Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Results 576 to 600 of 1294
  1. #576
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,142
    We are booked for the Targhee Cat next Monday and Tuesday. Does anyone know how far ahead they will cancel due to lack of powder? Sure would like to avoid the drive over. I'm pretty sure I'm on the hook for the room there regardless.

  2. #577
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    .

    Stand out shot.

    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    First box is mostly just a thing on a powder day.... :^)
    .

    Yeah, get that. But I was really expecting more then just a couple of others and walk on at 9.
    Yesterday was repeat weather wise. Got on AV and rolled some sunny corduroy there and Casper until going to the base to meet up with DJ. Got a private ganjala up and rolled around for awhile till hitting tower 20 for a safety sesh. Ended the day with my own private cabin around 3. Good day. Loving the lack of crowds. Could use some snow.

  3. #578
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Donner Lake
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    First box is mostly just a thing on a powder day.... :^)
    All good days start with that first box.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

  4. #579
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wilson, Wyo.
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    .

    Stand out shot.
    Thank you!

  5. #580
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    We are booked for the Targhee Cat next Monday and Tuesday. Does anyone know how far ahead they will cancel due to lack of powder? Sure would like to avoid the drive over. I'm pretty sure I'm on the hook for the room there regardless.
    By 2pm the day before.
    For rooms yes, canceling within 14 days is no refund.
    If you cancel the CAT it is a $50 fee outside of 72 hr. Within 72hr no refund.
    I would call them about the Cat and see what chances are of being canceled. With no new snow, I don't think they are taking anyone out after we were canceled last Friday?

    You do have some hope with ~5 inches coming tomorrow and a few cold days... but it would not be DEEP.

  6. #581
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    bottom of the hobacks
    Posts
    547
    Models seem to be in agreement with 8-12" in the Tetons by Friday midday. West flow too, $$ for the ghee.

    Not sure how much powder you need
    But I would think there should be some goods leftover on Monday
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

  7. #582
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,142
    fkna sounds great

  8. #583
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    bottom of the hobacks
    Posts
    547
    Refresh will be welcome!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4334.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	401947
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4302.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	598.2 KB 
ID:	401948
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4329.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	401949
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

  9. #584
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    k1LLaTowN..
    Posts
    1
    yo

  10. #585
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    JAC
    Posts
    1,181
    Nice !

  11. #586
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    2,454
    Stoked!!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642698669.926020.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	402047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642698703.104450.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	402048

    Not skiing related but I kinda forgot when I donated to this organization yet there I am on the thanks to those “who give a hoot” pages. Must have been a link one of you Kooks up that way posted somewhere. So, I wanted to say Thanks!
    Anyway, check out their film the pic of the back cover has the deets.
    Good stuff in this newsletter. Very cool outfit y’all got. Sorry it wasn’t Mary Swanson type cash it must have been small cuz I been broke.

    Check it out, some of the other fun ways to help:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642699323.865766.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	402050

    Ski on, my Teton friends! Cheers!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 01-20-2022 at 10:47 AM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  12. #587
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wilson, Wyo.
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    All good days start with that first box.
    Many of my best days at the Village were the sleeper days: Nothing reported at 6am, then snowing all day, all tracks getting blown in/refilled. Walk-ons at the end of the day feel like a private club where those on a half-filled box look around at each other like everyone's run the lottery.

    Often on those days, there's a TON of hype the next morning: Every local is out to ski the reported 12" (bluebird).... only to realize it all fell between 6a & 4p the previous day and is skied up.

    Yes, yes.... first box is amazing and I've had seasons of getting lots of them like most folks in this thread, but there's also lots of hype with it which sometimes works against you.

  13. #588
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wilson, Wyo.
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Models seem to be in agreement with 8-12" in the Tetons by Friday midday. West flow too, $$ for the ghee.
    What are you seeing?

    Woody's still not showing much in the mountains @ 10k...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Refresh will be welcome!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4334.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	401947
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4302.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	598.2 KB 
ID:	401948
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4329.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	401949
    Nice shots!

    I think the middle shot would work better 100% in focus (if you can remove that effect)... or adjust it so the skier is in focus and the entire background is soft. Maybe it's just my photography background, but the focus effect trips me out because a real camera couldn't get both the skier and middle ground in focus.

  14. #589
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    An Anheuser-Busch Barley Field
    Posts
    5,612
    Look at the west slope UAN. Not a huge prediction but notably more than what Iím seeing for JH.

    Fingers crossed it turns out like a couple weeks ago when Targhee got hammered after a pretty non-hyped forecast.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #590
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    bottom of the hobacks
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    What are you seeing?

    Woody's still not showing much in the mountains @ 10k...



    Nice shots!

    I think the middle shot would work better 100% in focus (if you can remove that effect)... or adjust it so the skier is in focus and the entire background is soft. Maybe it's just my photography background, but the focus effect trips me out because a real camera couldn't get both the skier and middle ground in focus.
    Thanks! Totally understand the photo critique, and agree with you. It was an off the hip iPhone shot that was really meh to begin with, so was just having fun in an attempt to make it more interesting. Maybe next time I'll drag a tilt shift lens out the powder 8's...



    Here's a link to the University of Utah ensemble graph for RPK. I believe this site/models are set up and run by Jim Steenburgh (Professor Powder) down in SLC. My understanding is that each line represents a model run with slightly different initial input parameters. Bolder lines are averages. Lighter blue is the Euro model and darker blue is the GFS American model. It's a continuous line graph so the Y axis representing snow accum is the total through time. Time is UTC, which is 7 hrs ahead of us. The upper two graphs are the amount of water forecasted by the model, while the bottom two are showing the snow forecast. The lower left hand is the graph to pay attention to. Lower right-hand dives into density and is somewhat complex

    https://weather.utah.edu/index.php?t=naefs&r=JHRV&d=PL

    Im a total AMATUER but holler if you have other questions about it, happy to discuss.

