Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Admittedly, I’ve only skied the ghee a handful of times, but what attracts me to the area is the low-key vibe and terrain access.

Isn’t it possible to increase both?

I don’t care about a restaurant, chondola, cat skiing, and all the whiny BS about Teton Canyon.

More skiing is more skiing. Cut the foo foo stuff and increase the ski stuff.

Also, I’m curious about this website, and the silly marketing tripe:

https://savetetoncanyon.org

After reading this, you’d think that expanding the ski resort would ruin the community.

People always want progress, but they don’t want change.
    In short, people who ski hike-to and sidecountry terrain don't want lifts built where they ski. Also, some of the best terrain there only holds so much snow to accommodate a set amount of skiers- think narrow shots between rock bands and steep, tight trees.

It's about as contentious as if JHMR putting a lift in Granite Canyon (even though that wouldn't be legally possible).

Add in considerations for wildlife habitat and a people who don't want to see ski lifts from the wilderness area.

Finally, there something to be said for the argument that there is a lot that Targhee could do to improve the mountain within their current boundary.

I was just about to make a comment like "isn't Dreamcatcher practically brand new" but then I saw in the article that it was installed in 1996. I'm getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I was just about to make a comment like "isn't Dreamcatcher practically brand new" but then I saw in the article that it was installed in 1996. I'm getting old.
    The forest service guy says the lift is nearing the end of it's life.

That is patently absurd. Both Sublette and Thunder are older and we don't hear peep about them getting replaced.

Putting a restaurant at the summit of Fred's will be a travesty too.

Another stab at profiteering by the Gillette kid... Adding foot traffic to the summit slows down access for skiers. Like waffles at the summit of the vill.

Le Tits NOW.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 11-21-2021 at 05:54 PM. Reason: What say ye, haysman?

Ahh… after a little more terrain review on the old Google Earth, I now see the forest for the trees.

So, expanding into some of these areas is like putting a chairlift to the ridge at Bridger Bowl. Now that’s a comparison I can relate to.

In the meantime, I will say that I have tried to avoid the Jackson side in the summer time when road tripping to the Tetons… and I totally get the anti-development sentiment.

However, there has to be some good in the expansion plan, no?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

That is patently absurd. Both Sublette and Thunder are older and we don't hear peep about them getting replaced.

Another stab at profiteering by the Gillette kid... Adding foot traffic to the summit slows down access for skiers. Like waffles at the summit of the vill.

Le Tits NOW.
    I heard the tree clearing on Pepi's was for a high speed four banger this summer or next. Also something about thunder in the same time frame. Not sure how reliable the source, but knows folks at the hill
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Ahh… after a little more terrain review on the old Google Earth, I now see the forest for the trees.

So, expanding into some of these areas is like putting a chairlift to the ridge at Bridger Bowl. Now that’s a comparison I can relate to.

In the meantime, I will say that I have tried to avoid the Jackson side in the summer time when road tripping to the Tetons… and I totally get the anti-development sentiment.

However, there has to be some good in the expansion plan, no?

There is a lot Targhee could do inside their boundaries. Parents whose kids are in the race and freestyle program would love a short fixed grip to the top of Palmers Raceway to provide easy access to the the slalom and GS run plus the terrain park.

Many people who saw the lift lines last year want to spread out the crowd. The people who are already skiing terrain without a crowd by hiking and skinning to it want to keep it the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    I heard the tree clearing on Pepi's was for a high speed four banger this summer or next. Also something about thunder in the same time frame. Not sure how reliable the source, but knows folks at the hill
    Oh, now the summer grooming of Pepi’s makes sense.
    fuck
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Both Sublette and Thunder are older and we don't hear peep about them getting replaced.
    I don't want to scrub through that long podcast posted earlier to remember what 2 lifts Mary said are being replaced soon but it might have been 1 or 2 of those.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    sorry for the non-ski non-stoke, but can anyone recommend someone for washing machine repair ?
    Are you in Jackson or Teton Valley? If you're in TV, Andy at 307-699-2947 https://www.tetonappliancerepair.com is great. Everyone else in the valley was backed up two weeks, he got me on his schedule within 24 hours and everything was repaired in a week (parts had to be ordered).

