Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Outside EVERYTHING?

Pinkbike. Runreg. Trailforks. Mountain flyer? What else? Is this new? Or just new to me?
    Asking for a friend
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

They bought the free (albeit poor journalism) roading cycling sites this summer and now all of them are behind a paywall. Editorial content has not improved.

Ugh. Had to give up on Outside after they took on a bunch of truck and oil companies as advertisers. Bummer about Pinkbike. I'm sure it will get worse.

All your base are belong to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I think you misses a few seasons of Outside running their purse seiner through the outside mags/websites. Neo thinks they'll be one of the players in the futures new "podcasts".
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I think you misses a few seasons of Outside running their purse seiner through the outside mags/websites. Neo thinks they'll be one of the players in the futures new "podcasts".
    Is that English?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Outglish

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    All your base are belong to Outside Magazine.
    FIFY
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Cyclingtips was a sad casualty

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Is that English?
    Something like engrish, pictures help?

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I don't really dig Outside, and I don't think that I'm willing to pay to read any of these publications. Used to read CyclingTips pretty regularly but at this point I don't feel the need to pay to consume cycling media as I already work in the cycling industry. I like PinkBike for MTB stoke sometimes. None of the editorial or reporting content on these platforms is worth a subscription to me - and that seems to be the case for most people I talk to. So something's gotta give.

Oh well, I'll ride my bike instead of reading about it.

they also own gaia gps app & ecosystem

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I don't really dig Outside, and I don't think that I'm willing to pay to read any of these publications. Used to read CyclingTips pretty regularly but at this point I don't feel the need to pay to consume cycling media as I already work in the cycling industry. I like PinkBike for MTB stoke sometimes. None of the editorial or reporting content on these platforms is worth a subscription to me - and that seems to be the case for most people I talk to. So something's gotta give.

Oh well, I'll ride my bike instead of reading about it.
    Hard agree.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Always hated Outside, they're probably the biggest publication ruining the outdoors with all their "10 secret places" and "guide to this" articles. There is something to be said for finding your own adventure, but gone are the days of just scouring old maps. Basically just one giant influencer without the part of having some chick in leggings bending over showing her huge ass.

Hated Outside since they declared Moab THE place to be. That had to be 20+ years ago.

General sense was most of the people who read Outside magazine (dentist offices bitd) weren’t the people “ruining” the outdoors. The people ruining the outdoors hated Outside, unless they were writing articles for it or using ads to sell fleece to soccer moms.

as long as they don't screw up BuySell it matters not.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I pay 3.99 for Trailforks. I'm part of the problem.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Outside (the magazine) subscriber since the early 90’s. They used to publish articles by great writers - Tim Cahill, David Quammen, E. Annie Proulx, Jon Krakauer. That’s gone. There’s still some good writing every couple issues, but it’s mostly a catalog for shit I don’t need or can’t afford (artisanal axes, anyone?) and lists of the 10 best places to something, something, something.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Always really liked Cahill - picked up one of his anthologies a while back and found it to be a great read.

Came across a vid of him and Susan Casey at a bookstore talking about travels, writing, and publishing. Pretty entertaining discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Outside (the magazine) subscriber since the early 90’s. They used to publish articles by great writers - Tim Cahill, David Quammen, E. Annie Proulx, Jon Krakauer. That’s gone. There’s still some good writing every couple issues, but it’s mostly a catalog for shit I don’t need or can’t afford (artisanal axes, anyone?) and lists of the 10 best places to something, something, something.

I feel the same way. Into the wild started as an outside article. There are some excellent outside anthologies from back then. Out of the noosphere.
    Now it's a advertising catalog disguised as journalism. I hope they leave trailforks alone. Along with the other *assets".
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Always really liked Cahill - picked up one of his anthologies a while back and found it to be a great read.

Came across a vid of him and Susan Casey at a bookstore talking about travels, writing, and publishing. Pretty entertaining discussion.

This is where my head is at too. I had a subscription in the late eighties and early nineties. Tim Cahill is the greatest travel writer in all of history. It’s actually sad for me to see what they’re doing with the brand now.

Edit: I just watched that whole video. It's long but its worth it if you're into writing.
    Last edited by Brownski; 11-21-2021 at 08:29 AM.

They had some really cute girls working the office in Chicago in the 90’s.
    Probably haven’t paid for an issue since.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    They had some really cute girls working the office in Chicago in the 90’s.
    Probably haven’t paid for an issue since.
    I was about to post that outside was a good mag in the first five years.

If only I had been in their offices then.

Sucks about these buyouts.

Is trg next?
    . . .

Any recommendations on a current writer along the lines of Cahill, Proulx or Krakauer? Or did the internet kill quality and replace with quantity.
    You promised us Mars and gave us TikTok
    I <heart> hot tele-moms