Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My burn journey -gruesome photos included

So, as detailed in the Shit That Annoys You thread, I recently burned myself. Badly.

Last Sunday night I was shutting down my den to go to bed. Lights off, TV off, and on the way out of the room I tripped on my kids fkn batmobile toy and fell hand and neck first onto my burning woodstove.

Went to the ER, and then on Tuesday to the local Wound Clinic (Umass Memorial Hospital in Worcester)

The night of the burn my left hand looked like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211114_235134.jpeg 
Views:	171 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	393313

The next morning it had grown to this:

Name:	20211115_092648.jpeg 
Views:	167 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	393314

A couple days later it continued to grow:

Name:	20211116_194201.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	393315

As of yesterday it had grown significantly and developed a red line around the edge that's extremely painful.

Name:	20211118_191437.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	393316

Initial advice was don't pop the blisters. They were referred to at one point as "God's Bandaid"

My follow up appt isn't until next Wednesday, so I called the doc today to give her an update about the growth and the painful red rim.

Her advice was it's time to pop them and get the healing cream into the wound.

Initially cut them with a sanitized razor blade and then cleaned up the dead skin with a sanitized pair of very sharp barbers scissors. Tons of liquid shot out at the first cut and then I squeezed out a lot more.

The aftermath is gross, but it feels SO MUCH better not to have a tennis ball glued to my palm. You can still see many (thankfully healing) smaller blisters on my fingers and upper palm:

Name:	20211119_215759.jpeg 
Views:	152 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	393317

Next update will be Wednesday after my follow up appointment.

Side note, initially doc wrote a letter saying no work until after Thanksgiving. After talking to my Supervisor and HR I had to get the note amended to allow work from home so I can at least attend crucial meetings via zoom. I have way too much on my plate right now to completly separate from work for a week and a half.

Hey random thought but maybe grab a mini pillow off the couch or one of those half sized travel pillows to sleep with and keep your arm more propped up?
    Never have had a hand injury that bad but from our arm/ shoulder injuries in the past it helps sleeping soo much. And good solid sleep will help with healing too.
    skid luxury

Oof
    Glad it’s not pendulously distended anymore
    Not as gross as it could have been
    So, just cream on it & let it grow back?

It reminds me of a pizza, for some reason.

Cream and healing are the plan as of now.

BB. already on top of it, and have a script for Trazadone so sleep has been solid. Elevation is key for pain relief, anytime I drop it below my waist it immediately becomes tingly and I can feel my pulse through the whole hand

Did you make the kid who left the batmobile out cut the skin off?

^^ No way. He (Middle child, 8) is the only one of the three who wants nothing to do with it. The other 2 (11 and 6) are fascinated and want to see every detail. May be a bit of guilt there. Also just an innate aversion to looking at injuries. Can't blame him really

I wouldn't use pole straps this winter if I was you.

All kidding aside, I hope the healing is quick. I have suffered a few burns and though much much smaller, they still hurt.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

yeah that look bad
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

That's gonna leave a mark.

Never use pole straps, long history of shoulder injuries. I'm just hopeful can even hold a pole.

Neck as of today. Sorry for the poor lighting. Super grateful it wasn't worse, that would have been a REALLY bad time.

Think I'll be rocking a patchy neck beard for a bit, I don't dare bring a razor anywhere near this. Name:  20211119_231135.jpeg
Views: 656
Size:  23.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    That's gonna leave a mark.
    Probably not. Looks all second degree if it doesn't get infected. The new skin will be delicate and sensitive for a while--probably a year. Maybe a good season for Jay to go New School with the poles--leave em home.
    The skin on the palm is really thick--full thickness burns are uncommon.

I once tripped over the family dog while carrying a hot frying pan across the kitchen in high school. Caught the pan with my hand and burned the inside of my knuckles. Popped the blisters and moved on because I was a dumb kid, can't believe I didn't get an infection. The damn dog ate all my food too.

My dad also once tripped over one of my matchbox trucks while carrying firewood into the house. He went off about never putting our toys away, smashed the truck to pieces with one of the logs, and threw it in the fire. At least I didn't make him fall into the fireplace lol.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I once tripped over the family dog while carrying a hot frying pan across the kitchen in high school. Caught the pan with my hand and burned the inside of my knuckles. Popped the blisters and moved on because I was a dumb kid, can't believe I didn't get an infection. The damn dog ate all my food too.

My dad also once tripped over one of my matchbox trucks while carrying firewood into the house. He went off about never putting our toys away, smashed the truck to pieces with one of the logs, and threw it in the fire. At least I didn't make him fall into the fireplace lol.
    Dog did it on purpose.

Your pooping and ass-wiping situation is going to be fun!

Been there…good times

Neck over face is a bonus.

I knew before I opened this thread it was going to be gruesome. Heal up man and fuck batman

OUCH! Gnarly. Reminds me of the woman at Wentworth prison who suffered the fate of having hands pressed under the iron by the top dog. Got to be painful. ++VIBES++

Careful Robin. Both hands on the bat rope. It's quite a drop.....
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Actually kinda relieved after reading the description. I guess it's probably just poison oak etc. that makes blisters within blisters, but you had me expecting much worse.

Congrats on the tennis ball removal! That peeling your skin apart at the blister edges thing is brutal.

Gnarly. Gauze on top of the cream? In my experience all skin wounds heal far better when liberally applied with Neosporin and kept covered.

Dude, Jay. Thanks, uh, for sharing, I guess? Fucking gnarly. Hope it starts to get better from here. Keep us posted on your recovery!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Update as of tonight. Popped and trimned hand blisters have been covered with prescription cream and gauze for the last 24 hrs. They're getting bigger and the dead skin between them is getting connected but still not enough to squeeze a scissor in there.

Current pre- shower pic

Hurts like hell. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211121_164627.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	393550

DON'T LOOK DANNO!!!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Freaky. Good luck healing mang.

I'd amputate stat; that's an f'ing nightmare.

Just your left hand, or both??

If the former, praying that you're right handed; otherwise, who's wiping' yer ass????