Thread: Strokes suck.

Strokes suck.

Just had a friend go down with a stroke. Dammit. No updates at all - haven't heard from his wife yet and he got hit a few days ago.

Sucks. Thinking about you buddy.

Sorry EWG.. strokes definitely suck. While recoverable, the damage is often incurable. Hope your buddy comes out ok without any palsy or speech deficit.

Biggest example I can think of is Crack Head Bob. Multiple strokes (from smoking too much crack) left him without the use of one arm, inability to process numbers, and speaking like this for the rest of his (sober) life.

Not at all implying your buddy had a drug problem, but this is a scary result of multiple strokes.

My mom was never the same after her first stroke but a lot of people are able to recover completely. Hope your buddy falls into the latter category

Strokes are so much scarier than heart attacks to me. Vibes to your friend - hope it’s a good outcome. Takes months to recover but often (but not always) can tell what degree of recovery is possible after a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Just had a friend go down with a stroke. Dammit. No updates at all - haven't heard from his wife yet and he got hit a few days ago.

Sorry about your friend
    Hope they got treatment quickly.

Makes all the difference.

Support them on their recovery, no matter what that entails. They may never be the same again, but can still live full lives.

My dad had a stroke in 2001, had to relearn al ot. Still cant swallow. But in the years since he has skied hundreds of days, gone rim to rim of the Grand Canyon a few times, bikes, travels to multiple countries, lives.
    Seen friends not nearly as impaired shrivel up and become housebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Sorry about your friend
    Hope they got treatment quickly.

Makes all the difference.

Support them on their recovery, no matter what that entails. They may never be the same again, but can still live full lives.

My dad had a stroke in 2001, had to relearn al ot. Still cant swallow. But in the years since he has skied hundreds of days, gone rim to rim of the Grand Canyon a few times, bikes, travels to multiple countries, lives.
    Seen friends not nearly as impaired shrivel up and become housebound.
    Wow that is super impressive.Tell your Dad he has an anonymous internet fan.

I've had 2 close friends who had strokes this year. I'm extremely glad that I set up things on their phones and pin up's on their fridges and always check in on them or they would both be dead numbers in my phone 100%.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Strokes are so much scarier than heart attacks to me. Vibes to your friend - hope it’s a good outcome. Takes months to recover but often (but not always) can tell what degree of recovery is possible after a few weeks.
    Yeah, I'm really worried. He needs his motor skills for his livelihood and calling.

I have a cousin-in-law who had a stroke a couple of years ago with absolutely zero negative outcome. I'm hoping for that.

Yeah, I'm really worried. He needs his motor skills for his livelihood and calling.

I have a cousin-in-law who had a stroke a couple of years ago with absolutely zero negative outcome. I'm hoping for that.
    From your lips to Jah's ears

Strokes come in so many shapes and sizes with outcomes ranging from rapid complete recovery to . . . . Hoping for the former for your friend.

Truly sorry to hear about your friend EWG, praying for a zero negative outcome indeed.
    I still call it The Jake.

read the news earlier, sorry to hear. great talent and praying for good outcome.

edit out

The crazy thing about strokes is that any one of us could have an AVM (https://www.stroke.org/en/about-stro...s-malformation) sitting in our brains waiting to blow at any moment. You might live your whole life with it, but even if you're the picture of health it could blow at random at any time. Good luck to your friend, EWG.

Guitar player for moe had one this week, close friend of mine had a mild one out at a restaurant about six years ago. He's a quick witted dude who is back fully but he did lose a little off his fastball.

Good luck EWG