Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Pineapple Express is an example of an atmospheric river
    I thought it was a movie, and then a sativa hybrid strain..

Am I wrong?

Maybe the hybrid came before the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I thought it was a movie, and then a sativa hybrid strain..

Am I wrong?

Maybe the hybrid came before the movie?
    The movie inspired the name of the strain.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

The movie inspired the name of the strain.
    so what's the weather link? that assumedly came before the movie,?

Pineapple Express is an example of an atmospheric river
    Right, not all atmospheric rivers are "pineapple expresses." A pineapple express is an atmospheric river that originates in the tropics near Hawaii, hence the name.

I imagine Seth Rogen named the movie "Pineapple Express" because he's from Vancouver and we hear a lot about the weather phenomenon around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    not all atmospheric rivers are "pineapple expresses." A pineapple express is an atmospheric river that originates in the tropics near Hawaii, hence the name.
    In the PNW, I can't think of any meteorological events that could be labeled an "atmospheric river" that did not originate in the tropics. So I think the two terms are synonyms, at least in the PNW. When we get huge rain events they are almost always warm, with high freezing levels, and a moisture plume that stretches off the coast towards Hawaii.

A good example of an atmospheric river/pineapple express is setting up for Thursday morning:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (112).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	484.3 KB 
ID:	393841

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    In the PNW, I can't think of any meteorological events that could be labeled an "atmospheric river" that did not originate in the tropics. So I think the two terms are synonyms, at least in the PNW.
    The "in the PNW" part is probably correct. Atmospheric river is a general meteorological term, "pineapple express" is a local meteorological term, just like Santa Ana winds in Southern California, or Nor'easters on the east coast.

In the PNW, I can't think of any meteorological events that could be labeled an "atmospheric river" that did not originate in the tropics. So I think the two terms are synonyms, at least in the PNW. When we get huge rain events they are almost always warm, with high freezing levels, and a moisture plume that stretches off the coast towards Hawaii.

A good example of an atmospheric river/pineapple express is setting up for Thursday morning:

Trans Pacific Urination.

Hawaii is pissing all over us dammit!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pineapple Express happens in ski season, the rest are Atmospheric Rivers. It's the temp spike in a Pineapple that really matters, will it be schmooo or will it be deep pow.

That graphic is crazy. I learned something today.

Good luck y'all.

There were some really interesting ones last autumn that made a hard left turn to the north and slammed into SE AK.

Vid/GIF here showing the Sat/Sun follow up event.....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1463631884399915020

I couldn't embed it so click-on cuz this is amazing

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=645799089773844

an aerial survey of hy 8 between Merrit & Spences bridge, check out how much highway is just completely missing as in you can't even tell there was a 2 lane highway, I heard on a news cast > 70 missing power poles, and I believe its now up to 6 dead, they interviewed someone who's land was washed away , 3 acres just completley gone
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-25-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It's crazy how much the Nicola River moved. It's decades/centuries of erosion over three days. There's a rail line to but I don't know what happened to it.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

That's insane. I've driven that stretch a few times. I don't know how you come back from that type of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    It's crazy how much the Nicola River moved. It's decades/centuries of erosion over three days. There's a rail line to but I don't know what happened to it.
    The rails from Spences Bridge to Merritt were pulled up 30 years ago. In some places the old rail grade looks to have survived better than the highway so I won't be surprised if they use some sections of it when they rebuild Highway 8.

it's gonna keep on rainin'. and it looks like the levees are gonna break
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

stumbled onto this old photo in one of my folders I'd forgotten I had...can't remember where I ripped it from probably 10-15 years ago, but seems relevant this fall!

Name:  EnvironmentCanadaFuckingRain.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  124.5 KB