Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

JACKSON '21-'22 ~~ w/the 'Ghee, the King, The KC, the Creek and the Passes

Here we sit at the feet of the Teton range, ready to rock.

Patience is a virtue here as we are notoriously slow to start, but typically, it begins to get more wintry as we near the Holidays.
    More often than not, That prime week is either cold as all hell and dry bluebird at -22,or deeper than most visitors can manage. Like feet for days... Fat skis have affected that though.
    Let's hope for an encore performance of last years la Nina. That was a solid season, as was the year prior.

We're planning a get together this season here at the Village. From Jan 22 through Feb 6, we're gonna have any daily variety of visiting Mags skiing together and having a good time.
    It's called ' The Quick and the Dead ' or the JH BBI22
    The daily approach will depend entirely upon that morning's conditions and how you feel. Chargers will ski with the like and chilly wills can group up and enjoy the Big mtn. at their pace. Lotsa quality mags already booked in so drop a PM if ya need info.

That weekend in the middle, we'll have a party and big shenanigans. This party began as an idea to get mags to have friendly ski competitions, (speed is always part of the equation here), partying and good times with other ski bums from lots of cool paths.
    I have yet to meet a mag who wasn't cool and collected, lotsa variation in there, mind you, but always a pleasant connection. I look forward to that this winter.

JHMR isn't requiring masks in lines but are on the tram; The box will go back to 100 passengers per car so that should be interesting.
    With any luck, the pressure at the ski area will lessen a bit but I'm guessing against that.

And as usual, getting the best of skiing here at the village will require some game playing, tactics, strategery and some balls would help.
    And a willingness to get up early for the storms.
    Days of blowing in snow. 4 foot drifts down ridgelines for 500 turns.
    Standing in lines for blower in the pines.
    Decision making, fast and sure, skiing up a guides back, baking that first track.
    Soft lines that will out run you and swallow you up.

So we wait, the borderland Mags, for the good times once again to roll.
    All of Western Wyoming and Eastern Idaho Mags are part of this local tribe and we open our world to you.
    Come and SKI with us.

Subscribed...going to come ski wit youz guyz

Nice work DJ really looking forward to the season. And pumped you guys are heading west MNIAW
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

beautiful OP.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    beautiful OP.
    seconded ^^^

Thank you for this, Dj!
    seeing it posted brought me a smile,
    reading your OP, brought me a sweet peacefulness. . . Thank you !

I hope the JH22 gathering is a smashing success - for You most of all.
    You have earned it !

I hope Harry gets there...
    ( there is a gig at BS, too (Busy season... ) )

Thank you for the stoke and your vibe you bring to this community - I am richer for it -

With Respect.
    And for splat,

FknA ! skiJ
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Some random links I thought the collective might find useful

Snow Report
    Big Sheet (avy report can be found at this site as well)

NOAA Point Weather Forecasts
    RPK
    Teton Pass
    Ghee
    Kelly Canyon

RPK Ensemble Forecast
    ^ This one gets into the "weather weeds" a bit. But is basically a graph showing a compilation of a bunch of different snow accumulation models and some BOLDED lines for averages. The NOAA forecast is based on one of these models, so it's a good gut check for the variability of a forecast.

Long Rang Precip
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prec1.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	392283

Webcams
    Cody Bowl (might be down right now, I'll update later)
    Cody Bowl

Teton Pass

Name:	WYO22TetonPassWest.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	392282

Dornan's

Targhee

Targhee Stick of Truth

Patrol Phone #s
    JHMR - 307-739-2650
    Targhee - 1 307-353-2300 ext.1333

What am I missing??

Happy winter y'all
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Name:	D1850F4B-3DDE-48BC-AA73-4549537F838C.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	702.1 KB 
ID:	392294

My 2021/2022 season opened on Halloween.

Long walk in the Park, fun pow:

Name:	DSCF0604-2.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	392304

Another day...

Name:	DSCF0622.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	392305

Yo, thanks for the compliments and all the good vibes and stokyness.
    Please feel free to bring all ya got this winter.

-Norse's ridge shot is exaaaactly where I spoke of. Pepi's ridge, Middle of the Sublette ridgeline, summit to floor.

-SVS' shot of TFT, testing a deadly cornice. That's some funny shit right there.

Thanks for all the web connex, Bronic. Lots to size up before making decisions, those tools are key.

Life has been quite a series of hurdles over the past 2 seasons for most of us. Hoping this season will be a bit easier stretch.