    FWIW, looks like NOAA is suggesting 6-11" at Fred's
    https://weather.utah.edu/index.php?t=naefs&r=JHRV&d=PL
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

  16. #591
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Thanks! Totally understand the photo critique, and agree with you. It was an off the hip iPhone shot that was really meh to begin with, so was just having fun in an attempt to make it more interesting. Maybe next time I'll drag a tilt shift lens out the powder 8's...



    Here's a link to the University of Utah ensemble graph for RPK. I believe this site/models are set up and run by Jim Steenburgh (Professor Powder) down in SLC. My understanding is that each line represents a model run with slightly different initial input parameters. Bolder lines are averages. Lighter blue is the Euro model and darker blue is the GFS American model. It's a continuous line graph so the Y axis representing snow accum is the total through time. Time is UTC, which is 7 hrs ahead of us. The upper two graphs are the amount of water forecasted by the model, while the bottom two are showing the snow forecast. The lower left hand is the graph to pay attention to. Lower right-hand dives into density and is somewhat complex

    https://weather.utah.edu/index.php?t=naefs&r=JHRV&d=PL

    Im a total AMATUER but holler if you have other questions about it, happy to discuss.

    FWIW, looks like NOAA is suggesting 6-11" at Fred's
    https://weather.utah.edu/index.php?t=naefs&r=JHRV&d=PL
    you can throw this into the mix as well which I have found to be much more accurate compared to the U of U this season
    https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather...merica_5828677
    or nerd out yourself and you can use the college of DuPage as well.
    https://weather.cod.edu/forecast/
    and while you're at it the CAIC too
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/foreca...del-forecasts/

  17. #592
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    16,061
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Many of my best days at the Village were the sleeper days: Nothing reported at 6am, then snowing all day, all tracks getting blown in/refilled. Walk-ons at the end of the day feel like a private club where those on a half-filled box look around at each other like everyone's run the lottery.

    Often on those days, there's a TON of hype the next morning: Every local is out to ski the reported 12" (bluebird).... only to realize it all fell between 6a & 4p the previous day and is skied up.

    Yes, yes.... first box is amazing and I've had seasons of getting lots of them like most folks in this thread, but there's also lots of hype with it which sometimes works against you.
    So true.
    A bit overnight. Maybe five to eight inches. Not too much. Keep the crowds away.
    Then all day inch or two an hour.
    From two till closing, hit the same run and can’t see your own tracks.
    No lines. No stress.

    So much more fun than the powder rope drop frenzy.

    Granted I do have some good memories of epic first chair. But the vibe of late day deepness is the best.

    One of my all time memories was lapping east ridge chair for four hours in waist deep. Could not figure out why there was no lift line.

    I think that’s why the village lost its appeal for you UAN.
    That powder frenzy has become uncivilized.
    I do like first chair deepness. But I prefer the 11am let’s go for a hike out the gates after the frenzy. Less vert. More chill.

  18. #593
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    9,692
    I was looking at hotel prices in Jackson for a visit in early or mid June and was shocked to see how expensive everything else. Is that normal for what I would consider pre-summer season?

  19. #594
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,117
    Summer starts June 1st, basically. And ends these days around mid-October.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  20. #595
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    9,692
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Summer starts June 1st, basically. And ends these days around mid-October.
    So I guess $400/night is normal then?
    I was shockedÖitís cheaper to stay in Jackson during ski season than June.

    Any campgrounds you all would recommend?

  21. #596
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,117
    Yes, it has been that way forever. We get 4-5 million tourists per ‘summer’ season (because of the parks).

    Winter has always been a tiny fraction of that. We aren’t a ski town as much as a summer town, by the numbers.

    ~$400-$600 is normal for a very basic room in June. There is only one campground in town, at The Virginian. I searched, it’s about $150-$200 a night, mid week. It’s small, though, so will sell out quick.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  22. #597
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    9,692
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yes, it has been that way forever. We get 4-5 million tourists per Ďsummerí season (because of the parks).

    Winter has always been a tiny fraction of that. We arenít a ski town as much as a summer town, by the numbers.

    ~$400-$600 is normal for a very basic room in June. There is only one campground in town, at The Virginian. I searched, itís about $150-$200 a night, mid week. Itís small, though, so will sell out quick.
    Makes sense, didnít realize that though.

    What about campgrounds outside of town? I know the ones in the park are reservation only and are already booked but are their others people here would recommend?

  23. #598
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Driggs
    Posts
    427
    This refresh was nice, still finding the bottom, but fun skiing!

    It is reactive as all get out, but not propagating/slabbed up at all at the lower elevations I skied this AM.

  24. #599
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Driggs
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    This refresh was nice, still finding the bottom, but fun skiing!

    It is reactive as all get out, but not propagating/slabbed up at all at the lower elevations I skied this AM.
    The six greatly improved the skiing and my outlook on life. I'll take it! (the elder)

  25. #600
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,117
    The only campgrounds I know of are a KOA south of town on 89 in Hoback, and one in Victor, Idaho. There is a little boondocking up Mosquito Creek, Curtis Canyon, and Shadow Mountain.
    A few more boondocking opportunities on the Idaho side, though. First come first serve, as far as I know.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •