Volkl Rise Beyond 98 mount point?

I recently bought a pair of Volkl Rise Beyond 98 skis and am trying to figure out where to mount them. The factory recommended line is around -11 or -12cm and I'm thinking about bumping forward 2cm. I have the Volkl 100eight skis mounted at recommended (similarly far back) and don't have any issues pivoting them, but the Rise Beyond adds some camber and I also hope to use the F1 LT which would make it harder to drive the tips. A more forward mount would also make skinning easier, any reason not to forward mount a bit?

Can't really speak to your question as I haven't been able to get on a pair or RA98's yet. That said, I did get to spin a few laps on it's predecessor, the VTA98, and thought the mount point was dialed. Great ski in fact that didn't get near the attention it deserved. Talking to the rep it sounds like the RA is very similar to the VTA so I would assume that you are safe on the line, but the VTA's like to have you on the tongue at least a little bit. Off the cuff I would say that +2 would probably be OK but I wouldn't go much farther. I'd have a look at where guys are mounting M5's and Blazes as I think the camber on the RA is pretty similar and assume the placement of the sidecut is as well. Feel free to disregard all of the above but do report on your findings. That's a ski that needs more public beta

I've always been happy w/ Volkl's recommend standard mount points. Sounds like your'e thinking about it, which IME leads to a dialed mount.
    One consideration is if you're gonna be dealing w/ any binding ramp. That combined w/ mounting forward puts more weight over the front of the ski. I've run into that one before, on a ski that was mounted farther forward than the others in my quiver too. Feels like your on your toes especially in conditions where the tail of the ski doesn't sink.

How does mounting forward help w/ skinning? Not that 2cm is going to effect that much, but in general it seems like the more forward you are the more your tips would dive when breaking trail, and you'll deal w/ longer tails in kick turns.

Do report back. The BMT's and VTA's were sweet, sorta regret not grabbing a pair of either. Volkl's touring skis do seem to fly under the radar.

I'd say go for it, If you lay Volkls on the floor next to other bands, the mount points are consistently farther back.

I went up 2cm on a pair of 98s I have and am happy.

But, some of this is dependent on body type and your preferences.

Thanks for the feedback. Having slightly forward mount helps with kickturns for me, the tails drop more naturally. I will also be using the boot with the Hawx XTD, so I'll probably just mount on the rec line for the Hawx and end up being +0.5cm with the F1 LT, or maybe +1cm/+1.5cm. I have struggled with skis that have too much tip on steep terrain in deep snow, makes jump turns a little harder for a novice like me, but I have tasted the Volkl magic and I should probably trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Having slightly forward mount helps with kickturns for me, the tails drop more naturally.
    Oh yeah...Still feeling foggy this a.m.
    Sounds to me like what your thinking for mount point will be right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    I'd say go for it, If you lay Volkls on the floor next to other bands, the mount points are consistently farther back.

Do you have the Rise Above 98 or a different ski? Any other feedback? I haven't found any real info on the ski but bought it just because Volkl rarely misses

According to https://soothski.com/, the VTA 98 had a more centered mount compared to the Rise Above 96 (assume the Rise Above 98 is similar), which is surprising. Volkl seems to have gone back to it's roots on rearward mounts.

I would personally recommend against going forward on Völkl' newer, directional skis. Most of them have this soft spot in the shovel / front ski where the rocker engages that does not need more pressure, unless you want the tips to rise more.

That soft spot is the reason I prefer BMT90s to Mantra V Werks and the reason I regret mounting my Mantra102s at +1.3 - the BMT's more consistent flex pattern is better in denser snow than the MWV's soft spot, with the MVWs being too soft snow specific imho.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636434806-voelkl-rise-beyond-96.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	394131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1636435204-voelkl-rise-above-88.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	394132
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    VTA's did not have the same soft spot if FriFlyt can be believed

Name:	1636361103-voelkl-vta-98.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	394133

Name:	ski rocker.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	907.2 KB 
ID:	396566

Kid-Kapow, thank you for your post, somehow I missed it but I wish I hadn't. Thanks everyone for the input, I ended up having them mounted +1 which still puts me around -11 from center but I wish I had mounted on the line. I talked to some shop guys who skied these and mounted +0.5cm and said that was perfect, so I figured I'd mount +1cm for my Skorpius so it would put me +0.25cm when I'm using my Hawx XTD. In the past I have enjoyed skis around -11cm, but yeah like Kid-Kapow said the tips are on the softer side, and the tail is super flat, the cambered section goes really far back and there will be a ton of camber behind my heel. I know I'm overthinking this and just need to ski them, but I feel like I may need to remount a bit backwards at some point. I had the LD90s and had to mount +1.25cm (putting me just under -10cm) to dodge holes and I think it ruined the ski, too much camber behind the heel made it hard to release the tails.

On the left is my Hagan Boost 99 mounted +1.75cm from rec, -12 from true center and that ski feels like it has too much tail at times. It has more tail rocker than the Volkls too, but the Volkl tails are softer

On the right is the Voile Objective mounted on the rec line, and that ski has felt like it has a bit more tail than necessary but I think it was a tune issue, they are new this season and I haven't been on them much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post

Do you have Rise Above 98s? Definitely curious what you think of them, even though it doesn't matter much to me since I already bought and mounted mine haha

Maybe I need to create a Volkl thread separate from the Mantra/Katana heavy metal specific threads

I have the Rise Beyond and ski them with the Hawk XTD and Skorpious, although mostly the latter. I mounted on the line for the Skorpious.

Just received a pair of Rise Beyond 96, they look super fun. They have slightly deeper tip rocker than the VTA 98 I bought used and will sell locally (due to some hole interference). Didn't feel like fighting with the mount on the VTA.

Was initially looking for the Rise Beyond 98, but went with the 96 because the Skimo site claims the new version has a "full vertical sidewall". Unfortunately the 96 sure looks like a full length cap ski to me, just like the VTA (and I assume Rise Beyond 98). At least it's ~100g lighter for the extra cash. The 96 has just a smidge of camber, which disappears with the slightest squeeze. A virtually flat ski, if anyone was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Kid-Kapow, thank you for your post, somehow I missed it but I wish I hadn't.
    I wouldn't sweat it over much, especially for this time of year.

My reservations above could be a factor during tail end of season - aka in snow that is super moist, dense and/or corny where the skis do not have enough mass to bust through, not kinda dry early/midwinter snow where the somewhat softer front just gives them float. In the latter conditions a +1 mount should do just fine, and you'll notice if a remount is in order later on in the season - so again, I wouldn't sweat it.

And worry not, while I have not skied the VTAs or Rise skis, I have yet to ski a dedicated Völkl touring ski (other than the crossover Katana V Werks) that has punishing tails. In fact, Völkl's tails are pretty dialed with very good balance of grip and releasability. There is a reason they sell a gazillion of them.

Thanks for the feedback. FWIW, I was in skimo before my skis were mounted and my 177 RA98 weigh 1380g and the new 177 RA96 weigh 1320g so the difference is not as big as advertised. Also the new ones have less camber but I didnt take a super close look

Did some research and the Rise Above 98 has the exact same dimensions as the VTA 98, 133/98/116 with a 20.1m radius in 177. Soothski says VTA 98 has a -8 mount point and RA has -12 so I'll probably be fine at -11.

Looking at the 2 skis side by side, yeah they look exactly the same except the RA98 has a rounded tip and no skin attachment hole

Name:	ra98.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	396656Name:  vta98.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  50.2 KB