Best double-roller bag for "air travel" (need a long)

Anyone have feelings on different roller bags...

just had airline destroy my Oakley bag -> was really nice ... dropped on wheels/threw, who knows... looking at the Thule as their customer service is pretty good. but looking to see if we have Indies or made in USA alternatives.

Thoughts?

/hoss

Atomic ski wheelies are really well made and long. I have one that fits 3 pair of 190 skis Or two pair with all my clothes. I think that they also have a double
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

If you want one that really takes a beating, a douche bag is excellent. It is however pretty heavy in its own right so that kind of cuts down on the total amount of crap you’re able to stuff into it. If you get the backpack also, it’s got a pretty nice clip system that attaches the backpack to the roller bag for dragging around the airport.

https://dbjourney.com/the-djarv-snowroller-black-out

I had a Patagucci snow-roller that we took to Japan. Worked really well - wish we hadn't sold it as they quit making them. The DB's sound really nice

I have the older design of the Dakine Fall Line roller. The 190 fits my 196 Protests. It looks like Dakine redesigned it, so no idea what the new one is like.

Dakine makes two models of double roller. The fall line is the lighter, more streamlined one. The other one is heavier, bigger, more pockets, etc…

Pay attention to bag weight. I choose a lighter roller. The fall line is like 7-8lbs. Some of these rollers are 25lbs. You reach your 50lbs bag weight limit real quick with a heavy bag.

I’d rather give up features and durability for weight. It’s cheaper to buy a new bag every 5 years than to pay overweight fees every flight….

Nicest thing about a double ski roller is packing it with a single pair of skis flat, then all your clothes and gear. And going on a weekend ski trip with just the roller and a boot backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Dakine double fall line is my go to as well. The lighter weight is well worth it if you want to travel with multiple pairs of skis. I can get two pairs of mine and my wifes skis and ski poles into it (inserts for some of the bindings to reduce weight) and still come in under 50lbs. It's held up well to multiple transocean trips, plus Dakine has a lifetime warranty that they've stood by on multiple occassions for me with their other gear (backpacks, etc.). Haven't needed it with this.

I have the Dakine Fall Line and really like it. Easily holds two pairs of skis over 190cm plus other essentials and still stays under 50lbs. Nice solid construction. My only complaint is I wish it had internal compression straps for skis.

I’ve had my Dakine Fall Line Double since I was in college (10+ years at this point.) It’s almost toast - shaky wheels, TSA-torn zipper, etc. - but I’ll vouch for that thing any day of the week.

Another vote here for the Fall Line bag. The other Dakine roller is the Boundary - it's nicer, more features, and a bit heavier.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Another vote here for the Fall Line bag. The other Dakine roller is the Boundary - it's nicer, more features, and a bit heavier.
    I have both the Dakine Boundary and the evo Deluxe Roller bag, both are great. Slightly prefer the interior organization of the Bounday, slightly prefer the hybrid hardshell protection in the tips and tails of the evo.

https://www.evo.com/ski-bags/evo-del...oller-bag-.jpg

Best double-roller bag for "air travel" (need a long)

So I have been using and loving my Dakine 190 Concourse and it has been bomber…. What I don’t get or understand is that Dakine removed the internal ski tie downs…. From the comments and vids I have not seen them and would not want my skis flopping around unsecured…

The Thule bag looks money and will go that route once my Dakine dies…

Honestly I'd recommend the bigger Dakine roller. Mine was black and blue.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I have both the Dakine Boundary and the evo Deluxe Roller bag, both are great. Slightly prefer the interior organization of the Bounday, slightly prefer the hybrid hardshell protection in the tips and tails of the evo.

https://www.evo.com/ski-bags/evo-del...oller-bag-.jpg
    I bought and returned an Evo roller bag that was half hard shell - very nicely built, but it wouldn't fit skis in the length it was labeled as fitting. IIRC I got the 190cm (ish) one, and it wouldn't hold a 190cm ski.

I had the old Concourse bag for years, until an airline destroyed it. Nice bag. It, and the Fall Line I got as a replacement, fit skis much longer than the labeled bag size.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I’ve really liked the double hard shell sportube. Easily fit my 195’s

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I have the Thule and it’s been bomber thus far. My longest ski is a 187 and it looks like there’s room for 190+.

I’ll throw in another vote for the Dakine fall line. Bonus- i got a rad dark camo color.

FWIW, just bought another Fall Line as a Xmas gift - The House has them in 190cm for $130 (camo) or $116 (begonia!):
    https://www.the-house.com/daflrb1755...age+1+Prospect

They will also give you a 15% discount code for signing up for emails, and Active Junky has 14% CB there -- not sure if AJ will stack with the code, but worth trying.

Edit: AJ sent a confirmation email -- $18 CB on the $130 camo bag. So, $19 off for the 15% code, and another $18 CB. And randomly, PayPal sent me a $10 credit for purchasing there too, so I ran the order through PP. Net cost around $91 after tax, free shipping. ($101 if you don't have PayPal's offer.)

yeah, see a ton of dakines out there... must be a reason for it... that's a sweet deal (e.g. I could buy 2 for the price of the Thule) so that in and of itself says "hit the easy button". thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by hossman View Post
    yeah, see a ton of dakines out there... must be a reason for it... that's a sweet deal (e.g. I could buy 2 for the price of the Thule) so that in and of itself says "hit the easy button". thanks all!
    Yep, I just pulled the trigger on the Dakine bag because of this thread. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    FWIW, just bought another Fall Line as a Xmas gift - The House has them in 190cm for $130 (camo) or $116 (begonia!):
    https://www.the-house.com/daflrb1755...age+1+Prospect

They will also give you a 15% discount code for signing up for emails, and Active Junky has 14% CB there -- not sure if AJ will stack with the code, but worth trying.

Edit: AJ sent a confirmation email -- $18 CB on the $130 camo bag. So, $19 off for the 15% code, and another $18 CB. And randomly, PayPal sent me a $10 credit for purchasing there too, so I ran the order through PP. Net cost around $91 after tax, free shipping. ($101 if you don't have PayPal's offer.)
    I'm gonna be 50th on FallLine Roller. I just use clothes as the "padding." Fits everything for a week...easily!

I was also gonna add: hold tight for a week and wait and see what Level9 throws out. I got mine SUPER cheap (it was a few years back, but it was like $59 or $79...something like that). Every year, L9 trots out some tremendous Black Friday deals...and they almost always include several different ski bags.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.