Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1640
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Still finding winter:
    Attachment 410448

Attachment 410449
    Still taking killer pics!
    . . .

Just perfect at the resort (or at least as perfect as a non pow day gets). Chalk in the shadows, soft in the sun.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

I haven't skied a day at the village... could possibly use one to put in a tour off the Tram....

PM sent.

Have 3 more.

Still finding winter:
    Attachment 410448

Attachment 410449
    Only old phucks ski sans helmet these days.

I forgot my helmet in Utah and skied without one for the first time in 23 years. It was a warm day luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Adding to the discussion.
    Now factor in the difference between close in and true backcountry like UAN is in and it's even more complex.
    Thanks for typing all of that. Discussion and hearing others' thoughts is something I find particularly valuable as I evaluate (and re-evaluate) my own choices.

I think wind-loading played the most significant factor in last Thursday's events — talked with some others who happened to dig pits @ NE 8,800.

I think humility and admitting what we don't know makes us more likely to stay alive — most "fun" ski terrain is avy terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Still taking killer pics!
    Thank you! Still great snow. Some friends were "arguing" with me the other day that my pics are not current. Who am I to dissuade them? Amazing how many people I've know for YEARS think the snow out there (& generally this season) has been awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post

PM sent.

Have 3 more.
    Thank you! It works by using a code at time of check-out? Interesting. Hadn't thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post

I forgot my helmet in Utah and skied without one for the first time in 23 years. It was a warm day luckily.
    Trying to figure out if you are saying you are old (23 year flex) or not old (helmet-wearer). j/k

I do use a helmet, but mainly to protect against rockfall from above.

Quote Originally Posted by gtid View Post
    So much consequential N-facing terrain in those canyons!

The purist in me is trying to figure out why the skier in the 3rd pic is skiing tracks instead of bearing right.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Agreed. Real downer of a week. Sorry for all involved.

And also agree on the snowpack situation. I was sitting in Mail Cabin watching people skiing the poop chute on Taylor Thursday morning, thinking "I wouldn't feel too bad about skiing that right now." And then we dug a super perfunctory pit and found that same layer that Game Creek slid on. No reaction to any amount of shovel thumping, but immediately popped out when we pried it. Weird, hard to anticipate snowpack.
    I've looked up at Taylor Friday, Saturday, Sunday, yesterday and this morning (couldn't see much of it this morning, admittedly), and each time thought "not today." I watched some nice turns laid down.

On what aspect did you dig your pit?

I can't say for certain as I elected NOT to ski Taylor the past few days, but I'm not sure (wondering, not stating) if those aspects facing the lot have the same problem as what went down in Game Creek.

TBH I felt the bigger issue was that the skiing was likely to be more sun-/wind-affected, and I wanted to ski cold, wintry pow, and that informed my decision more than thinking Taylor was inherently unstable.

Thanks!

PS That guy in those images is 65 and is pretty rad. I'm behind the lens, helmetless, but I'm a bit younger.

Thanks for typing all of that. Discussion and hearing others' thoughts is something I find particularly valuable as I evaluate (and re-evaluate) my own choices.

I think wind-loading played the most significant factor in last Thursday's events — talked with some others who happened to dig pits @ NE 8,800.

I think humility and admitting what we don't know makes us more likely to stay alive — most "fun" ski terrain is avy terrain.

Thank you! Still great snow. Some friends were "arguing" with me the other day that my pics are not current. Who am I to dissuade them? Amazing how many people I've know for YEARS think the snow out there (& generally this season) has been awful.

Thank you! It works by using a code at time of check-out? Interesting. Hadn't thought about that.

Trying to figure out if you are saying you are old (23 year flex) or not old (helmet-wearer). j/k

I do use a helmet, but mainly to protect against rockfall from above.

So much consequential N-facing terrain in those canyons!

The purist in me is trying to figure out why the skier in the 3rd pic is skiing tracks instead of bearing right.

I've looked up at Taylor Friday, Saturday, Sunday, yesterday and this morning (couldn't see much of it this morning, admittedly), and each time thought "not today." I watched some nice turns laid down.

I can't say for certain as I elected NOT to ski Taylor the past few days, but I'm not sure (wondering, not stating) if those aspects facing the lot have the same problem as what went down in Game Creek.

TBH I felt the bigger issue was that the skiing was likely to be more sun-/wind-affected, and I wanted to ski cold, wintry pow, and that informed my decision more than thinking Taylor was inherently unstable.

