are going to make that an easy loop to say, a few years down the road, that they need to annex the RS area to put better safety measures in place to protect all the jerry’s that get in over their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Benny, it sounds like you never made it off Apres Vous.
    Hope you come on out again and we can show you the goods
    Six times in my skiing life. I have a buddy who considers it the pinnacle, and I followed. I never got it. Sure, it's an awesome place, But, start with an hour tram line. Ug. Then chasing snow that's immediately cut up, because it attracts so damn many good skiers. Then, unless you're there in January, it seems, freeze thaw muck, and bumps everywhere. Lately, way too many people. Sorry, I'll take Targhee most any day. But, that place is probably doomed, too.

I've been saying for years now that the next move would be a lift up Sublette Ridge that gets people to both the Sublette chair and Thunder. I think it needs to be out of the base area but that's probably screwed up because of the real estate down there. If it's not accessible someway from the base area I'm not sure I see a whole lot of value in it. The big problem has always been getting folks up and out of the base area, more so now when it's busy with all of the Ikon powder chasers.
    This. I've been wondering about a gondola from just uphill and lookers left of the tram building where they put that temporary racers tent, up along tram line then breaking lookers left all the way up to the middle section of Grand where there is open space. Pretty complicated route. But would get people out of the base and unbottleneck Thunder. That she was still wrestling with a lift near Moose Creek seems to rule that out though.

If there is any silver lining here, is it that numbers were down somewhat last year from three winters ago? Obviously covid induced. But if they stay that way and lifts are at full capacity???
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

I’m hearing they’re planning for a gondy here, with two stops. Should be killer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0404.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	393694

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I’m hearing they’re planning for a gondy here, with two stops. Should be killer.

Yes and the second stop is only for Mr. Baby Bear
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Bullshit...FS lease was written with the NPS in mind. Park/critical habitats butt up to the hill. Employees used to live here year around, now almost no locals work there. If they do, usually it's under some form of duress.
    From the guy who brought us “the resort doesn’t want to run the tram this year.” So full of misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMountainSkier View Post
    From the guy who brought us “the resort doesn’t want to run the tram this year.” So full of misinformation.
    I don't think I ever said that. Feel free to show us that quote.

Otherwise, here you are again talking outta your ass.

You speak as if you have some inside line on all the goings on at the village. Please fill us in on your truths.

Fucking Jong.

Pepi's and Alta Chutes were some of my favorite runs at Jackson when I was there last. That's all.

I don't think I ever said that. Feel free to show us that quote.

Otherwise, here you are again talking outta your ass.

You speak as if you have some inside line on all the goings on at the village. Please fill us in on your truths.

Fucking Jong.
    They seem to have evolved into a mindset of 'we're not gonna open the tram early if the demand is light and mostly locals'.
    Coming up with viable, if not entirely valid arguments to keep it closed, has become the norm.
    Where do you suggest the 1,900 JHMR employees live? And what kind of duress are you suggesting they are in?

What is this? The Miss Construe contest?

'Early" versus not at all.

And the podcast is where the claim of seasonal workers comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post

The zipper lines in No Shadows are gonna be sick!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The zipper lines in No Shadows are gonna be sick!
    This got a good laugh outta me...thanks.

And as you may likely know, No shadows does get bumped up sometimes, deep base then a long high pressure will get a shitton of peeps going south for their handful of turns.

Sick!

This got a good laugh outta me...thanks.

And as you may likely know, No shadows does get bumped up sometimes, deep base then a long high pressure will get a shitton of peeps going south for their handful of turns.

Sick!
    Jfc. Ahh, things change.

Lift service to Once, Twice, and Central would be epic tho eh!?

Jfc. Ahh, things change.

Lift service to Once, Twice, and Central would be epic tho eh!?
    Man, don't you know it. Back in '89 when you were here, Cody was seriously off limits without a patrol ok or if you skinned up. Otherwise the avy potential was always a factor and trying to snake it, even just No shadows, could get your pass pulled.

At this point, I'm almost ready to welcome some lift access in upper RS or Green River. That'd make turns in No name canyon and Pinedale ridge/canyon a bit more reasonable.

Mini-hobacks here we come!

The lower faces lift has always been on the plans.

Given the crowding, it makes sense.

But please don’t fuck with sublette. Full maze doesn’t last all day.

I could see thunder going high speed. The lines suck way too often.

RS would need a lift back up to the bowl. Doubtful that would ever happen. It is on the master plan though.

Lower RS isn’t part of the permit area. If it were JH could be EPIC
    . . .

Man, don't you know it. Back in '89 when you were here, Cody was seriously off limits without a patrol ok or if you skinned up. Otherwise the avy potential was always a factor and trying to snake it, even just No shadows, could get your pass pulled.

At this point, I'm almost ready to welcome some lift access in upper RS or Green River. That'd make turns in No name canyon and Pinedale ridge/canyon a bit more reasonable.

Mini-hobacks here we come!
    Yeah, that was way to visible to poach. We were getting schooled by the old af guys...on occasion. Poaching scared the shit out of me. I did not want to lose my pass. We'd duck in and then balz to the wall to get out. Don't crash, be stealthy and fast. It was kind of a shitshow. I did not do it often.

Hard for me to hate on the quad chair, (sublette), since I met Mrs. Plug on it in ‘91. Tucking and sidestepping from Thunder always seemed like a secret though.
    Anyway, things change.

Name:	IMG_5133.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	393725
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Plug, that picture is sweeeeet!

Izzat from '91?
    Talk about a low snow year...either 90-91 or 91-92 was the least I ever saw, 252". Fucking bony as hell.
    That looks like the bottom of TB, so many bumps, and that kicker rock is launching you good mang.

Calling it the quad really dates a guy. If I say it now, no one knows what I'm talking about. Remember when Thunder was a 2 seater and the towers looked like old oil derricks?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My biggest issue with putting a lift on the lower faces is that I'd bet it would promptly lead to them cutting in a groomer or two in there, soon after. The faces seem like kind of a signature of JH, only to be fucked up...

Calling it the quad really dates a guy. If I say it now, no one knows what I'm talking about.
    Somehow my sister-in-law translated that into "the four-quad". So that's what we call it still.