Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Found some soft, untracked:
    Those look like rental poles.

Quote Originally Posted by stevied View Post
    Those look like rental poles.
    Good eye!

Wildernest…..

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post

Hope your feeling better soon DJ. Ski you next year if your still on this side of the pond.
    Glad you enjoyed yurp.

Sitting in the airport waiting on a waaay delayed flight. Won’t get back home until tomorrow now.

Bummer to hear of the unfortunate occurrence yesterday.
    We saw the copter and you hope for a more positive outcome.
    Conditions have been all about the aspect.
    Attachment 410007
    Attachment 410008
    Stole my line.

Nice to have a 4K lift into the alpine.
    Attachment 410009
    Attachment 410010

Dumped all day up top Wednesday.
    Attachment 410011

If you look close. You can see this guy landed on the crown.
    Attachment 410012
    Attachment 410013

We were just about to start dropping when we saw a huge snow cloud appear below.
    Natural release.
    Attachment 410014

Thanks for the year Jackson.
    Have to make the most of what you get.
    That was me in Four Shadows. We had already observed how Cody was like a Teflon fry pan with everything falling off of it. I jumped just onto the old crown trying to trigger the hangfire. Barely touched it and it went. If you look close you can see the small slide on the skiers rt wall coming down. It cleaned out most of the hangfire which was the goal. The next day everything was glued on.

^^^^^

FOG's clearing the path in the Shadows. Nice, dog.

Looks pretty tittyz from here, smooth and steady as she goes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lever used to make corn spring laps on that wall that Leeper set off. You remember the name of it?
    I can see a few issues with that drop, considering wind loading. And it is so lee to the prevailing wind, it could catch a foot in overdrift, when only a skiff lands in the bowl.

I'd argue that he cracked it upon landing but only got it to go after touching another weak point, in turn activating the initial crack to completion.
    Like a rock chip in your windshield that, when another one pings close by, they connect and shoot.

Hope your feeling better soon DJ. Ski you next year if your still on this side of the pond.
    Glad you enjoyed yurp.
    Thanks mag, ski ya when I see ya.
    Looks like you and them kooks had good turns, glad for ya. Tell them I said hey and ski them next time too.

Hehehehe - that second sentence was not lost on me.

I’m staying at the hostel this weekend, feel free to say hi. Wish me luck I’ve never actually been in there before!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My son showed my that leeper post. I’m not an insta guy.

My first thought was hubris.

Then I read the text. He’s trying to educate.

He probed and checked the landing which was stable. Started skiing down after the landing and it changed texture. Didn’t like it.
    Started traversing out and he hit a weak spot near a rock.
    Called it in to patrol to save them a search.
    . . .

^Yea, sounds like he did things about as well as one could in that situation.

What’s really spooky is what could have happened if it didn’t release on the hike, or obviously if it had went when he was 50’ lower.

Not sure if it was related to this particular event but I had a dream last night about digging someone out. We recovered the person alive but I remember initially reading my beacon and it saying they were 4m down and my heart sinking. Weird dream.

Anyway, who’s skiing today? Got to get some work done this morning but going to try and make it out for some PM laps.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    That was me in Four Shadows. We had already observed how Cody was like a Teflon fry pan with everything falling off of it. I jumped just onto the old crown trying to trigger the hangfire. Barely touched it and it went. If you look close you can see the small slide on the skiers rt wall coming down. It cleaned out most of the hangfire which was the goal. The next day everything was glued on.

the ‘before’ pic of wstdeep on top of 4shadows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F0139867-7E3F-446A-8FEB-FF56A8798C8D.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	410175
    Next time you got to let me know when your going
    so I can catch you in flight.

so both pics are on the same page

Snow quality exceeded (modest) expectations:

Name:	untitled-58-3.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	410198

Name:	untitled-59-5.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	996.3 KB 
ID:	410199

Dayum, very nice UAN.
    We are on track for arrival on Wednesday

Aggressive in my own mind

the ‘before’ pic of wstdeep on top of 4shadows.

Name:	F0139867-7E3F-446A-8FEB-FF56A8798C8D.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	410175
    Next time you got to let me know when your going
    so I can catch you in flight.
    Jeebus. Community service award right there.
    Hiking Cody to clean hangfire. Damn.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Jeebus. Community service award right there.
    Hiking Cody to clean hangfire. Damn.
    Just kids havin fun !

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Just kids havin fun !
    Clearly you knew the snowpack below the crown was stable af. Because they aren't always. Nice community work

Have a few 1/2 off “buddy” passes that were returned to me unused.
    If anyone can use them - shoot me a PM.

