Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Such chalky goodness up high and north facing the last couple days. Haven't hit the Hobacks anybody know how they are skiing?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

What a day for a tour. A slight crust on west facing slopes around 9k but manageable for sure. I was solo, so this is all I got. Severe clear for a week or so. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9841.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	400434

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Haven't hit the Hobacks anybody know how they are skiing?
    Pretty good. The wind event smoothed everything out. This morning the middle hoback was nice and soft up top and got progressively stiffer down low, but it was still plenty good top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    It's like af. But pf.
    Wtf. I’m Pf since I didn’t know it was like af.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Pretty good. The wind event smoothed everything out. This morning the middle hoback was nice and soft up top and got progressively stiffer down low, but it was still plenty good top to bottom.
    Sweet thanks

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

JACKSON '21-'22 ~~ w/the 'Ghee, the King, The KC, the Creek and the Passes

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    It's not the most amazing of ski photos, but I'd like to think that Ullr was "liking" this turn from above
    especially as it looks like we have a week or 10 days of a high pressure system?
    Attachment 400426

Happy belated birthday to homemadesalsa too!
    That’s a “can I get a fook yeah” worthy shot

I skied the south Hoback yesterday before I saw you and EoB later at the summit.

In fact I was first off the box and had sweet 4" chalky wind deposit in a vein down the gut of the bowl. The clouds kinda peeled apart as I fall lined it, what a great start.

I skied one marginal lap in Cheyenne trees and then debated the hoback lap. I was trying to connect with EoB but left my phone in the car. Decided to not wait and rolled into Hoback lane about 10th.
    Pushing right, I started in about 8" of flawlessly smooth pow with a velvet zipper. About every 800 vert. ft. you could feel it get a little shallower and a little damper.

After the top 15 turns, I don't think I crossed a carve for over 2k+.

The bottom 200 feet were trenchy ankle biter stuff, quite the adjustment...

After that great first line down, the rest of the morning was just icing on the cake. Soft, slashy chalk and pow on styrofoam. That's good livin' right there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skied the old Legend Pros today. First chairs to empty fast speed groomers. Fastest I've gone all season and it was perfect.
    Rolling 50 easy into sundogs all morning was nice.
    Was just planning on doing some tram laps when I skied down only to have to walk back up. Damn.

I am back in town for the week if anybody wants to make some turns. I likely will be tour guiding for Jackson newbie friends today, but other then some touring I hope to be on the mountainn all week. I had three nice days at Big Sky. They got a good bit of the storm cycle as well, but still lots of rocks (yeah I know , but surprise for Big Scree

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post

almost forgot to mention the tram closed today.
    we arrived around 10:20am or so and had planned to go straight to tram line because it looked dead from the webcams - we should have known hahaha. anyway- we saw Supergaper in the parking lot where he mentioned the tram closure.
    Sounds like electrical again? anyone have any insights?
    something about only one car running today due to electrical. didn't even know that was an option. hope their electrician responds soon!

couple laps on Kemmerer. It is chalky groomer goodness. haven't really seen that before where it looks like hard pack but then you edge in a couple inches of dust. so nice

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I am back in town for the week if anybody wants to make some turns. I likely will be tour guiding for Jackson newbie friends today, but other then some touring I hope to be on the mountainn all week. I had three nice days at Big Sky. They got a good bit of the storm cycle as well, but still lots of rocks (yeah I know , but surprise for Big Scree
    Any chance you'll come over to the Ghee while you are in the area?

It's possible. I have never skied there and have always want to. It mostly depends on how much touring we do.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Reasonably dependable source stated that the required tram part was being shipped from Switzerland today. Waiting the same time frame as four boxes was a chilly one today.

Fun weekend. Saturday turned out to be a great morning of semi dense mid boot pow. Maiden voyage with the Katanas did not disappoint.

Due to the clearing of avy debri in Laramie there was a mid morning rope drop on the cat track to Pepis, Alta Chutes, etc. I timed it decent enough to catch the action…

A portion of the crowd lined up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1641872522.283436.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	400646

Moment of the drop and ensuing Chinese downhill to the funnel

Name:	Image1641872548.384366.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	835.7 KB 
ID:	400647

Despite my waiting around was still able to get first tracks in Alta 2 which is one of my favorites. Alta 1 also skied great on the next couple of laps. Nice meeting up with DJ and kokomas at the cabin for a quick bowl lap and some additional exploratory runs.

Sunday met up with a ripping friend and his buddy mid morning for a mellow OB lap followed by a quick south-north scouring of the resort.

Name:	Image1641872994.000738.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	400648

The two skiers grew up here but to my knowledge have not held passes in quite some time, they both commented on how empty it felt on Sunday. Almost like old times they said.

Also had a teton juggler spotting

Name:	Image1641873657.760109.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	755.9 KB 
ID:	400650

Name:	Image1641873667.313566.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	400651
    Last edited by east or bust; 01-11-2022 at 10:44 AM. Reason: words

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    It's possible. I have never skied there and have always want to. It mostly depends on how much touring we do.
    Hit me up if you think you might make it to Targhee. Would be great to spin some laps. Have a good trip!

Anyone happen to know the details on when and how many times a week they cut the ice at the Wilson rink?

Sunday night was my first time there, that is one hell of a nice luxury to have in town for a hockey player.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Anyone happen to know the details on when and how many times a week they cut the ice at the Wilson rink?

Sunday night was my first time there, that is one hell of a nice luxury to have in town for a hockey player.

