Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    maybe |I'm missing something but looks to be hwy south under evac?
    Last weekend (Nov 13) when the rain was starting there were orders and alerts for some hillside neighbourhoods.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    The only place I have seen mention of this. Is this thread on TGR

Best of luck. It looks nasty

Around here the “New”. Is not news. Just politics
    notice that I posted this thread 2 days after the event because nobody had noticed ?

even tho i think this event also hit Washington I wondered whom wasnt paying attention, the average person or the news outlets ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Interesting data on the Fraser river flow/level , you can change the time period if you want. Its funny as the actual river level does go higher so actual; Fraser is not in flood but certainly Vedder Canal was. Came down supper fast though water in Abottsford not so much.

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/...&y2Max=&y2Min=

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    A lot of those houses were under an evacuation order because the slopes were becoming saturated and unstable.

The real reason for the flooding in Abbotsford is slowly coming out - the Nooksack River (in Washington) overflowed. The overflow ends up in the Sumas River and flows north into Canada. Once upon a time there was a Sumas Lake which was drained the 1920s. A pumping station can deal with the normal Sumas River flow but not the Nooksack overflow.
    I thought this article about the history of sumas lake, and the nooksack river turning West was interesting. You may have already seen it.
    https://fvcurrent.com/article/sumas-...oding-history/

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I thought this article about the history of sumas lake, and the nooksack river turning West was interesting. You may have already seen it.
    https://fvcurrent.com/article/sumas-...oding-history/
    That's the kind of local reporting that needs continuing support, cause they're usually on continuing life support. I sent an email to their contact asking why they didn't have some sort of donate button. Even their subscribe link went to a free subscription.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

coming weekend's long range forecast is looking dicey for lower mainland....here's hoping for lower freezing levels and stupid amounts of pow

another well written article from fvcurrent
    https://fvcurrent.com/article/fraser...eptable-dikes/

funny/sad part is that it ends with the quote below while the forecast is looking particularly ugly for the next week with ARs and rising snow levels
    It’s a question: does the next big one come next spring?” Litke told The Current. “It might not be for five or 10 or 20 years. In the Lower Mainland there have been a number of close calls and bullets that have been dodged. In this most-recent event, we did not dodge the bullet.

I actualy got a warning phone message on a landline about weather events last weekend, but not on the cell

if anybody else got them i don't know and who has a landline now days ?

and would anybody hearing a warning have paid attention ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    That's the kind of local reporting that needs continuing support, cause they're usually on continuing life support. I sent an email to their contact asking why they didn't have some sort of donate button. Even their subscribe link went to a free subscription.
    Yes, that's a great source Abe found!

Gas will be coming from as far away as California and being trucked into the province.
    Not sure how they can use gallons of gas in Canuckistan though. Try to fit one of our gallons into your litre, you'll have a mess. Happy it's being sent. That maple-flavored ingenuity will find a way to use it, I'm certain.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

What are they gonna do with gas anyway? Don't they use petrol up there?

To be fair…
    The storm that’s coming this week has a third of the rain forecasted, however it’s more widespread over the entire Fraser River catchment which could still cause issues… but we’re talking almost 9 inches of rain less….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What are they gonna do with gas anyway? Don't they use petrol up there?
    I think the gallons to liters(litres?) machine converts gas into petrol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    To be fair…
    The storm that’s coming this week has a third of the rain forecasted, however it’s more widespread over the entire Fraser River catchment which could still cause issues… but we’re talking almost 9 inches of rain less….

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the volume of water involved but I hope this doesn't cause more issues. Neufox's link to a chart with a log scale for ft^3/second made me realize how tricky it is to visualize these things.

To be fair…
    because it's colder or because it's less precipitable moisture? The part that stands out to me is that each storm gets warmer so there will be at least some water stored in the mountains as recent snow coming down with the rains later in the week. Minor tweeks in the snow levels on each end of the storm could make a big impact

apparently CN rail will be back operational today or tonight...one week turnaround from major damage, gotta give them credit for how fast they can mobilize and repair serious damage.

To be fair…
    yup, certainly less severe overall, just on top of a stressed and water logged system. Models are all still kinda all over the place too, Env Canada claiming above mountain top freezing levels, bit of others seems to be holding lower, guess we'll hope for the best and wait and see.

It's interesting to listen to the CBC online news claiming of two "Atmospheric River" events coming with no context to the amount of rain. The big event being nearly 300mm and these ones in the 40-50mm range. It's not really the same.

They're like a child that learned a new word. Atmospheric rivers are a normal weather event that is almost never newsworthy.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

well, I think they got accused of not warning people enough, which wasn't really the case imo....but now of course we'll swing the pendulum too far the other way

If you're interested in the highway repair progress the BC Ministry of Transportation has a flickr page they update daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    They're like a child that learned a new word. Atmospheric rivers are a normal weather event that is almost never newsworthy.
    I disagree (sort of). I think atmospheric rivers are or should be newsworthy. But about three years ago we went from one happening every maybe once a year to every storm being called one. A true atmospheric river like the one that hit pnw recently or the one that hit us in october has the potential to change the landscape.

Last week's AR was unusually focused and strong. From a CBC article:
    The term atmospheric river was first coined in 1998 by Massachusetts Institute of Technology researchers Yong Zhu and Richard Newell, but ARs had been observed before then. They usually begin life in the tropical ocean regions near the equator, and can bring large masses of warm air and water to areas like North America's west coast.
    According to a 2013 report co-produced by B.C.'s environment ministry, ARs typically form in eight oceanic regions around the world, some closer to continental coasts than others. One of those regions is just off North America's western coast and can produce between one to two dozen of them per year.

Another on the way to OR this weekend.

I disagree (sort of). I think atmospheric rivers are or should be newsworthy. But about three years ago we went from one happening every maybe once a year to every storm being called one. A true atmospheric river like the one that hit pnw recently or the one that hit us in october has the potential to change the landscape.
    With the new (?) AR rating system, what was the recent one rated? Our October one was rated at 5. My place received 14” of rain.

fairly detailed report on upcoming storms and potential for flooding

Is Atmospheric River just a new name for Pineapple Express or is AR something different?

Pineapple Express is an example of an atmospheric river