Le Tits NOW.
    You nailed it, DC nearing its end of life is total bullshit. Wasn’t Blackfoot 40 years old when they finally replaced it?

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    If true, absolute travesty. That would be tone deaf as hell.

Not sure how the dynamics would work without some heavy handed regrading of that area so traffic from Thunder coming down Grand could make it to the load point.

Quote Originally Posted by gtid View Post
    You nailed it, DC nearing its end of life is total bullshit. Wasn’t Blackfoot 40 years old when they finally replaced it?

And lets not forget the old Bannock Chair is still cranking laps over at Lost Trail as Chair 4

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    If true, absolute travesty. That would be tone deaf as hell.

Not sure how the dynamics would work without some heavy handed regrading of that area so traffic from Thunder coming down Grand could make it to the load point.
    I listened to that podcast and started a new thread about it here:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...le-is-at-33-10
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    And lets not forget the old Bannock Chair is still cranking laps over at Lost Trail as Chair 4
    Riblets? still a lot of 'em spinning.

Is the "service life" of a detachable lift less than that of fixed lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Is the "service life" of a detachable lift less than that of fixed lifts?
    Waaaaay less, especially early generations. I doubt that any first gen made it past 35. Adding a few hundred moving parts, and doubling the speed on a heavier chair, which is going to more than double the force every component sees adds up. New designs and better understanding of wear and tear will help with current models hopefully. It probably doesn’t help that the manufacturer of Dreamcatcher was bought out, and no longer exists.

Sounds like the 'Ghee spins on Wed am

JACKSON '21-'22 ~~ w/the 'Ghee, the King, The KC, the Creek and the Passes

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Sounds like the 'Ghee spins in the AM!
    Where’d you see that? Website says Wednesday the 24th

Either way, that’s good news!

Your right I misread, but good news just the same. Changed the date on my post.

Wednesday is going to be a sleeper morning. I can feel it, just remember to keep it on the WROD or risk catching some serious sharks

Heh, I remember skiing there opening day last season and you had to keep a good eye out for the death cookies poking out of the groomer down from Dreamcatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Waaaaay less, especially early generations. I doubt that any first gen made it past 35. Adding a few hundred moving parts, and doubling the speed on a heavier chair, which is going to more than double the force every component sees adds up. New designs and better understanding of wear and tear will help with current models hopefully. It probably doesn’t help that the manufacturer of Dreamcatcher was bought out, and no longer exists.

Now that's interesting, I didn't consider that.

Having ridden the chair prior to Dreamcatcher, it just doesn't seem possible for that thing to be toast already. And being from a defunct maker def doesn't help.

Hmmmm...

I was a little late to work this morning because I just had to listen to MKB talk about the village as if she had some special insight.
    None of the people who run that place, spend much time commuting, paying to park, standing in liftlines, etc.
    They don't have to deal with over-empowered employees, aggro trollers or access issues.

They pull up, park for free, boot up in the office, walk onto any lift and play.

Used to be that way for everyone. Not anymore, not by a longshot. And that's what they don't get.
    They've made the former great experience into a shitshow that requires chessmaster skills, just to have an ok day.

Bit of stoke.

Not sure I'm in love with any of the images... curious if any do it for anyone.

Managed to find/ski some cold pow:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211122_T-33.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	393677

Name:	20211122_T-41.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	393676

Skintrack selfie:

Name:	20211122_T-32.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	393678

Slightly different perspective:

Name:	20211122_T-29.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	393682

Nice Sashay.

uan -
    I Like the skintrack selfies -
    a new perspective I haven't seen before. ...

This thread is off to a Nice start !

keep on, keeping on, Please...

skiJ