Warm Ski Clothing Reccs for the Wife.

Wife is a fair weather skier. Got a fam pass this year though and she's hoping to get out more esp w the kiddos. She runs pretty cold (as opposed to me) and her xmas list consists of "warm" ski clothes.
    I grabbed her some FTP mitts/liners for her hands. I can't see spending the money for heated boots/socks but am thinking of maybe grabbing some intuitions for her boots since they need a little revamping anyway and should help w warmth. Any "warm" sock reccs? i'm a thin sock guy so no idea on this.
    I guess main question is base layers (top and bottom). thought about a pata R1 hoody as my older one is super warm but some recent reviews aren't as inspiring. i think a hood would be ideal to fit under her helmet though. hoping to avoid a new jacket and i think she has a down sweater for a mid layer.
    anyway...i know some peeps run cold so just wondering what you've found to stay warm. or just buy her a new flask?

Its pretty easy to add more layers of clothing but cold extremities are harder to deal with so its pretty easy to get a box of toe warmers that will stick on your ski socks or stick on the inside back of a glove or mitt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

In terms of base layers my partner looves her Patagucchi capilene air stuff. I have a set of long johns and shirt myself that I can hardly justify wearing unless it's ultra cold. but she loves the stuff and wears it nearly everyday the temps are under 20 degrees.

Columbia OmniHeat

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I hate to say it bc you mentioned not wanting to go there....but just get her heated mitts/ gloves
    the hands dictate the temperature for a lot of ladies (feet too but it seems like everyone expects that so it's more tolerated)

My husband got me heated gloves last christmas and I was -ahem- very appreciative. I was reluctant to spend the money but it was worth it. I no longer have to expect excruciating pain after a day of skiing
    but all kidding aside- it was a game changer for me after a lifetime of being grumpy skiing bc of freezing hand. No matter what layering i did, my hands would freeze- we joke that my internal thermometer is broken.
    The technology has gotten way better in the past couple yrs so when you think about spending $160 or $170 on regular hestra gloves for your wife that she will still be cold in, just spend the tree-fity and get the heated ones and she will be so much happier skiing. therefore skiing is a positive thing (vs a negative experience) and hopefully you get to ski more too
    skid luxury

Let me chime in a bit to add to what BB says.

I can give you some tips on a McGyver version of boot heaters that won't cost too much. It will take a bit of working on your part, but it's not that hard. (Electronics/wire soldering is the hardest part, so not hard at all.)

I've been working on a heater project myself that's much higher end. I'm still working on that, though I suspect it's never going to get off the ground financially - but I'd kind of like to get this over the finish-line, just to say I've completed something.

But the back-story is that I started down this road because my wife was going to come ski too - first time. And she's habitually cold.

So, the short version is: I started with heaters for me, as a trial. (Didn't want to make her the test subject.) I have the crude versions I still use, and it's been a game changer for her. And I, who would have never considered having them, will never be without again either.

It's ridiculously nice. And almost indescribable in how cool it is to turn them on and warm your toes right up. And I can stand lots colder stuff, simply because I know I can warm my toes up.

So that's a pretty cheap fix, if you're willing to do it. (Like <$50)

Gloves I haven't done.
    However there's a heated glove in Costco for like $80. I suspect the batteries suck, but the rest might not be too shabby. If you have a costco nearby, it could be well worth the try - you can always take them back if they suck hard. (I'd never recommend this, except that it's Costco.)

Lastly, I think I kind of come at it from feet first, hands second approach - simply because, for me (more my spouse) at least, that's been the bigger deal. (Plus you can use the hand-warmer packs for <$1 a pair - which really doesn't' work, IMO in a boot.) And you could get mittens, which will be quite a lot warmer than gloves.

But electric heat, is pretty amazing. Don't discount it.

If you want to explore the version of the boot heater I'm using - there's a thread here about it. I can probably find it. Just say.

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I hate to say it bc you mentioned not wanting to go there....but just get her heated mitts/ gloves
    the hands dictate the temperature for a lot of ladies (feet too but it seems like everyone expects that so it's more tolerated)

My husband got me heated gloves last christmas and I was -ahem- very appreciative. I was reluctant to spend the money but it was worth it. I no longer have to expect excruciating pain after a day of skiing
    but all kidding aside- it was a game changer for me after a lifetime of being grumpy skiing bc of freezing hand. No matter what layering i did, my hands would freeze- we joke that my internal thermometer is broken.
    The technology has gotten way better in the past couple yrs so when you think about spending $160 or $170 on regular hestra gloves for your wife that she will still be cold in, just spend the tree-fity and get the heated ones and she will be so much happier skiing. therefore skiing is a positive thing (vs a negative experience) and hopefully you get to ski more too
    BB speaks the truth. My lovely wife is a southern girl is serious shape who literally has a resting heartrate of about 34. No blood moving = cold feet and hands. Boot warmers made her 5 times happier. Heated gloves doubled that again. As long as those batteries work, she's almost always happy now. We've spent some seriously cold days lapping the left side of Babybear's mountain in big winds and she's been chilled but happy. Wouldn't last 25 minutes in the old days.

For the price of a pair of skis you too can ski bell to bell.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Columbia OmniHeat

X2