Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Too much shrubbery to attempt any of the Stateline Oliver skiing yet. We don't have Targhee passes but I bet DC is blown down. Sac or Blackfoot would be the best call if you're in TV.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk
    Left Ogden this morning at 9am. And we’re currently stuck in Soda Springs. Made an attempt to come in via star valley but it’s closed now too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s fucking crazy out there. Trying to make ii home to Tetonia from Denver, anyone else have the pleasure of driving I80 today? Holy shit, that was not pleasant. Sitting in pinedale waiting for things to chill out. Lucky for me years of skiing at targhee trained me to ski/drive blindfolded. Here is a pic of when the vis was good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6025.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	673.4 KB 
ID:	398284

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...3&d=1640556422

Upallnite photo in above link. This pic really grabbed my attention and really a special shot. Great perspective of entering the white room. Great photo. Hope all stays safe.
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Left Ogden this morning at 9am. And we’re currently stuck in Soda Springs. Made an attempt to come in via star valley but it’s closed now too.

Good luck to you and @gtid getting home!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...3&d=1640556422

Upallnite photo in above link. This pic really grabbed my attention and really a special shot. Great perspective of entering the white room. Great photo. Hope all stays safe.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah... it was nearly too deep to turn! I appreciate you looking/commenting.

TIITTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssd.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	398309

Nuff said...

JFC, I'm starting to have withdrawals.

If I wasn't amped for turns earlier, I sure as fuck am now. I am gonna be one charging aggro Mofo come next week.

Thanks UaN, you devil you.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Here we sit at the feet of the Teton range, ready to rock.

Patience is a virtue here as we are notoriously slow to start, but typically, it begins to get more wintry as we near the Holidays.
    More often than not, That prime week is either cold as all hell and dry bluebird at -22,or deeper than most visitors can manage. Like feet for days... Fat skis have affected that though.
    Let's hope for an encore performance of last years la Nina. That was a solid season, as was the year prior.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All of Western Wyoming and Eastern Idaho Mags are part of this local tribe and we open our world to you.
    Come and SKI with us.
    Bada bing, bada boom, ski ya soon!

You know it's deep, when you shorten up your pole grip.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

UaN, how are you capturing these photos? I thought DSLR but in some shots it seems you may both be moving.

Thanks for keeping the stoke high, great shots of the snorkeling!

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    They just closed the pass, possibly for avy control and to get a good scrape. Nice front just passed through Driggs. Be well and have fun.
    No control work was preformed and the closure was due to low to no visibility at the top and west side of the pass. When the most even keeled 20yr plow drive says it's bad, it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by noparking View Post
    No control work was preformed and the closure was due to low to no visibility at the top and west side of the pass. When the most even keeled 20yr plow drive says it's bad, it's bad.
    Thanks for setting us straight. How sparky is the wind slab on Twin?

Thanks for setting us straight. How sparky is the wind slab on Twin?

this morning around 11 there was no slab out in the start zone or around the pillow above #1. A couple quick hand pits had breaks down 15cm and 40cm within new storm snow on faint hardness changes. I bet it looks a little different in twin after the nuking winds that picked up around 2-3p.

Quote Originally Posted by noparking View Post
    this morning around 11 there was no slab out in the start zone or around the pillow above #1. A couple quick hand pits had breaks down 15cm and 40cm within new storm snow on faint hardness changes. I bet it looks a little different in twin after the nuking winds that picked up around 2-3p.
    Interesting. We're headed up on the west side tomorrow, will ping you what we find.

Interesting. We're headed up on the west side tomorrow, will ping you what we find.

that would be greatly appreciated

TIITTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssd.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	398309

Nuff said...
    Good eye!

If I wasn't amped for turns earlier, I sure as fuck am now. I am gonna be one charging aggro Mofo come next week.

My pleasure! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    You know it's deep, when you shorten up your pole grip.

Quote Originally Posted by m5d5cb View Post
    UaN, how are you capturing these photos? I thought DSLR but in some shots it seems you may both be moving.

Thanks for keeping the stoke high, great shots of the snorkeling!
    DSLR, mainly. Sometimes a GoPro or iPhone. Occasionally I'm panning with my subject, but I'm not very good at achieving what I want to with that.

