Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Figure it's time to check in here. I'll be out at the vill tomorrow morning. Green jacket, dark blue pants and grey avi vest.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Anybody know how flights into Jackson are doing?
    https://www.jacksonholeairport.com/flights/

everything is showing on time now but the dominos will start falling soon, I imagine

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    All this talk of driving Jackson to Bozeman...
    bro. how did you get that picture of me?

but yeah- could be a hairy drive- safe travels!
    skid luxury

i enjoyed reading the snow report thoroughly today and really like this webcam pic of Thunder right now. Can't wait for a some lunch laps today. Have fun and be safe out there everyone
    ! Name:  tower2.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  13.6 KB
    Last edited by kokomas; 01-06-2022 at 08:53 AM.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

JACKSON '21-'22 ~~ w/the 'Ghee, the King, The KC, the Creek and the Passes

I just went outside to shovel the walkway and the snow is light as a feather.
    I’m working today so somebody please make a turn for me. preferably a deep one
    skid luxury

^^^ 2nd that.

Pics please! I was planning to be there this week but mega road closures early this week + family obligations this weekend kept me at home. It’s been an epic 3 weeks of snow, but finished off with 2” off r**n last night in true pnw fashion

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    All this talk of driving Jackson to Bozeman...
    I lulzed, heartily. Well-played.

I was telling hutash that I've made that drive dozens of times and to send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    ^^^^^
    The best thing you could do is delay for a day. Ski tomorrow. Let the brunt of the storm hit while you're skiing and the pass is closed. Then pull out late day or in the friday am.

Wyoroad.info is where ya wanna search.

Right now it says avy blasting to start at noon. I'd be driving up by 11:15 at the latest.

Go either via ID 31/ US 26 from Victor towards swan valley/Idaho falls then north on US 20 to West Yellowstone, then north on 191 to Bozeman.

Or, go through Victor and Driggs and take ID 33 to the junction with US 20 North to W. Yello.

511 idaho.gov helps with possible road closures .
    Good to know. Hutash; as we discussed, check that stretch between Tetonia and Ashton. It often gets closed to drifting and blowing snow, but a quick shot west to Idaho's Balls, then north through Ashton, and up through Island Park is a quick re-route.

Oh, and keep all that lift-line stoke coming while you're 'stuck' skiing knee-deep blower. Sounds horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    ^^^ 2nd that.

Pics please! I was planning to be there this week but mega road closures early this week + family obligations this weekend kept me at home. It’s been an epic 3 weeks of snow, but finished off with 2” off r**n last night in true pnw fashion
    Well but of course it did. I'm back in town. This is the way it works. It should be good again next week when I head to the Tetons. So... you're welcome?

26 between Swan Valley and Idaho Falls is open at the moment but has been closed for the last 3 days (with occasional brief openings) so if you plan on heading that way I would double check before committing. It is snowing hard in Swan Valley at the moment.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    26 between Swan Valley and Idaho Falls is open at the moment but has been closed for the last 3 days (with occasional brief openings) so if you plan on heading that way I would double check before committing. It is snowing hard in Swan Valley at the moment.
    I know you know, but neither 26 or 33 are “safe” bets in a storm. I’ve had them close right in front of me after committing one way or the other.

I’ve got serious FOMO watching this thread, glad you guys are getting some!

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    It’s blowing almost 40 in the north valley near 33. We’re on wind hold after aborting our attempt to get out of the house via snomo (stuck once in big drifts). Hope the free ghee refills continue this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I know you know, but neither 26 or 33 are “safe” bets in a storm. I’ve had them close right in front of me after committing one way or the other.

I’ve got serious FOMO watching this thread, glad you guys are getting some!
    Yep if the W picks up it can close in a heartbeat! I too have some serious FOMO going on, makes it REALLY hard to concentrate on work.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just got out for a lunch lap at the village upper mountain closed for the day for wind and avy. Snow upside down. Still plenty on lower to track out

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Stolen from our Oregon thread...

All the mountain driving in the west today be like:
    Name:  271260969_10226102806507892_5855833112872678539_n.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  97.2 KB

I bailed on driving and skied today. Too bad the shut down so much, but at least got one run on Thunder down to Union Pass. Via was terrible and goggles fogged between lenses, so loads of fun. Still found lots of good turns, a few dedicated to b-bear.

Hopefully can make the drive tomorrow.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Stolen from our Oregon thread...

All the mountain driving in the west today be like:
    Name:  271260969_10226102806507892_5855833112872678539_n.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  97.2 KB
    Actual photo from I-80 in Wyoming today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starwars-traffic1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	336.8 KB 
ID:	399964

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    <snip>
    Hopefully can make the drive tomorrow.

JACKSON '21-'22 ~~ w/the 'Ghee, the King, The KC, the Creek and the Passes

Maybe a stupid question - can an upside down snowpack or storm layer heal itself, from a consistency standpoint?