Name:	001F1F28-013C-4CE3-AB9D-8DC0A290D76E.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	865.4 KB 
ID:	410279

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    Dayum, very nice UAN.
    We are on track for arrival on Wednesday
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Clearly you knew the snowpack below the crown was stable af. Because they aren't always. Nice community work
    Events like the 2 on Thursday make me question what I think I know. I'm still scratching my head as to what changed on Thursday (esp w/r/t the Game Creek incident). I've heard some people say "What were they thinking?", but that is a line I could see my crew having felt was safe, esp after the long stretch of stable conditions.

Hm.

On a more positive note, I played with some backlighting today. Solid, wintry pow day today!

Attachment 410333

Have a few 1/2 off “buddy” passes that were returned to me unused.
    If anyone can use them - shoot me a PM.

Name:	001F1F28-013C-4CE3-AB9D-8DC0A290D76E.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	865.4 KB 
ID:	410279

I haven't skied a day at the village... could possibly use one to put in a tour off the Tram....

Will be skiing at the village Fri-Sun this week if all goes to plan. Expecting spring conditions but still excited to get out and ski for a few days. I'll have touring gear if anyone wants to get out for a corn harvest, 100% onboard with pre-dawn departures as needed, 15+ years of experience in the backcountry, by no means a pro but also far from being a liability.

Orange pants, black jacket, white helmet, green poles, moment bibbys or wood topsheet igneous on my feet.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    Will be skiing at the village Fri-Sun this week if all goes to plan. Expecting spring conditions but still excited to get out and ski for a few days. I'll have touring gear if anyone wants to get out for a corn harvest, 100% onboard with pre-dawn departures as needed, 15+ years of experience in the backcountry, by no means a pro but also far from being a liability.

Orange pants, black jacket, white helmet, green poles, moment bibbys or wood topsheet igneous on my feet.
    If you want to take some in bounds laps Sunday give a holler. Pm incoming

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Thank you!

Events like the 2 on Thursday make me question what I think I know. I'm still scratching my head as to what changed on Thursday (esp w/r/t the Game Creek incident). I've heard some people say "What were they thinking?", but that is a line I could see my crew having felt was safe, esp after the long stretch of stable conditions.

Hm.

On a more positive note, I played with some backlighting today. Solid, wintry pow day today!

Attachment 410333
    Adding to the discussion: Wed the day we were up top everything was sliding like it was on Teflon. It was really like a small lab experiment dealing with where to ski. I opted to just pop the corner of the hangfire knowing: 1. I would be already traveling in the direction of safety if something ripped or popped (heck I was moving in the right direction before I touched the snow.) 2. I already knew the area on the rest of the slope was bed surface and was firm with only an inch or so of accumulated snow. Cody was the only area of instability we saw all day. Everything else felt great.

There was another significant "repeater" release just off the top of the tram on the rock face between east ridge and Corbets (hanging rock ???). I share the feeling of contradicting the relatively safety of spring with these touchy areas. I walked down to look into the slide area that Owen touched off seeing no tracks leaving it and not being that far behind..it was still a fresh scene so I had no idea until I looked that someone may or may not be in there still. The crown area was really firm and his ski tracks were just visible on the surface around the crown. The same kind of firm that you feel really safe on...say on the top of Cody.

I think right now you just have to have a different set of eyes than you normally would looking for that unique situation that normally reads "safe" right now and may not be. A couple hundred yards of firm ridgetop snow in a normal year just means spring thaw/freeze is going on and security. This year after well over a month of no snow and shallow depths it is proving to be more complicated than that. Now factor in the difference between close in and true backcountry like UAN is in and it's even more complex.
    Last edited by wstdeep; 03-21-2022 at 10:38 PM.

Thank you!

Hm.

Attachment 410333
    Such a bummer with the game creek slide. We were at baldy knoll a few weeks back and you could see crowns on all of those north facing shots, I bet a bunch were repeaters, it would have been hard for anyone to know that was the case unless they were up there all the time. We we at commissary this weekend and I can tell you there was no way we were going off the north facing stuff into north Leigh, bad mojo, but the west facing stuff skied well for sure Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0830.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	410391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0777.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	410393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0906.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	410394

Hm.

Attachment 410333
    Had the same internal reaction. Pretty sad week on the west side of the hill.

Still finding winter:

Name:	untitled-62-4.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	410448

Name:	untitled-55-3.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	410449

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Had the same internal reaction. Pretty sad week on the west side of the hill.
    Agreed. Real downer of a week. Sorry for all involved.

And also agree on the snowpack situation. I was sitting in Mail Cabin watching people skiing the poop chute on Taylor Thursday morning, thinking "I wouldn't feel too bad about skiing that right now." And then we dug a super perfunctory pit and found that same layer that Game Creek slid on. No reaction to any amount of shovel thumping, but immediately popped out when we pried it. Weird, hard to anticipate snowpack.