Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Brutal. It now looks like a partial skin glove. Good luck on the healing.

Ugh. I'll never look at a batmobile the same. Hopefully once all the dead skin is off it'll start feeling better and like healing is starting to happen.

@JayPowHound - sorry for the thread hijack here

Mag doctors - my kid brother spilled a mug of tea on his leg, and got a pretty gnarly burn. He estimates that it is a second degree burn with the surface area of two palm prints. He's currently slathering it in Neosporin and wrapping it in seran wrap.

Guy doesn't have insurance for another 8 days, and he's currently saddled with considerable medical debt from another incident. Does he need to go in for this?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Maybe we can get a guest Blister review in here — podcast Jonathan?

When my kid was like 4 he pulled a full pot of coffee off the maker and broke the carafe on the corner of the counter and it gave him burns all over his chest and stomach like that. We went to doctor but didn’t need to. He was looking to sue mcdonald’s though

Fuck that shit.

I woulda lanced that boil ASAP.

Have had similar burns. (And blisters)
    And lanced every one.

Fuck that looks painful.

A sterilized needle ain’t gonna kill you. And that liquid blob spreads wider under pressure and causes more damage imho.

Your own pics prove my point. The damage spread from the pressure. Drain it early and it heals better.

If you drained it and it got infected? They’d open it anyways. No big deal.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    @JayPowHound - sorry for the thread hijack here

Mag doctors - my kid brother spilled a mug of tea on his leg, and got a pretty gnarly burn. He estimates that it is a second degree burn with the surface area of two palm prints. He's currently slathering it in Neosporin and wrapping it in seran wrap.

Guy doesn't have insurance for another 8 days, and he's currently saddled with considerable medical debt from another incident. Does he need to go in for this?

Not that gnarly.
    Neosporin is good. Not sure about Saran Wrap
    Gauze or Teflon pads would be bettter. .

With any wound, I try to wrap it during day and let it scab and dry at night.

Ymmv.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Not that gnarly.

Ymmv.
    Thanks, he says it hurts so bad he can't stand for longer than 10 seconds. The worst of it is up on his shin, where it just melted the skin away completely. There isn't anything left to blister.

Wait .... that's the burned shin in the photo?!?!? There's still hair on it! Pour some vinegar on it, followed by rubbing with salt.
    Get back to us with vid.

Not that gnarly.

Ymmv.
    Do NOT let it dry at night. Wounds heal best moist.

Thanks, he says it hurts so bad he can't stand for longer than 10 seconds. The worst of it is up on his shin, where it just melted the skin away completely. There isn't anything left to blister.

Do you have a picture of the area where the skin melted away or are we looking at it. A picture of that area would help a lot.
    Given what I see and given the quality of the photo (no offense) I think he can get by with current treatment until he can afford to see a doctor. Any fever, red areas turning white and dead looking, pus and he needs to see doc. The danger is infection turning a second degree burn (can usually heal itself) to 3rd degree--skin graft. Some 2nd degree burns are borderline.

More pictures would help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

Do you have a picture of the area where the skin melted away or are we looking at it. A picture of that area would help a lot.
    Given what I see and given the quality of the photo (no offense) I think he can get by with current treatment until he can afford to see a doctor. Any fever, red areas turning white and dead looking, pus and he needs to see doc. The danger is infection turning a second degree burn (can usually heal itself) to 3rd degree--skin graft. Some 2nd degree burns are borderline.

More pictures would help a lot.
    Picture is current as of yesterday. He now calls it his cheese pizza leg. Thanks in advance for your help.

That helps a lot. Looks like some deep second, maybe some third. Hard to tell without seeing in person and touching it. I think he should bite the bullet and see a doctor. Sorry. They may not necessarily change what he's doing--maybe change from neosporin to silvadene, wrap with something other than Saran Wrap--but I think it needs to be watched closely. It may need grafting. They might possibly use a temporary skin substitute instead of the antibiotic ointment to treat the wound. I'm not sure the current status of that.
    Last edited by old goat; 11-28-2021 at 10:58 PM.

Yep. Silzadene. Need prescription?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Yep. Silzadene. Need prescription?
    Thanks, isn't it OTC though?

I'm surprised MTT didn't recommend horse, dog or gerbil burn ointment to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I'm surprised MTT didn't recommend horse, dog or gerbil burn ointment to save money.
    Come on.

Ivermectin works for this too!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

BTW Silvadene is a brand name of silver sulfadiazine, often abbreviated as SSD. The generic should be cheaper. Don't use if allergic to sulfa.
    I don't know the current status re OTC vs Rx.

Picture is current as of yesterday. He now calls it his cheese pizza leg. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeebus that’s nasty. MD for sure. Or an urgent care.

I only saw the foot in the first pic
    That shin is nasty.

Old goat. True on gnarly shit staying moist.
    I was referring to normal wounds and scabbing.
    Hudge and nasty burns need love and moisture and more than interwebs med advice. Dayuum
    . . .

My rule of thumb on minor wounds is to cover it until it is no longer making a mess. When I cut myself it's usually in the kitchen or the wood shop--most people don't like blood in their food or their furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    This cannot be emphasized enough.

I say this as someone that avoids doctor visits as much as I possibly can--he needs to have that looked at by a pro.

Old goat. True on gnarly shit staying moist.
    I was referring to normal wounds and scabbing.
    What's a "normal" wound? Minor nicks and scrapes will heal fine dry, but even those will heal faster and with less scarring if kept covered and moist. It's a pain to keep things dressed for a week or so, but very worth it for anything more than a few layers deep and/or more than the size of a nickel or so.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-29-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Burn clinic at the U of U for the win

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Burn clinic at the U of U for the win

Thanks - he's in Colorado Springs. He ended up going to the ER last night, and they put him on two different antibiotics, but no antiinflammatory or pain meds. Hoping he can make it til Wednesday when his insurance kicks in.

I think the issue is, he doesn’t have insurance until Dec 1. Might be able to wait the couple days until then, but hopefully it doesn’t start smelling like Gus’s leg in Lonesome Dove.

Edit: I see he’s already gone in. Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I think the issue is, he doesn’t have insurance until Dec 1. Might be able to wait the couple days until then, but hopefully it doesn’t start smelling like Gus’s leg in Lonesome Dove.

Edit: I see he’s already gone in. Carry on!
    yeah he went into the ER, but i'm not sure of the quality of care he got. they told him to let the wound dry out (?????)

he's on keflex and sulfamethoxazole right now

yeah he went into the ER, but i'm not sure of the quality of care he got. they told him to let the wound dry out (?????)

he's on keflex and sulfamethoxazole right now
    You're kidding. Continue the neosporin and wrapping until he can get a Rx for silvadene. (I say this as a doc who as a surgery resident ran a burn unit.)