Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I wonder how long the rest of the world will sit idly by while China continues to pull this kind of bullshit.

At some point, allowing regimes such as theirs to exist will hinder progress for all of humanity.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    As long as people can buy shit cheap no one gives a Damn.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    The US declared the Chinese actions against the Uighurs a genocide, so why would we be sending anyone to the Olympics exactly?
    UN has condemned the Qatar slavery practices as well.. But FIFA World Cup?? How about Russia every fucking day all day?? Sad thing is that the Olympics were supposed to be the only thing in the world that's completely apolitical from start to finish. How do we balance that aspect while boycotting over human rights violations?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    At some point, allowing regimes such as theirs to exist will hinder progress for all of humanity.
    To be fair, you could say that about the current state of the GOP cult in this country. Climate change deniers, etc.

My take on the Olympics: boycotting them will only be a disservice to our athletes and will accomplish absolutely nothing beyond that. It would be a hollow gesture.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    The US declared the Chinese actions against the Uighurs a genocide, so why would we be sending anyone to the Olympics exactly?
    Because the world laughs at such a country that was born committing genocide and using slave labor, and today acts as the world's bully.

The U.S. has to tread lightly when it comes to accusing countries of genocide and war crimes. The pesky last 150 or so years of history make it a bit complicated.

This op Ed kinda aligns with my position on these situations:

With the US and perhaps a small band of democracies making that stand, China will inevitably frame the boycotters as a small group of disgruntled outliers. Even worse if the US is by itself. After the initial embarrassment, and as the world's attention turns to the sporting contest, China will position itself as the emerging leader of the non-US aligned group of nations. Beijing is sure to emphasize that most of the latter are developing economies with little in common with the developed liberal democracies nations of the West.

The better approach would be the US and others only refusing to send leaders and senior political officials to attend and persuading other countries to do the same. This is to deny Beijing the opportunity to exploit the image it wants of graciously hosting world leaders at the same time it is systematically abusing its own citizens. Sen. Mitt Romney has even suggested that the White House can invite Chinese dissidents, religious leaders and ethnic minorities to represent the US at the event.
    That cannot be all. At the same time, participation by US athletes and the accompanying media contingent should be encouraged and supported to use the grand stage of the Winter Olympics to give the world a better insight into the workings of authoritarian institutions in China and shine a light on the terrible reality of the human right abuses taking place in the country.

For example, in the lead-up and during the Games, foreign media should receive diplomatic support to break out of what will be stifling restrictions on where they can go, what they can report on, and who they can talk to. When Chinese authorities inevitably clamp down on their activities, the restrictions ought to become the story alongside reporting on the performances of athletes.

I was wondering when the whataboutism re: the US would pop up. Page 2 isn't that bad.

This thread is about what the party mouthpiece called their "Chinese Princess" being erased and the response from the party being, I don't know what you're talking about.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/19/s...20years%20ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/17/w...na-tennis.html

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Same, shine a light on darkness and all that.
    I still call it The Jake.

Sen. Mitt Romney has even suggested that the White House can invite Chinese dissidents, religious leaders and ethnic minorities to represent the US at the event.
    Now that is awesome. Love romney.

Yeah I hope that the WTA will keep it up and follow through; hard to do so against the weight of the #2/#1 economy in the world.
    "Can't you see..."

If only there we had a person in power who could/would take a stand or create a policy against the Chinese govt.......

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I was wondering when the whataboutism re: the US would pop up. Page 2 isn't that bad.
    I don't think many countries can escape history. I do think the U.S. is in a bit better position than England, France, Germany and Belgium if we're going to start throwing rocks around.

the Hudson institute, also brings such quality analysis as “legal weed is bad”
    https://www.hudson.org/research/1705...ct-in-colorado

we have no appetite to care, and the redbaiting racebaiting bullshit does nothing but strengthen the CPC

Quote Originally Posted by farmguy View Post
    If only there we had a person in power who could/would take a stand or create a policy against the Chinese govt.......
    Lol. The delusions.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Lol. The delusions.
    No, we do, his name is LeBron.

Seems to me that when The Greatest Generation Americans had issues with the German human rights violations back in the late 1930s, rather than boycotting The Berlin Olympics, we instead went there and kicked the shit out of them in just about everything..

Quote Originally Posted by farmguy View Post
    I can see your guy's tiny thumbs furiously pecking away on his Chinese iPhone right now over this..

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    So... yeah, that's not really how it went down at all. We were committed to isolationism until we got dragged into the whole thing.
    He's referring to the Berlin Olympics, where Jesse Owens kicked white supremacist ass and then came home to a segregated country.

China and Russia are very prepared to respond to our admonishments, and they have before. It's a big trap that we have fallen into before.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    He's referring to the Berlin Olympics, where Jesse Owens kicked white supremacist ass and then came home to a segregated country.

China and Russia are very prepared to respond to our admonishments, and they have before. It's a big trap that we have fallen into before.
    Just like 1980 and 1984 Olympics.. And Joe Lewis also kicked Nazi white supremist ass.. and returned to segregation.. point taken.. and every black person since still faces huge hurdles here white people don't..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Seems to me that when The Greatest Generation Americans had issues with the German human rights violations back in the late 1930s, rather than boycotting The Berlin Olympics, we instead went there and kicked the shit out of them in just about everything..
    Not really. It took the bombing of Pearl Harbor to get everyone excited.

Read up a few posts there Ben

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Yeah, I’m having a real hard time getting psyched for the Chinese Olympics.
    I have a hard time getting psyched for Chinese anything (er except the fine restaurant down the street). To bad they have bought (Treasuries & stocks) and paid for the countries continued cooperation.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I have a hard time getting psyched for Chinese anything (er except the fine restaurant down the street). To bad they have bought (Treasuries & stocks) and paid for the countries continued cooperation.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post

Whoops. Yep.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This kind of reminds me of this story from a few years back. She's the biggest movie star in China.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...est-movie-star

"Then, on October 3, Fan reappeared as suddenly as she had vanished. According to the South China Morning Post, she had been held under a form of detention known as “residential surveillance,” at a holiday resort in a suburb of Jiangsu. The system was instituted in 2012, under President Xi Jinping, making it legal for the Chinese secret police to detain anyone charged with endangering state security or committing corruption and hold them at an undisclosed location for up to six months without access to lawyers or family members. Sources close to Fan told me that she had been picked up by plainclothes police. While under detention, she was forbidden to make public statements or use her phone. She wasn’t given a pen or paper to write with, nor allowed any privacy, even when taking showers."
    Hell, Jack fucking Ma was missing for a while.

Yeah, and you arent exactly seeing a lot of that alien head of his in even the financial media these days.