Faction Candide 5.0 mount point

Sooo. I ended up getting a pair of last year's model in 183cm for $299 and not sure where I wanna mount them.

Per Blister, there are two mount point possibilities:

“Candide” Line: -4.35 cm from center
    “All-Mountain” Line: -7.35 cm from center

Since I'm a cheap bastard and didn't get past the paywall to read the entire Blister Flash review, I was wondering if the collective has an opinion on the mount. For me, this ski represents a bit of a conundrum, since it's fat but relatively light and stiff.

Me: ~150# 5'9" (68kg 175 cm). Eggspert (duh, this is teh TRGs), former freeride competitor, albeit lame-o and nonspancered. Skiing tele FWIW, might be relevant. Prolly gonna mount with Bishop BMF3 or 22D Axl, boots likely T-Race or BDEL Push. Not planning on doing much touring with 'em, but open to the possibility.

Prefer "directional" rather than "flippy-jibby" approach, which biases me towards the "All-Mountain" line.
    Consider myself an "aggressive" skier (yep duh, TRG standard), again biasing towards "All-Mountain".
    As a tele skier, I generally favor a more rearward mount, based on old biases re: pin-line nonsense etc.

Buuut... I'm getting a bit older so I'm not minding a bit 'o easier turning these dayz, if the ski is otherwise stable at speed.

Aaaand... since the CT 5.0 seems pretty stiff for its girth (at least by hand flex), I suspect it's not gonna flop like a clown shoe, e.g. my 2016 Rossi Super 7s (which I do enjoy, don't get me wrong) or my even older BDEL carbon Megawatts.

Allllsooo... since Candide is a not exactly a shitty skier, and seems happy to recommend the more mid-ski mount, I am now more inclined to go with that rather than my prior biases towards the more rearward "All-Mountain" mount.

Anyone with experience or advice?

Edit to add: and of course there's also the compromise "Progressive" line at -5.85 cm from center, halfway between the "Candide" and the "All-Mountain/Classic" line.
    Last edited by Tri-Ungulate; 11-09-2021 at 10:52 PM.

I'll give you a quippy one liner for now which is "demo bindings".

But I'm mostly doing that because I bought the same skis and I'm going to mount demos.

Despite what XXX-er will tell you, some people can feel small differences in mount point. I know I can and my experience with full reverse skis is that they are more sensitive to mount point than traditional skis.

I'm 5'7" and currently about 175# (but wish to be less). I'm going to mount demos at +1 from the back mount and play from there.

If you can't do demos then my personal experience with full reverse skis tells me to advise you to NOT go behind the back line... all my experiences got squirelly back there.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Faction Candide 5.0 mount point

I loved my 2020-21 Faction 5.0s…the black ones with the red/yellow/white stripe. Put 40 solid days on them and they looked hardly used.

I mounted my 183cm 5.0’s at -0.5 from Candide’s Line (so -4.85cm) and they skied great from hardpack to deep blower.

I dislike rearward mounts (Eg -9cm or farther back). Also have a short bsl so am typically +1cm from most….eg I kinda thoughts go -1.5cm back to the progressive line and then +1 from that.

All of my current skis are -6cm to -7cm.

But I never felt too far forward on the 5.0s at -4.85cm.

And I always thought it was funny that my widest ski (122mm) had my closest to center mount position.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-10-2021 at 03:04 PM.

For 21, All Faction skis have a single mount point and then you move forward or back from the mark between the Candide/Newschool, Progessive and Traditional mounts.
    On the CT models, just the Candide line marked now and you move back 1.5cm for the Progressive and another 1.5cm back/3cm total for Traditional. All other Faction skis, they mark the traditional only and you move the mounts forward.

The CT 5.0 for 21 and 22 were marked 3.5cm back from Center iirc. I’ve got 6 pairs of 21 CT skis are have measured their sidecuts and the CT line is near the start of the min width of the sidecut and starts increasing in width again behind the traditional line. So the progressive like is kinda like a modern Moment ski with marks in front or back to suit tastes.

So CT line if you are often skiing switch or only ski with a neutral stance, progressive mount if you want more stability, better carving with a neutral or forward stance but still very playful and Traditional if you want the best float and stability with a slight drop in playfulness.

Sounds like I have a similar style to the OP and I’m -1cm to -2cm with most at the 1.5cm back mark and it’s perfect. I’d only go -3cm if you’re bigger and want the best float.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I loved my Faction 5.0s…

I mounted my 183cm 5.0’s at -0.5 from Candide’s Line (so -4.85cm) and they skied great from hardpack to deep blower.

I dislike rearward mounts (Eg -9cm or farther back). Also have a short bsl so am typically +1cm from most….eg I kinda thoughts go -1.5cm back to the progressive line and then +1 from that.

All of my current skis are -6cm to -7cm.

But I never felt too far forward on the 5.0s at -4.85cm.

And I always thought it was funny that my widest ski (122mm) had my closest to center mount position.
    I second that. Loved 5.0 until they delammed. Mounted them right on the recommended line at -4.35 from center and that was the most center-mounted powder skis I ever had and I never thought I need to move back

Found the 21 CT specs and the 183cm CT 5.0 was 4.5cm back from Center and 3.5cm back in the 22 model.
    So you are already pretty close to the “Progressive” mount of 22 on the 2021 CT line.

As someone fairly new to the tele world, this is how I did it and I'm pretty happy with my decision:

find the balance point of the ski, make a mark. Measure the contacts points on the widest points of the ski, as well as the cambered contact points and go midway between them. Do it on the tips and the tails, then divide it in half, then make a mark. Find the spot midway between the balance point and the midpoint of the camber/shape, and mount the ball of your foot there.

I'd maybe go back a little bit if I were more chargy like you.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk