Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Yeah, it’s not that hard.
    I'm currently undefeated by them even when up is off.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Help explain the security concerns… I hear this a lot but I’m not an expert in this world and I don’t understand….
    Now if some hacker can get from my IOT light bulb to my bank account. Then we have a problem… Is that the concern?
    Basically, yes.

Many of those appliances have their own IPs & ports to the outside world, that is the way how one controls them. As they are done in bulk, cheaply, somewhere in bumfuck nowhere (and are supposed to be accessed easily by their user), their security is low or nonexistent. Seen some demos where variety of appliances (Alexa copies, bulbs, speakers etc) are connected and the amount of data that they transfer...somewhere...is astounding. As they access the interwebz by your home network, they basically have access to it (by proxy) and all the traffic that goes through it. That way malicious actors can basically access everything, put in keyloggers, watch the feed of your webcam and so on.

Not trying to act here as some wannabe hacker (as I am not), but if you live in a city, the amount of poorly protected routers & IoT gizmos is staggering. Friend of mine (works in the field) showed that from his apartment there were 80 routers "accessible" (of which 10% were totally without password or with open ports,) and about 100 different appliances, varying from TVs, fridges to webcams that were visible and had poor/no security. He even hinted that occasionally there is a thing (dildo) that has a web access of its own...

The risk is that someone can compromise your eBanking, privacy and for example work stuff (emails, teleconferencing)...just because.

People not living in big cities are not immune either, for example your neighbour can suddenly find your bedroom doggiecam interesting.
    And it is not that the initial actor that harvest the data will do anything with it, the initial collection phase can be automated and the data can be sold forward in the darker corners of the web and be misused by third parties, somewhere across the globe.
    Say, by buying a pair of Praxis BCs or whatnot.

Disclaimer: Not fearmongering, just saying that it is possible.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Lutron. I like the caseta switches, reliable, easy to use and easy to expand beyond light switches. On top of the functionality some of the finishes they make on wall switches are really impressive.

They are considered top of the line in commercial and office.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Lutron. I like the caseta switches, reliable, easy to use and easy to expand beyond light switches. On top of the functionality some of the finishes they make on wall switches are really impressive.

They are considered top of the line in commercial and office.
    No, they are top of the line in custom homes, and they do well in the Hotel space. They are not really commercial.
    The colors they offer are exclusive, and they market themselves very well to interior designers and architects.
    Their products work well, I have mostly Caseta in my house, but they require a hub, which is increasingly old tech.

My company sells these:
    https://idevicesinc.com/?gclid=EAIaI...SAAEgK2Q_D_BwE

Pluses-
    - no hub
    - super easy to download app- flip down panel on each device has a scannable Q code that automatically sets it up.
    - single pole, 3 way, 4 way all in one part number
    - battery switch can be located anywhere and has a built in level (helps a ton on install in multi gang applications)
    - does not look out of place when mixed with other brands.
    - Controllable receptacle- single or dual controlled
    - Monitors energy usage in app.
    - works on all 3 platforms ( some brands you need to specify, and if you switch ever, you are screwed)
    - No fan speed control yet

Minuses-
    - only 1 remote switch (I really like the multi scene pico switches from Lutron, but most are doing this with Alexa or Google now- I still like physical switches)
    - Requires neutral ( older homes will not be able to use this)
    - Only works on iDevice app or IFTTT- no Samsung Smart Things, which is what I use for everything else.

I installed Casetta before we acquired this company. I am slowly trying some stuff out. It is pretty slick- the no hub requirement is seamless. They work like normal switches and dimmers if the internet goes out. Electricians need to be able to set them up without wifi, and test them. The ability to control devices is sweet- I put it 1/2 controlled at my daughter's night stand- she can voice control her fish tank light and her bedside light- the tank filter remains on straight power at all times.
    I am in the process of testing it on my outdoor outlets for x-mas as well. I had to tie a GFCI in line first (could have done a breaker, but I get the receptacles for free). Now that that is done, I will switch both outdoor outlets to these and set up a timer through the app. I want to see how well they do with just an in-use cover protecting them outside.
    If anyone is interested, they are doing some promos right now, I think like 40% off. This is one of the very few items my company sells that is available online. We mostly only sell through wholesale.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    No, they are top of the line in custom homes, and they do well in the Hotel space. They are not really commercial.
    The colors they offer are exclusive, and they market themselves very well to interior designers and architects.
    Their products work well, I have mostly Caseta in my house, but they require a hub, which is increasingly old tech.
    I have to disagree. Look at their project portfolios for commercial, they have a best-of-the-best portfolio of clients and projects worldwide.

The caseta wireless line is for residential DIY and yes needs a hub, but no commercial buildings should be using caseta.

Their commercial products are in a different class. To cherry pick a few examples (applies to both home and commercial), they cover a broader spectrum than most others -- light control, fan control, thermostats, environmental monitoring, window shading automated to sun radiation levels, and they readily support -- replacement parts, etc. -- 20 year old systems.

In commercial buildings that spec a 30 year lifecycle for systems like these almost all the smaller up-state automation brands don't make the cut. In Lutron's case their R&D experience in commercial has flowed through to their home products. Caseta is their entry-level line of technology for home automation, they offer several steps up from there.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

My company sells these:
    https://idevicesinc.com/?gclid=EAIaI...SAAEgK2Q_D_BwE

Pluses-
    - no hub
    - super easy to download app- flip down panel on each device has a scannable Q code that automatically sets it up.
    - single pole, 3 way, 4 way all in one part number
    - battery switch can be located anywhere and has a built in level (helps a ton on install in multi gang applications)
    - does not look out of place when mixed with other brands.
    - Controllable receptacle- single or dual controlled
    - Monitors energy usage in app.
    - works on all 3 platforms ( some brands you need to specify, and if you switch ever, you are screwed)
    - No fan speed control yet

Minuses-
    - only 1 remote switch (I really like the multi scene pico switches from Lutron, but most are doing this with Alexa or Google now- I still like physical switches)
    - Requires neutral ( older homes will not be able to use this)
    - Only works on iDevice app or IFTTT- no Samsung Smart Things, which is what I use for everything else.

I installed Casetta before we acquired this company. I am slowly trying some stuff out. It is pretty slick- the no hub requirement is seamless. They work like normal switches and dimmers if the internet goes out. Electricians need to be able to set them up without wifi, and test them. The ability to control devices is sweet- I put it 1/2 controlled at my daughter's night stand- she can voice control her fish tank light and her bedside light- the tank filter remains on straight power at all times.
    I am in the process of testing it on my outdoor outlets for x-mas as well. I had to tie a GFCI in line first (could have done a breaker, but I get the receptacles for free). Now that that is done, I will switch both outdoor outlets to these and set up a timer through the app. I want to see how well they do with just an in-use cover protecting them outside.
    If anyone is interested, they are doing some promos right now, I think like 40% off. This is one of the very few items my company sells that is available online. We mostly only sell through wholesale.
    Sounds intriguing. You say an electrician needs to install the outlets? Seems like that could drive the buy in cost. Especially if doing it piecemeal.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.