Most years, I just flow into the ski season.
    This year I've got plans for skiing the hundo+, hosting the Q and D BBIJH22, Roadtripping and couch surfing the 21/22 Ikon path with the pass that Ottime gave me, and going to Europe with a bunch of ski bum mags, funded by the collective and Buster on point, then a Big Sky BBIMT22 shindig that's gonna be a blast.

I am overwhelmed. My gratitude to all of you is what flows from me now.

I am flat out jonesing to ski with so many of you.
    Kokomas, Schwerty, Upallnight, Xtine, 2Bjenny, Babybear and her skijunky, LBL and family, Supergaper, Swerve...All friends, especially on a pow day.

Wish I could get in a few more turns with skiing-in-jackson, RIP my brother, I miss you.
    Those of you visiting for a day or weeks, I'll ski ya when I see ya, can't wait!
    M6 -ftmfw...

I'm hoping to ski with 50 Mags this season, maybe half of them yet unmet.
    Come and visit us SkiJ, we want ya Mag.

Look forward to many deep laps with EastorBust this winter.
    The Mag has shown some spectacular colors in becoming a village loc in one season.
    That cat gets after it.

Some Leeper stoke:

Thinking about heading up this weekend for a smash & grab tour - Targhee, maybe the park, maybe Togwotee. Can any mags comment on this recent storm? Is it worth the drive to get some early season powder touring in, or should I just stay in SLC?

Thanks in advance, y'all

^^^^
    Snowing in the valley right now but it's been the usual not too much November so far. OTOH, Upallnight seems to know where to go at the moment, maybe he'll chime in or you could PM him.
    Solid mag, OG bud, he knows the groove.

Thanks for the new thread DJ! Looking forward to skiing with ya soon!

People are skiing the ghee but up until the last few days they've been driving trucks around the hill. I wouldn't drive 4 hours for it.

Hopefully get to noodle around the pass with more of you this winter.

I bet the drive down was sketchballz...

Name:	WYO22TetonPassWest1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	392351

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    <snip>
    We're planning a get together this season here at the Village. From Jan 22 through Feb 6, we're gonna have any daily variety of visiting Mags skiing together and having a good time.
    It's called ' The Quick and the Dead ' or the JH BBI22

It's been a great Autumn here, lots of late season biking and good weather but I'm glad to see some snow finally falling and glad to see this new thread!

Fun will be had

Name:	B836C302-4B25-4920-9679-91B5A13AB91F.jpeg 
Views:	189 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	392363
    skid luxury

Targhee is closing uphill access starting Monday the 15th just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Thinking about heading up this weekend for a smash & grab tour - Targhee, maybe the park, maybe Togwotee. Can any mags comment on this recent storm? Is it worth the drive to get some early season powder touring in, or should I just stay in SLC?

Thanks in advance, y'all
    Hoping to head up to Targhee today and will report back!

At 1pm today it was @38* and Grand Foghee. Turns off Blackfoot/Chief Joe consisted of 6” or so of sticky glop. At least it’ll be a decent base for whenever we get snow and colder temps. Not worth heading up IMO. Also uphill travel closes Monday as they prep for opening late next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet thread as usual Djongo! I'm getting everything set for Andermatt, looking forward to skiing with you and the other Mags. Holy crap man, have you been looking at the online photos and vids of that place? It's totally insane!

So thankful for the opportunity and humbled by the support. A massive thank you to everyone that has contributed! It's always been a dream to go ski in the Alps and now it's happening!

Back to Jackson, what's up with the King this year? I saw some photos of new runs, is the gondola going to be up and running? How are people feeling about all of this? That summit chair was slow and cold. I always loved the King. I like the improvements but I hope it doesn't kill the character too much. Bearcat (Think that was the name of the steep gladded run) was always a favorite, are they bulldozing that trail? I hope not. If I can ever get back up that way to ski I definitely want to check it all out.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Thanks for kicking off the thread, and the snow report links collected in one place. Stoked!

Good in spots today:

Name:	DSCF1046.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	645.1 KB 
ID:	392636

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    At 1pm today it was @38* and Grand Foghee. Turns off Blackfoot/Chief Joe consisted of 6” or so of sticky glop. At least it’ll be a decent base for whenever we get snow and colder temps. Not worth heading up IMO. Also uphill travel closes Monday as they prep for opening late next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Confirmed. I would not recommend heading up there.