Thanks!
    You are correct about my buddy skiing in tracks. He came out to visit from New Jersey, took him up to the Commissary yurt for 3 days. Not only was it his first time on a yurt trip it was also his first time in the backcountry. This was by his admission the greatest run of his life.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Not in Jackson, plenty of young rippers forego the bucket.
    Otoh, I think a majority of skiers do these days.

God knows, Raising Arizona13, Buster and I got a few looks from the locals in Switzerland last week.
    RA13 with his carharrt beanie over a ballcap bill was quite the rustic look. I def saw people looking at it. And we were flat maching past people all day.

I spent my helmet money on ski lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by gtid View Post

He came out to visit from New Jersey. This was by his admission the greatest run of his life.

Way to go mag. There's some great karmic payoff in showing a fella his greatest run.

Yer gonna have a sick blower sleeper day next season, bet.

Anyone interested in a ski day at the 'ghee this weekend? Tentatively planning on turning with the VT/CT boys before they head out...

I haven't skied a day at the village... could possibly use one to put in a tour off the Tram....
    I have some buddy passes too if there is a need.

Thunder going detach this summer...

https://liftblog.com/2022/03/23/jack...go-high-speed/

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMountainSkier View Post
    Thunder going detach this summer...

https://liftblog.com/2022/03/23/jack...go-high-speed/
    Saw a troller putting tape on 200+ trees along liftline. Including grove below Hollywood. Hoping those aren't all being cut down for this. Not sure what else it could be for? Also not sure why a ski patroller would be doing this. Any other reason for orange tape around trees during the ski season?
    Last edited by kokomas; 03-23-2022 at 07:16 AM.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Anyone interested in a ski day at the 'ghee this weekend? Tentatively planning on turning with the VT/CT boys before they head out...
    Do it! Didn't ski yesterday but the 'ghee has been skiing great for the last 3.5 weeks.

PS That guy in those images is 65 and is pretty rad. I'm behind the lens, helmetless, but I'm a bit younger.
    nice!

Not in Jackson, plenty of young rippers forego the bucket.
    Otoh, I think a majority of skiers do these days.

God knows, Raising Arizona13, Buster and I got a few looks from the locals in Switzerland last week.
    RA13 with his carharrt beanie over a ballcap bill was quite the rustic look. I def saw people looking at it. And we were flat maching past people all day.

I spent my helmet money on ski lessons.
    Well, when you're in the know of someone who died, but would have lived if they had dawned the helmet that was in the back seat of their car, the cavalier opinions may change.

I only ran into one old schooler at the village and he was sans helmet also, which was not shocking, but at the same time he could also get free helmets.

I dawned mine the first time my oldest snapped into binders at 3 to be a role model and realized then that as a former motox'er it felt good and made sense. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Saw a troller putting tape on 200+ trees along liftline. Including grove below Hollywood. Hoping those aren't all being cut down for this. Not sure what else it could be for? Also not sure why a ski patroller would be doing this. Any other reason for orange tape around trees during the ski season?
    Ouch.

That’s like the rumour. Or truth?
    That sublette is going up Pepis ridge?
    I’ll miss the ride over Alta zero.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ouch.

That’s like the rumour. Or truth?
    That sublette is going up Pepis ridge?
    I’ll miss the ride over Alta zero.
    I'm talking thunder lighting fwiw

I'm talking thunder lighting fwiw

Yeah I got that. Bad typing.

Thunder is a done deal. But I’m ok with that.

Sublette sounds horrible.
    . . .

I'm more talking about the incessant tree reduction. Leave the poor things alone!

JACKSON '21-'22 ~~ w/the 'Ghee, the King, The KC, the Creek and the Passes

I heard that Sublette is moving a bit, maybe over Pepi’s.
    The employee I talked to said they are moving the location a bit to try and avoid that windy rollover near the top.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Thanks!
    NE aspect in 3rd Option. Again, super perfunctory, was mostly supposed to be getting pictures of an athlete doing snow safety stuff, but ended up being surprised by what we found.

A lift over Pepi’s is the end of decent inbounds skiing on that terrain. Hope it doesn’t happen like that.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I heard that Sublette is moving a bit, maybe over Pepi’s.
    The employee I talked to said they are moving the location a bit to try and avoid that windy rollover near the top.
    That’s not a terrible option.

I'm more talking about the incessant tree reduction. Leave the poor things alone!

Moving sublette to pepi was more about evac.

Lowering the top was more about wind holds.

Either way it sucks.

Leave sublette alone.

And put in a lower faces lift first
    Last edited by Core Shot; 03-23-2022 at 12:49 PM.
    . . .

I'll be up doing the hosting with the mosting. Ask for change and we take a few.

^^^^^^
    Hell yes, been a long time coming.
    Will holla.

Stoke!