Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Skiers left on Valley View looks fast - FKNA.

Went for a skin at the local hill right before the rains came this week. Randomly caught a bluehole on the way up that made for great views but manked up the snow in real time as i skinned. Ended up being a blessing in disguise as an optimistic 15" skied much better with heavy snow than it would have with lighter snow. Still hit a bunch of shit on the way down but that was entirely expected. I usually feel like an uncoordinated dufus on my first preseason laps of the year, but actually felt really good this time and was able to play around a little bit.

My home mountain (Alpental) doesnt have a WROD, which is a blessing and a curse. WROD skiing can be fun if its uncrowded, but groomer skiing in general kind of freaks me out with all the people around. With the bottlenecking inherent in the WROD, and scraped off snow, and pent up demand of people to get their adrenaline fix by going fast it just seems super sketchy and dangerous in an out-of-your-control kind of way which i do not like.

Just playing the waiting game.

I’m not super excited about the WROD this year. An early season blues confession.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ^^^ where the fuck is that?
    Steamboat?
    Yup. Upper mountain has some coverage apparently. Not sure how much. Lower mtn has nothing. Troller I rode up with today was surprised they didn’t open the gondi this weekend so maybe they have some snow up high.

Here is how my day one/WROD day went: I slept in a bit. Got my boys up. Had breakfast. Told my boys to get off their phones. Started packing. Told my boys to get off their phones. Made lunch. Told my boys to get off their phones. Loaded gear into the truck. Let the boys play on their phones for the 1.5 hour drive to Okemo in order to not listen to complaining about the long drive. Rolled into the lot at 11:45 to grab a sweet parking spot that was recently vacated by a “first chair” dentist who had to get back to Connecticut. Ate our lunch in the lodge while gearing up. Skied hard for a few hours. Went home.

My primary reason for WROD skiing is to get my legs in shape for when Mother Nature decides to treat us with some natural. Nothing sucks more than having to bail early on a good skiing day because the legs can’t hack it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, for all you skiing the WROD , bet you can't top this from Saturday at SV.

"A small deer failed to look up and yield to downhill skiers as the NSAA skier safety code advises on Saturday. Instead, it began bounding across the lower part of Lower College. Unable to avoid the fast moving deer, a skier collided with it.

The collision killed the deer and left a bloody imprint on the snow.

Miraculously, the skier seemed unharmed. He hoisted the deer on his shoulders, skied it across the Hershey Highway and down 42nd Street and Lower River Run.

There the Sun Valley Ski Patrol loaded it into a ski cart, putting a blanket over it."

The same morning from the lift I saw a group of 4-5 deer on Sunnyside Slope heading up to LC , pretty sure the incident happened just after that.

^^That's the "Death" part. RIP deer

I spoke with a woman on the hill yesterday who completely yard saled when a group of deer crossed right in front of her.

I don't know how our quick conversation let to that admission after I was clicking out of my bindings and complimenting her on her slut tassels.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I’m not super excited about the WROD this year. An early season blues confession.

Any bear sightings? I hear they’re not asleep yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Any bear sightings? I hear they’re not asleep yet.

The same story said there was a bear sighting on Olympic Ridge recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Ok, for all you skiing the WROD , bet you can't top this from Saturday at SV.

"A small deer failed to look up and yield to downhill skiers as the NSAA skier safety code advises on Saturday. Instead, it began bounding across the lower part of Lower College. Unable to avoid the fast moving deer, a skier collided with it.

The collision killed the deer and left a bloody imprint on the snow.

Miraculously, the skier seemed unharmed. He hoisted the deer on his shoulders, skied it across the Hershey Highway and down 42nd Street and Lower River Run.

There the Sun Valley Ski Patrol loaded it into a ski cart, putting a blanket over it."

The same morning from the lift I saw a group of 4-5 deer on Sunnyside Slope heading up to LC , pretty sure the incident happened just after that.

Was the skiers name Harlan? I just saw a video of this. Kind of insane.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I don't know his name, but he's a well known local according to some people I rode w today.

got a link?

Posted on crazy karl's gram

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CW55O...dium=copy_link

She should at least get to eat it.

Hmn...
    "Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other animals or objects"
    "Cervids ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them"

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Hmn...
    "Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other animals or objects"
    "Cervids ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them"

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    In the description it said he was looking at a group that had already walked out or crossed the trail and then nailed a lagging deer.

Only reason why that kind of makes sense is it’s exactly how I totaled my last vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    In the description it said he was looking at a group that had already walked out or crossed the trail and then nailed a lagging deer.

Only reason why that kind of makes sense is it’s exactly how I totaled my last vehicle
    I hit a yearling moose that way. It was hunting season and I was looking to see if the one that crossed first had antlers so I could send a buddy after it. Looked back just as he jumped out to follow mama and couldn't stop.

I tell my teenage kid drivers over and over don't look at the one that just ran across the road, always watch for the one in the bushes getting ready to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I tell my teenage kid drivers over and over don't look at the one that just ran across the road, always watch for the one in the bushes getting ready to follow.
    This is what I was always told as well. One thing that should be emphasized, and was relevant to my accident, is how much time can elapse between crossings. You may think that after 30, 40 seconds have passed, the whole troop is across. Obviously don’t trust animals to do what you think they’re supposed to do… Grouping, time of day/year, etc

As sketchy as the WROD can be, it's always great to get out for a few days, get some fresh, mountain air, stretch the legs, and shake down the ski gear for the new year. When I lived in Bozeman, that Friday-Saturday-Sunday were great! Ski off the turkey, get set in the boots and enjoy mediocre skiing with friends. I miss it.

I'd love some WROD action now to shake down some new boots. But since we're having a warm fall, the dirt biking has been excellent, if a bit saturated. So in times like these; best keep multiple forms of recreation ready and chase conditions.

70°f yesterday, almost got the boat out, almost. Rather rail ice.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Pretty sure I'm gonna go for the double Saturday - ski laps till lunch, throw down some food, then go literally around the corner to mountain bike in the afternoon.

If things are gonna suck like this might as well make them fun...

Pretty sure I'm gonna go for the double Saturday - ski laps till lunch, throw down some food, then go literally around the corner to mountain bike in the afternoon.

If things are gonna suck like this might as well make them fun...
    I'll be running laps in the morning at Eldora; first of the season. If that's where you're heading, give a shout.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This whole week it was locals only, something that never happened last year. I find that encouraging and it gives me hope the WFH crowd and remote learners have left town.

It's softened up pretty well the last couple of days so it's been "fun" even if it's only 3 runs.

The WROD deer will be eaten.

Way to put the "D" in WROD!
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The WROD deer will be eaten.