Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I’m not super excited about the WROD this year. An early season blues confession.

Title says it all. Local hill is open today but it’s been a busy couple of months around my abode and I’m feeling better about puttering around getting shit done then I am about jostling the early season moving gates on the one, yes one, run that’s open.

Just me? Anyone want to make me feel better about skipping opening weekend or give me a tongue lashing and motivate me to get out and slide?

I've had a few seasons where I'm crazy busy until January or February and get almost no skiing before then. I've learned that you can still have a great quality season, and decent quantity if you have job flexibility, with zero November/December skiing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

At least you have that option. Up here in Tahoe, each week, resorts are setting back their opening day cos of the mild weather.
    And we had a decent dump a coupla weeks ago, to get us all excited for no good reason.
    (Cos of covid, last seasons Rose-wrod was best ever. To space peeps out, they had a run from the top, instead of usual beginners flats)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

wrod always sucks... your decision is wise.

I’m not super excited about the WROD this year. An early season blues confession.

I’ve been there the past few seasons. Other seasons, I’d be jonesing for turns on the WROD.

This year, I’m just so busy with my work, kid and life (wife is about to lose her mom after her dad passed earlier this year). I went to Winter Park the other day since I was up in town for work and skied two hours on a green. Bored can’t even describe it. Couldn’t burn off stress, couldn’t deal with the inane chairlift chatter, and even a 3 minute line. Snow would obviously help.

Living in summit county the wrod/ early season is always an option so I've been out like 5 days without really trying but I am not really getting after it yet and wasn't even excited about it at first. I will say though, when we opened top to bottom and I got to open the skis up a bit I was like oh yeah skiing is awesome, thats right. I will probably be getting out more consistently after the thanksgiving weekend and it will feel more like ski season to me, hopefully the snow will follow suit.

I've been out once and had a good time. Rode my mtb today and was equally happy. I will be skiing until May or June if Skadi provides so not too worried right now.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

As Turx mentioned above, Tahoe resorts keep pushing back opening dates as we are experiencing warm weather for the foreseeable short long-term.
    We had 2 WRODs open Halloween weekend and both promptly shut down Nov. 1st.
    I would count yourself lucky to even have a WROD right now.
    I say get out for an hour, kick off your season...
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 11-20-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

You do you; we all have different winter priorities.

Fuck this negative talk, I am out skiing today and I am STOKED AS FUCK about it. I’m having a blast today.

More pics in the Midwest STOKE thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1637433841.152213.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	969.1 KB 
ID:	393381

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I’m not really stoked at all for this season. Would rather still be riding my bike. Boot situation is fucked, if the boot situation unfucks itself I’m looking forward to remounting 10+ pairs of skis.

I’m sure that will change after my first day on snow. But, as it stands now.. 0 stoke.

I had a knee replacement in April and I'm stoked for the WROD, as that's about the perfect level for me to get back on skis and start rebuilding strength so I'm ready to go when the son gets deep. But unfortunately Targhee doesn't have enough snow so opening is delayed until Ullr abides.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Fuck this negative talk, I am out skiing today and I am STOKED AS FUCK about it. I’m having a blast today.

no problem with the altitude on them mountain tops?

I got a few days in last week, too busy this week, will probably go tomorrow to drink beer on a tailgate.

It is just nice to force myself to dig all the gear out to get it ready. I usually leave gloves, hat, goggles, ski poles, and all that in the truck from now till April.

Also good to just get in the habit of going so I don't start blowing it off later when it is good. It makes me enjoy it more when the conditions are good if I ski when the conditions are like they are now. I'm the guy who will be having fun in the boilerplate bumps and no lift lines when it hasn't snowed in a few weeks because at least I'm skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Title says it all. Local hill is open today but it’s been a busy couple of months around my abode and I’m feeling better about puttering around getting shit done then I am about jostling the early season moving gates on the one, yes one, run that’s open.

Just me? Anyone want to make me feel better about skipping opening weekend or give me a tongue lashing and motivate me to get out and slide?
    If you don't have to pay for parking, and you have a pass, just grab your shit, take a lap, stretch out the legs, and fire up the grill and drink.

It's fun. More fun than the hill actually.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Seeing Harry on the hill makes my heart happy!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I have never been a WROD skier. Rather I will wait until they say there is 5 feet of snow on the ground. Less and I end up hitting something and almost killing myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I was with Vt-Freeheel on his (and my) first day out. It was pretty good.

Then went out with Goniff on Veteran's Day and it was a mob scene. Completely scraped off by 10:30 and every run felt like impending doom from the idiots straightlining and trying to jump off the piles of scraped off snow.

As others have noted, stoke level is low but all my shit is ready to go if we can get more than 2 trails open in the entire Northeast.

Meanwhile, all my pre-winter projects have been completed...

Needs a thread split:
    1. Opening day + WROD = nope/never (tends to be a weekend, so doubly nope)
    2. Non-opening day + WROD = probably ; I mean, we all gotta test our new groomer zooms, right?

Too few people and too much coverage to be a WROD, but I am envious.

Today I'm just enjoying slow cooker pot roast, drinking beer all day, watching college football and being lazy as fuck.

Don't feel like WROD skiing yet. I also never seem to have sharp edges anymore and WROD sucks ballz when you don't have edges. Maybe I'll tune my skis today.

To clarify, the WROD that MNIAW and I skied is an hour away and 1 of 7 IKON days for me. Next door WROD is tentatively scheduled to open on Wednesday. After this happens I will be out for laps on a regular basis.
    I can see if it's a long drive being difficult to motivate.

Am I really the only one who doesn't know what WROD is? Something Something Opening Day? World Record Opening Day?!

Edit Winter Resort Opening Day?!

Name:  wrod (2016_03_25 08_51_06 UTC).jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  62.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Am I really the only one who doesn't know what WROD is? Something Something Opening Day? World Record Opening Day?!

Edit Winter Resort Opening Day?!
    nope and nope.

previous post gives you everything except, "of" --

skiJ

( you must be *new* )