Tell me about mom skis

I’d like to get my mom an upgraded setup for her 60th birthday because she’s currently rocking a pair of like 2006 Karhu Jil’s which are getting banged up and outdated. She lives in Vermont, is quite a good skier but not a charger, and will use these for 60/40 touring/inbounds with dynafits

Touring will be meadow skipping or low angle east coast tree skiing so definitely something agile that can float okay but doesn’t need to be a surfboard. Ive seen her rock a straight ski in a foot of fresh so she doesn’t need anything super wide to float from a technique standpoint. They primarily skin some of the local closed ski areas and may take an occasional trip

Inbounds she skis lovely icy Vermont groomers so definitely something that can hold an edge in firm. I’d say her style is more short turns than carving so doesn’t need to be driven super hard from the tips or pushed a lot, but shouldn’t be tokyo drift out there every turn

Overall she is pretty small so emphasis on a nice and light ski but that’s not a complete noodle. Due to her traditional background I don’t think she’ll like something super rockered or any kind of especially funky shape. Probably a decent amount of camber and a tight-ish radius for the groomers. Thinking like 95-100 underfoot would be good

The Backland W 98 caught my eye and evo has a good deal on them right now, but I honestly have no idea where to start so figured I’d consult with the best group of gear nerds around. She’ll be stoked!
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

A Line Sakana is a fun East coast ski that floats and carves. I enjoy mine.

Definitely go with lighter bindings & perhaps check out ski divas!

Where in Vt does she ski?

Volkl Blaze comes to mind for this skier.

I recommend you avoid standard tech toes for inbound use. Both the potential for prerelease nd tip fib fractures would eliminate them if it was my Mom. Vipec, Shift, Duke PT 12 would be safer choice.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Definitely go with lighter bindings & perhaps check out ski divas!

Where in Vt does she ski?

Volkl Blaze comes to mind for this skier.
    Thanks for the rec I poked around on there a bit and seems like the crowd favorite 50/50 skis are the Trace, Pandora, Blaze, and Backland

She lives in southern vt so primarily skiing the little closed areas around there and then inbounds days usually at Stratton with her friends

As for bindings I’d consider upgrading to a vipec for the safer release options but duke pt or shift would be too heavy. She’s been rocking dynafits for 10+ years without any issues but I do know the risks associated with those plus the lack of dampness on ice
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Check out momentskis.com

They have been making nice ladies ski’s for some time.

And there is the wow factor of having exotic hand made skis her friends never heard of
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

As long as you're aware of the issues, which you obviously are,. She's not likely to change her bindings!

Can't go wrong with the Backland W 102, I know several folks who really enjoy them, ranging from novice to expert, and use them inbounds and out.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Check out momentskis.com

They have been making nice ladies ski’s for some time.

And there is the wow factor of having exotic hand made skis her friends never heard of
    As much as I’ve loved all of my moments (they’re all cold dead hands skis for me) I don’t think triple camber or mustache rocker would be the best fit for her. She’s a very traditional skier who will be happiest on something similar to what she’s used to and also doesn’t care too much about indie vibes

Ripstick or mindbender alliance - might be a bit heavy for the touring uphill though

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Bought a pair of softer flex ON3P Mera in 172cm last year for ms skuff and she skied on them like she has owned them for years. She was skiing on a pair of 175cm Salomon Guns (Pocket Rocket) and no problem transitioning to the new skis.

Maybe get a 50/50 or tour core?

Fischer Hannibal 96. I have two pair, loaned a pair to a mid 60 year old friend and did not see the skis until the end of the season. On or off piste, a delight to ski in a variety of conditions. Ski the Whites in Jackson, NH might be a good place to contact for guidance.

I think your original ask (opinion on a backland98 w) is a good choice, should be okay on piste and better then what she has. If groomer/icy conditions performance is a higher priority then a Kore 87 or 93

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    As much as I’ve loved all of my moments (they’re all cold dead hands skis for me) I don’t think triple camber or mustache rocker would be the best fit for her. She’s a very traditional skier who will be happiest on something similar to what she’s used to and also doesn’t care too much about indie vibes
    Look on the website I saw a ladies touring layup that looked pretty solid
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Fischer transalp or hannibal? I feel like those are somewhat popular on the east coast.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    My mom is 5'3", does lots of medium speed/short radius turns with good technique. Skis groomers at AZ Snowbowl in Flagstaff most of the time with some bump skiing mixed in during spring corn harvest.

I got her some Head Total Joys for Christmas last year that she's super stoked on. Light, easy to bend into a turn without being noodly. Wide enough in the tip to manage soft snow.

The TJ comes pre mounted with a system binding, but there are other models in the Joy line (IE Wild Joy) that come flat. Could be another good option from Head if you want something a tad more forgiving/shorter radius than the Kore W.

I live in SoVT...which really means nothing. I'm also about her age which also means nothing. I also have skied a bunch of the closed ski areas round here.... Don't think I've ever run into her tho.

If you're really looking for a 50/50 ski the Ripstick 94W is the unicorn you seek. I tour on the men's version and it's great up to a foot of new snow. Also really light. Can also hold an edge. They ski pretty short so don't be afraid to go longer than what she's used to.

I had Backland 95s and although they were phenomenal on the up, they felt really weird to me on the down and were downright skittish on anything that wasn't 3D snow.

^ Ripstick looks like a nice option. My main concern with the Backland is exactly what you mentioned - just not enough heft to it to handle super firm conditions

There's a pair of men's 172 Ripstick 96s for sale on Gear Swap. Mrs. MNIAW is on 174 Ripstick 86s (she doesn't like 3D snow). She's 5'9" and a tentative intermediate that is not afraid of steeps. She loves those skis. They are definitely the "hot" ski at Magic these days.

More on the Backlands...they cut my uphill time by at least 10% but I never felt comfortable in marginal conditions on them going down. Sold them to a maggot...wish I had kept the Backland bindings tho.

Given the median age around here, 60 yo still gets the tits of GTFO clap back.

A little narrower than your spec but a crazy good deal. Remember, these ski short...
    https://www.geartrade.com/item/66806...omens-20182019