Thread: No warmup

No warmup

In the past year and a half i upped my mountain biking to 15 hours a week from about 8.

Resting pulse is around 45, blood pressure 115/70.

I noticed that off the couch, if i climb stairs, i breathe pretty hard. Do you think this is because I'm not warmed up and it takes a while for the heart to start pumping more?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

You taking any supplements? Vasodilators in particular.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I think it's pretty normal to breath pretty hard at the beginning of exercising, and then once your body gets going it can exert much more without breathing hard. But I don't know the scientific basis for it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, Rod. You're no spring chicken. Takes longer for the microscopic arteries in the muscles to dilate and for your heart rate to increase when you start exercising, so you compensate by trying to deliver more oxygen in the same amount of blood by breathing more. I never did any endurance sports at a formal competitive level so I was impressed by the warmups my kids did in HS (one XC, one swimmer). Their warmup runs and swims were faster than my sprints and the swimmer swam farther warming up than I could swim at all.

Could be, I am not a medical expert and do not know you at all, but it could also be you are not as fit as you say, you are carrying extra weight, you had too much caffeine, you are more efficient as a longer distance exerciser, or even that you have or have had lung or heart issues that is contributing to the heavy breathing.

Of course if it concerns you, should be talking to a medical professional and all.

No warmup

^Wait, you’re not a Dentist?
    Ok who let the not a Dentist in?

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Could be, I am not a medical expert and do not know you at all, but it could also be you are not as fit as you say, you are carrying extra weight, you had too much caffeine, you are more efficient as a longer distance exerciser, or even that you have or have had lung or heart issues that is contributing to the heavy breathing.

Of course if it concerns you, should be talking to a medical professional and all.
    If you'd met Rod and read one of his TR's you'd know know of the above is the case.

Before I had to stop running about 10 years ago --when I was 60 (back issues) --it took me 3 miles to max my heart rate. The first 2 miles would be painful, but the 3rd was cruising. Now, on beta blockers, I can't get close to max for my age. Wish I could get off them but I can't without risking afib (see the anticoagulation thread in Gimp Central.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you'd met Rod and read one of his TR's you'd know know of the above is the case.

Before I had to stop running about 10 years ago --when I was 60 (back issues) --it took me 3 miles to max my heart rate. The first 2 miles would be painful, but the 3rd was cruising. Now, on beta blockers, I can't get close to max for my age. Wish I could get off them but I can't without risking afib (see the anticoagulation thread in Gimp Central.)
    I guess you missed the and my sarcasm - so even the "you are more efficient as a longer distance exerciser" does not apply???? So he must be a short distance sprinter that breaths heavy just heading up stairs? Maybe it is he is excited about what is waiting for him at the top of said stairs.

I've read several biographies written by road bike pros and they all say at peak fitness they get winded going for walks and climbing stairs. No explanation per se.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I've read several biographies written by road bike pros and they all say at peak fitness they get winded going for walks and climbing stairs. No explanation per se.
    I used to ride more than Rod does. I would get winded easily if I went for a hike, hilly was the worst, or climbed lots of stairs. This is pretty common unless you’re mixing it up with running and hiking. I’m not sure the reason but suspect it’s some sort of imbalance when cycling is a sole focus. One of the reasons that I started trail running and hiking more. My ski touring performance increased.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm not overweight, i actually dropped 10 lbs in the last year, mainly by Backcountry skiing 15 hours a week. I was in France and the resorts were closed.

It seems that i get winded in the first few minutes, then I'm ok.

Anyway, i just thought was interesting.

Off to my bike ride soon.

My non scientific and non dentist view, so take with some number of grains of salt...
    Every sport has its own "in shape-ness" - biking, climbing, skiing, etc. General fitness obviously helps, but starting something new and different is going to tax you a bit till your body gets back in that particular shape.
    Cycling will get you in great general shape of course, but spinning on flat to moderate inclines (with the aid of gearing) is different than say steep hiking or even moderate skinning (with 15-20 lbs of weight on your feet + a pack on your back).
    That said, the downhill part of skiing is kinda different from aerobic exercise, and so pre-season ski strength fitness seems a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post

I do take a vasodialator, bystolic

With prolonged exercise i.e. getting fit:
    Cardiac stroke volume increases
    Pulmonary blood flow increases
    Number of capillaries in muscle increase
    Etc...

You become a stronger faster engine

Thus you breath more right off the bat to climb the stairs

Congrats you're getting fit

Pretty sure that's the reason

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Edit: didn't see you were taking nebivolol... that would change answer significantly
    Last edited by skinipenem; 12-06-2021 at 08:22 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

My experience from taking beet root and L-citruline has been something somewhat similar. From my understanding, you should be somewhat careful if you're also taking statins.

Have yet to pass out from it though, I just notice a bit of a head rush as blood pushes back into dilated blood vessels. Mostly when I'm sitting, not as much when laying down.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Vasodilators per se aren't a problem. Vasodilators that are beta blockers, like Bystolic, which slow the heart rate, are, as far as exercise goes. When you do a cardiac stress test they make you stop your beta blocker because otherwise you couldn't get your heart rate up high enough to stress the heart.
    And it's not just heart rate, although that's the one you can easily measure. It's also stroke volume==how much blood the heart pumps with each beat, which beta blockers also reduce.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Vasodilators per se aren't a problem. Vasodilators that are beta blockers, like Bystolic, which slow the heart rate, are, as far as exercise goes. When you do a cardiac stress test they make you stop your beta blocker because otherwise you couldn't get your heart rate up high enough to stress the heart.
    And it's not just heart rate, although that's the one you can easily measure. It's also stroke volume==how much blood the heart pumps with each beat, which beta blockers also reduce.
    Beta blockers actually typically increase stroke volume (assuming you have the cardiac reserve), just not enough to overcome a reduction in cardiac output.

Interestingly, my uphill speed in Backcountry skiing has not gone down drive I've been taking bystolic, it's been constant at around 1600 ft per hour in good conditions.