I think twice a week. Pretty awesome spot. I suck at skating, (so I suck at hockey), but it’s a sweet spot to try and injure myself. See ya over there sometime.

Edit: maybe an after skiing mag skate sometime?? I’ll drink whiskey and manage safety.
    Last edited by schwerty; 01-11-2022 at 06:17 PM.

Due to the clearing of avy debri in Laramie there was a mid morning rope drop on the cat track to Pepis, Alta Chutes, etc. I timed it decent enough to catch the action…

Moment of the drop and ensuing Chinese downhill to the funnel

Name:	Image1641872548.384366.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	835.7 KB 
ID:	400647
    Isn't that the sliver of snow between Hanging Rock & Laramie Traverse?

Pretty sure they have equipment on it every morning. When I used to skate there with my son/play hockey, I recall they always had it in pretty good shape unless major snow caused them to divert resources elsewhere. Also, if it snows during the day you may need to push the snow off in order to skate.

Made it out for a few scratchy laps late yesterday with Truckee Joe. I'ma call him Truckin' Joe, cause he moves 'em out. I love it.

~ Great Pic Baby Bear, that one's wall worthy fosho.

~ EoB, your pic of the lineup shows a schooler and all of his jr. groms. Fuck them. That's how expert lines get slain by junkturners, just so the schooler can get a good run in while babysitting.

At least they were heading towards bith/2itb zone and not so much down the ridgeline.

Skiing's good but firming up, a little daytime radiation will help cook some corn though.
    Temps are up a bit and the tram box has been repaired so with any luck, we'll be back to walk-ons today.
    My favorite conditions at The Vill - walk on trams.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I think twice a week. Pretty awesome spot. I suck at skating, (so I suck at hockey), but it’s a sweet spot to try and injure myself. See ya over there sometime.

Edit: maybe an after skiing mag skate sometime?? I’ll drink whiskey and manage safety.
    Let’s do it! I will be bringing my skates/stick over every weekend till that rink melts out.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Isn't that the sliver of snow between Hanging Rock & Laramie Traverse?
    Nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Pretty sure they have equipment on it every morning. When I used to skate there with my son/play hockey, I recall they always had it in pretty good shape unless major snow caused them to divert resources elsewhere. Also, if it snows during the day you may need to push the snow off in order to skate.
    That’s sweet if it is daily. Sunday night we had a good group of 7 skate from 6-9pm. Started in the teens and ended around 0°. Lots of kids out there early which was really cool to see. They do have a bunch of nice snow clearing shovels leaning up against the heat shack (which is completely awesome in its own regard). In hindsight it wouldn’t take long to clean off the rink with them when it gets really cut up.

Only suggestion is to get some fence or netting up behind the goals. I wonder who would need to be talked to to make it happen. Hell, it would be a fun and relatively cheap project to tackle as a community funded one. Probably save some windshields throughout the winter.

notification just popped up that Casper Bowl is open for the first time this year. get some.

Let’s do it! I will be bringing my skates/stick over every weekend till that rink melts out.

Nailed it!

That’s sweet if it is daily. Sunday night we had a good group of 7 skate from 6-9pm. Started in the teens and ended around 0°. Lots of kids out there early which was really cool to see. They do have a bunch of nice snow clearing shovels leaning up against the heat shack (which is completely awesome in its own regard). In hindsight it wouldn’t take long to clean off the rink with them when it gets really cut up.

Only suggestion is to get some fence or netting up behind the goals. I wonder who would need to be talked to to make it happen. Hell, it would be a fun and relatively cheap project to tackle as a community funded one. Probably save some windshields throughout the winter.
    Town of Jackson operates the rink. Group of volunteers in Wilson help set up those boards every year.

I think you might be missing the point of that rink, though.... people shouldn't be going top shelf (and firing it out of the rink routinely).

I've never seen a puck come close to hitting a car in my years playing there, but I guess ya never know!

They have workers on it about 6am every day. (A friend who lives adjacent to it was annoyed that they would start up around 5am. It particularly annoyed him that the workers would leave their truck idling for 90 minutes in the parking lot while they worked on the ice.)

Ohh Saratoga too. But bring your Truckee skis

Sorry to bounce in with such a bummer topic, but my friend Rose was critically injured at the Ghee last week and has a long road ahead. I've known this family for over fifteen years- Mike was a treasured co-worker of mine at the Park, Asst Interp Chief, and his wife Rose and two daughters are just the best. If anyone has even a few spare bucks to send their way it would be so appreciated. Thanks for considering...gofundme link.

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Sorry to bounce in with such a bummer topic, but my friend Rose was critically injured at the Ghee last week and has a long road ahead. I've known this family for over fifteen years- Mike was a treasured co-worker of mine at the Park, Asst Interp Chief, and his wife Rose and two daughters are just the best. If anyone has even a few spare bucks to send their way it would be so appreciated. Thanks for considering...gofundme link.

Holy jeebus.
    We all like to ski fast. But you need to be in control.
    Fuck.

=======
    Mom’s life-threatening injuries include a collapsed lung, pulmonary contusion, and lacerated liver along with a broken scapula, multiple broken ribs, shattered tibia and fibula, broken wrist, and possible concussion. It took four surgeries over the course of four days to stop her internal bleeding. The ER surgeon stated that he had never seen such traumatic injuries of this nature coming from a ski resort. He stated her injuries were more consistent with a patient in an automobile accident. As of January 12, 2022, Mom is still in the ICU at EIRMC, has undergone six surgeries, and currently has no recollection of the incident.
    . . .