Need help.

Flight into JAC cancelled and so flying to BZN and hoping to drive to Jackson (or at least Victor). (Could not get into JAC, Idaho Falls or SLC.)

Have never driven this area before.

Any info on best route and links for road conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mags! Happy to buy brews aaa thank you for local knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Need help.

Flight into JAC cancelled and so flying to BZN and hoping to drive to Jackson (or at least Victor). (Could not get into JAC, Idaho Falls or SLC.)

Any info on best route and links for road conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Download the Idaho 511 app and check for road closures often. Currently the roads from the north into Teton Valley are closed, so I think you’d have to come in through Idaho Falls to Antelope Flats. And I don’t want to be pessimistic, but Antelope Flats could close anytime due to blowing snow. You doing this in a rental car I’m guessing? Four wheel drive with snow tires would be key.

I think you mean the wind farms, and not Antelope Flats? The route over Pine Creek Pass?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think you mean the wind farms, and not Antelope Flats? The route over Pine Creek Pass?
    Antelope flats is the flat shitty windy section of 26 prior to dropping down Conant hill. Only slightly less hairy than 33!

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Need help.

Vibes, that's going to be a long drive in a poorly equipped rental car. Hopefully they have some options with 4wd, snows, or ideally both.

I drove 26 multiple times a weekend all through last winter and they did a pretty good job of at least keeping that route open, definitely very sketch at times.

Any mags have experience with 191 vs 287 driving south from Bozeman? Personally only driven 191 myself, did it in a storm last winter and it wasn't too bad. That route at least appears to be open right now - 191 south to West Yellowstone, then 20 all the way to Idaho Falls. If you're not digging the driving setup by then you can at least avoid the more hilly drive of Pine Creek and Teton pass by sending 26 straight out to Alpine, 89 the rest of the way.

Here's a link to Idaho 511 if the app is giving you grief. I normally just go to the website on my phone and it behaves well enough.

https://511.idaho.gov/@-115.6969,45....ingsAreaEvents

I do know if you end up going 287/87 or 191 to 20, 26, there are only really two notable grades you'll have to descend. One off the caldera from Island Park to Ashton, and the other coming down off Antelope flats as snapt mentioned. The straight, open stretch of 20 just south of Henry Lake can and does get wind fucked, and sometimes closed too. No way to avoid that stretch unless you go all the way up to 15.

x2

Like others said Idaho 511 is your friend and refresh often. I think I've taken almost every way from MT down to Jackson. I had to take 15 to 26 then back north last year and they closed 26 literally behind me. There was no real option to get back to MT for 3 days but the riding was great(thanks to Djongo hookup). A buddy from Bozeman was just down in star valley and got stuck in Rexburg last night and made it back today but said they broke trail on 87 back to 287. Be ready for an adventure and keep an eye on weather/closures/hotel options.

Enough road anti stoke. Thanks for all the great pow shots guys/gals!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

I’ve only taken 191 to 20. But, with good winter tires. If you come that route, you can take 33 before Rexburg to Driggs & Victor and over Teton Pass, again awd/4wd and good tires. Otherwise, I guess head south, take 26 and drive around the long way through the canyon. Use Idaho 511, especially the cameras. They’ll give better info on road conditions. I think Montana has MDT 511.

If you have to take the long route, I15, you can take 33 at Sage Junction to Rexburg and then over to Victor. Otherwise, head south to IF to get 26.

At 2:30 local time, I'd say your best bet is to get on I 90 west to I 15 south.

Go to exit 143 at Sage junction and get onto Idaho 33 to rexburg.

At rexburg you can either take the town route, staying on 33, (or hop onto 20 which it intersects with and go north east for a few miles and then get back onto 33 east) towards driggs.
    The jog on 20 saves you going thru rexburg town, that's all.
    There's a cobblestone hotel in Victor, which is just past driggs, about 10-12 miles. It's a good stop if you can't get over teton pass.

The webcams show that as the least stressful roadway thru to JH. Maybe faster, oddly, considering the weather.

Relax, drive safely, and realize that skiing in JH is about as good as you could want right now. It'll be worth the work, trust me.

And from afar, it seems like the liftlines are waaaaay shorter this holiday season than the last 2 years combined.