McCall, Brundage, Tamarack - group trip - input needed

Group of 6, all over 50 but can still rip. Had been considering flying into Spokane and hitting Red and Whitewater. Covid logistics for a traveling group makes that look less than desirable.

Wanting to stay in the upper mountain states for the forecasted big snow year. Colorado and Utah are out due to crowds. Jackson and Targhee are possible, but crowds and that we hit it within the past 5 years.

So I remember Brundage and Tamarack... Out of the way, but look fun and I imagine less chance of crowding. (Feb 7-11). The group likes challenging terrain, but also just enjoy what we get and getting good brews and food together.

What says the collective? Worth the trip?
    Also, stay in McCall and drive or stay at one of the hills?

I see cat skiing is a possibility, that would be a first for this group.

Turner, MT Snow Bowl, Lost Trail, Discovery Basin is another great option. Hot springs near Lost Trail and Disco.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I lived out there not too long ago. Brundage has fun shots and a snowcat option. No lodging at Brundage, you'd wanna stay in McCall or motel it in New Meadows. McCall would be fun for a few nights too, and The Intersection in New Meadows is worth a visit after skiing at Brundage. Brundage is higher elevation and tends to be favored by storms over Tamarack.

Tamarack does have lodging at the hill, but I'd stay in McCall over that personally...better access to food and drinks in McCall. I never did ski Tamarack while I was there so can't speak to that. The terrain looked cool at Tamarack, but the place was obviously struggling when I was there. Last I heard they were adding lifts back in.

Pretty sure there used to be a pass option that gave you a few days at each, maybe thats a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by O.C. View Post
    Pretty sure there used to be a pass option that gave you a few days at each, maybe thats a thing?
    Indy pass has days at both.

https://www.indyskipass.com/resorts/rockies-region

And yeah, definitely stay in McCall, good food good beer cool vibes. Catch a hockey game.

I lived in McCall for a year. Skiing is decent,
    Doesn’t have the big mountain feel though. Had a pass to both places. So much snow that year. There is an amazing hot spring we used to hit up. Powder skiing in the morning and then soak. McCall is a fun town. There is a yurt too you can rent guided or unguided for powder skiing.

Getting more crowded as time goes on. If you want nicer meals, start looking at dinner reservations 2-4 weeks out. Brewery type meals will have waits but shouldn’t be more than 30-60 minutes. Staffing is a real problem up there. Shouldn’t be lift lines mid-week. Weekends are getting bad. Terrain is fun on a pow day but the pow used to last a lot longer. Some hot springs around that are always evolving on being open to public or not. Some naturals too. I’d personally airbb in McCall vs staying at Tamarack. Cat skiing at Brundage is fun but mellow. Good skinning out of either. Groomer days at either are blast if you miss the cycles. If flying into Boise, check hwy 55 restrictions. Major construction project so it’s closed certain times but you can drive up 95 too.

Not sure when Winter Carnival is but check to see if that is the time you are planning and book stuff now if so.

Edit-just looked. Carnival is the week prior and ends that Sunday. You might get a little crowding from those starting on the last weekend of it and staying for a bit but shouldn't be too bad. And looked at a calendar and food shouldn't be as bad for your dates due to crowds but might be rough with staffing.

If there's a mid-week dump while you're there, there's a good chance you might see me at Brundage.

I've skied Tamarack the day after Christmas four out of the last five years and have had ski-on lifts most of the day. It's a fun mountain, but you can hit most of the good stuff in a day. I would stay in McCall over Donnelly or up at Tamarack for sure. You could also think about staying in Boise one night at hitting up Bogus Basin (especially if you fly in/out of Boise). Mid-week it shouldn't be too bad, or call an audible and rally a couple hours to Sun Valley if you get groomer weather.

Fly in to spokane, ski Schweitzer, Turner, Whitefish and either Blacktail or Silver/Lookout.

all of the above ....
    any single ladies in your party?

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Good info gang, keep it coming.

Forgot about the Indy Pass. I had been considering it prior. That would certainly add a few more days for me out of Missoula.

No ladies within this group, but as normal 50+ year old guys, we like to believe we attract them.

And thanks for the tip about their winter carnival, I wasn't even thinking about conflicts.

Artist, most of us grew up in the Flathead, so Whitefish is the backup plan. I'd love to hit Turner and the cat skiing place outside of Whitefish.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Headed to McCall on Sunday to start this trip. Skiing Tamarack on Monday and Brundage on Tuesday, the rest of the week will be based on what we see for skiing.

Any restaurants or bars that we should hit? Or avoid?

Any stashes that you want to share with me via pm? Or, just general places to poke around on each mountain?

Ask for change of you see someone in a skittles outfit. Bright green jacket, bright blue pants.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

With the Indy Pass you could ski both 49N and Silver out of Spokane besides Brundage and Tamarack.

With unrelenting high pressure, this might be something to consider:

https://payettepowderguides.com/day/

Sorry to hijack your thread but just have a quick question about the uphill policy at Brundage.

Is patrol strict about the 9 AM turnaround time and can you do laps out at sargents once you get out of bounds?

You can skin up the sled trail and access Sargeants without entering the ski area proper.

https://www.outdoorproject.com/unite...sargeants-peak
    More cowbell!!!

thanks spudbumkin,

I kinda thought that was an option. It has been over 20 years since I've been there.

Any other touring options in the area that aren't a long slog without needing a lift or a snowmobile?

Not really, few, if any, of the Forest Service roads that access suitable terrain are plowed far enough to allow you to get close. One might look around the West Mountains west of Cascade Reservoir, there are lots of residences there that plow and you may get one closer to decent terrain via those. Although, it is heavily timbered until you get up there in elevation. SnowBank Mountain has always intrigued me, but I have never pursued actual skiing there, so I don't know if it would be viable.
    More cowbell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    thanks spudbumkin,

I kinda thought that was an option. It has been over 20 years since I've been there.

Any other touring options in the area that aren't a long slog without needing a lift or a snowmobile?
    The Brundage uphill travel policy has become much stricter this season. Now that the days are longer, skinning up after the lifts close beginning at 4:30 is also an option.
    A lot of locals without sleds like to tour on Jughandle Mountain, but it can be long day & the access can be a bit confusing. Here is a report & map by John Platt (RIP) from his excellent website:
    http://www.splattski.com/2018/jug_summit/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by spudbumkin View Post
    SnowBank Mountain has always intrigued me, but I have never pursued actual skiing there, so I don't know if it would be viable.
    Need a sled. The road is closed in the valley early Nov and I believe opens late April/early may. Road is maintained but gated and patrolled for the towers. No public access. Only skied that area once without a sled late Oct on an early year a day or two before the gate shut. Really good options up there if you can figure out the way up there around the gate...on a sled.

Quote Originally Posted by isisis View Post
    Here is a report & map by John Platt (RIP) from his excellent website
    Yep, very sad about John. I always looked at his trip reports for ideas early on in my touring days and had quite the picture of the Super Gully that I knew the first time I saw it, I had to ski it.

Hope John's family is doing OK, as well as could be I guess.