I was able to find the answer to that question from a stability perspective quite easily.

6:40am: Snowblow driveway in East Jackson, blower pow!

7:30am, pull into Cody Lot at JHMR, already refreshed blower pow over plowed lot!

7:40: In tram line for first box, still hammering.

9:50am: First box goes up.

Bowl: low vis heavy wind and grauple affected, pretty much survival skiing, shooting cracks everywhere.

Put in Sparky's traverse to N. Hoback, cracks shooting 20-30 feet out and up above me in N Woods, about knee deep.

North Hoback, 1" of grauple skin over about 12-16" of blower, so not that fun, kinda ok to make old school short pow turns but
    skis were on the bottom and running and grauple layer was piling up on legs and body and really slowing me down.

11:30am: Back at office.

tl;dr Super upside down.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

I got first chair outta Teewinot and by the time we got to AV, I was 2 chairs ahead of everyone.
    Raced off and made a choice wiggle down the lumpy off piste beneath the chair. One of my favorite soft lines to start had to have been 20" deep and drifting to 40".
    And light, hoo boy, 7-8 % at mid mountain.

The warmer graupely precip started about 20 minutes before blast off so you could feel a slight damp zipper forming. The firstest stage of an upside down dump.

On the groomy CowPow section, it was maybe boottop deep again and just buzzing beneath me as I cranked GS turns for about a half mile down wide open, uncut the whole way. It makes the wait worth it. I lub me some first tracks man.

The wind has really been our friend on this cycle.

Took a few laps enjoying the low hanging fruit again at mid mountain. The snow was as deep as higher up but a lower SWE%. It was deeeeep.
    Waist deep drifts all over and kneedeep almost solid around radioactive woods and shot 105/Avalanche.
    Christ man, places me and Truckee Joe were slashing through a coupla days ago required going straight and not stopping, finding a track to roll in today.

Launched about 20' offa the cattrack heading to RJ's hut and the landing must have been 3 feet deep cuz' it just enveloped me. Did a full cartwheel in the white room and sat there, tips up. Gondy cars were whistling and yelling to me. It went south quick.

Deeper and a lil bit denser than yesterday. Still sharks to be found but that's more overzealousness than poor choices. Dang, I've been pegging them good this week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The patrol spent extra time blasting this am and seemed to really be trying to force something. Big booms late.
    Cracking and sheets of top slough were apparent everywhere. From just skiing close, a sheet would be crackled or shearing a smooth top layer.
    Gonna get weird before it locks down. Looks like incoming High pressure, maybe that'll help.

Hope all had a good day, what a drag so much got blown down.

Tomorrow should be fun, gonna be warm, wetter snow and plenty o' mank to go around, bring your chargers for the rodeo. First box will be choice, chalky windbuff methinks.

Found a bunch of small slabs breaking loose all over the place. Nothing of concern, but in consequential terrain that is worrisome. Be careful out there.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Got that first box also. Deep on that first run, you couldn't see anything. Was setting of small slides 7-8" top layer in lots of places in the snowpack but they didn't seem to step down. Like others have said maybe a little on the heavy side for you, but I felt right at home. Finished with some gondi laps that still had many hidden goods.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Maybe a stupid question - can an upside down snowpack or storm layer heal itself, from a consistency standpoint?

I was able to find the answer to that question from a stability perspective quite easily.
    Cold fixes warm n damp over cold n dry drying out the wet, lots of evidence of that on Wed. as it started upside down and turned to nice fluff. More snow fixes everything of course.

Posted this to facebook, but figured it might get more traction here:

Had a Nordica Enforcer 110 191 (sidewall repair under binding on one ski) with pre-wtr pivot 14s (white, but one mismatched black heel piece) and Black Diamond adjustable poles (black with green handles and baskets) stolen from the rack outside the Spur tonight. There was a rental ski burried in the snow behind the rack, so I'm hoping the guy shows up tomorrow realizing he grabbed the wrong skis. Please let me know if you see these things floating around.

Other than that, it's been an awesome few days here before snow turned to cement at mid-day. Had a couple laps with SuperGaper yesterday morning that were among the best in recent memory.

*edit* Skis somehow made their way to the rack outside the moose. They're safely home now.
    Last edited by mangle; 01-07-2022 at 11:34 AM. Reason: skis found!

That was really good... sorry it closed down.

Thinking Jackson again tomorrow instead of Ghee?

Ghee Saturday... Sunday Ghee or if things calm down some Pass laps.

Hit me up!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Happy MFBD HMS (bonus points if you can find the dog)

Name:	ski Taylor 20220102_013.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	832.6 KB 
ID:	400013
    How the southern Jews do it

Name:	ski Taylor 20220102_011.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	871.0 KB 
ID:	400014