PayPal Shenanagains

I've got a bike frame listed for sale on pinkbike. A prospective buyer made a reasonable offer that I accepted, but he then sent payment in two separate transactions, totalling to the correct amount via PayPal. He's got a pretty lengthy seller history on there, so it doesn't seem entirely sketchy, and he apologized and said he just wanted to put the total amount on two separate cards.

Complicating matters is the fact that PayPal has put the funds on hold until I provide proof of delivery. Seems like I should be fine if I can put the same tracking number in twice for the two transactions, but it feels a little suspect. What says the collective? Am I getting scammed?

Sounds pretty sketch. But i guess if you didn't do it through friends and family option on paypal, you should have seller protection from them?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've got a bike frame listed for sale on pinkbike. A prospective buyer made a reasonable offer that I accepted, but he then sent payment in two separate transactions, totalling to the correct amount via PayPal. He's got a pretty lengthy seller history on there, so it doesn't seem entirely sketchy, and he apologized and said he just wanted to put the total amount on two separate cards.

Complicating matters is the fact that PayPal has put the funds on hold until I provide proof of delivery. Seems like I should be fine if I can put the same tracking number in twice for the two transactions, but it feels a little suspect. What says the collective? Am I getting scammed?
    I used PayPal for the first time in a long time a few weeks ago because the buyer wanted to use that instead of Venmo.
    My money was put on hold for 3 weeks, actually just became available to me today.. I also put my tracking number into PayPal on the transaction, but from what I read the buyer had 3 weeks to file any complaints and if no complaints were filed, then the money was mine.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you're getting scammed unless you already have a long history of using PayPal and have never had this occur before. The only sketchy thing to me is if the package arrives to the buyer, but they file a complaint? Can't give you an exact answer, but thats just my experience.

I've had this happen long time ago when cards had relatively low maximums. So I had split the purchase in separate chunks to the seller.

Also heard about funds going on hold when there are no prior transactions in order to prevent fraudulent payments... which ends up sucking for you until those clear.

So, while the situation sucks I wouldn't be overly sketched about the situation.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I don't use PayPal much and this transaction is an order of magnitude bigger than anything I've used it for recently, so them flagging it doesn't seem that weird. Thanks all.

seems sketchy to me. i might refund the money and find a new buyer or have him straighten out the payment.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

PayPal CS confirmed in writing that seller protection does apply here, so I'll proceed and raise hell with them if it goes south. I'll report back.

Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy shit on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy shit on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JNPW2wZ4D2s

Shenanigans!!!!

Obvious solution here folks. Cut the frame in half and send it in two separate shipments..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!