Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    You should delete your question before you get an answer, so as to retain plausible deniability.
    Im grappling with this conundrum for sure. Sounds like I know the answer.

My BIL is the king of eating crazy shit, so maybe we will take it outside and he can open it there. Or I could bring waivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Im grappling with this conundrum for sure. Sounds like I know the answer.

My BIL is the king of eating crazy shit, so maybe we will take it outside and he can open it there. Or I could bring waivers.
    Do it!

This may have been covered already, but can someone give me some info on the real world implications of Surstromming?

Background: Wife's family are Polish and Xmas dinner is traditionally a "no meat" affair to my great chagrin. For some reason, the Poles want to ensure maximum vodka to minimal substantive food as possible so that my Mother In Law gets tanked enough to still think midnight mass is a good idea but cant make it through without snoring in her pew.

So there is a ton of pickled fish, yada yada. They pass around some pretty gelatinous and aggressive fish dishes with smiles on their faces. So this year I ordered some Surstromming (shit is like 50 bucks a can) to contribute as basically a "fuck you" to see if these hardened fish eaters want to take it up a notch. Just how sensationalized are these Surstromming youtube videos? Will I ruin Xmas dinner by having one of these cans spew its fermented goodness all over the table? People seem to be wretching in these vids.

I'm going to find this funny no matter what, I am just trying to figure out how mad my wife is going to get at me for bringing this out and playing coy before the can is pierced.

Have you broken the news to them yet that fish *is* actually meat?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Shhh. The Catholic church is running quite a scam, don't blow it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

They know that, I just refuse to accept it. There are so many great Polish dishes I get throughout the year that are based on things that use to have a leather jacket that I think Xmas dinner is a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Shhh. The Catholic church is running quite a scam, don't blow it.
    My niece announced she was a "vegetarian" a couple years ago. I had to break the news to her. She was not amused.

I'll film the whole mess for posterity.

This.

If you conveniently forget it's supposed to be opened in a bucket of water you might be buying new clothes.

Still, Do it.

If he "forgets" the water, they are going to know they were punked.

Art, I’m so glad I neglected work for a while this afternoon to catch this important thread bump.
    I still call it The Jake.

so apres hitting the bar tonite I made the quiky meal, 1/3 cup rice, a tin of herring filets in tomato sauce, a few diced cherry tomatos/ some capers

a tasty/ cheap/ fast meal from stuff sitting in the cupboard, i'm gona keep the tinned herring & sardines around for the quick meals

and you wana wash it down with a nice NZ pinot grigio
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Totally random why I was looking at this tonight, but can anyone guess specifically where this tasty selection originates?

Name:  2021-12-07 .png
Views: 299
Size:  61.1 KB
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I'm about to mow through this can of smoked oysters. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211208_141611.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	395874

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Why!? Just fucking, why??? We have farm to table markets, good flash freezing technologies...there's no need to eat like a hobo out of a can

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Why!? Just fucking, why??? We have farm to table markets, and we can ship fresh grapes everywhere. There's no point to ferment them and bottle them.
    FTFY.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Art, I’m so glad I neglected work for a while this afternoon to catch this important thread bump.
    Glad you wandered in. I'm getting more excited for Xmas dinner now and will ensure the phone is fully charged and lighting is good.

Cause they are tasty on tricuits. That's why.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211208_144656.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	395878

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Just finished a can myself. Great minds.

I watched that puking while eating a sardine sandwich. Didn't flinch. I'm pretty sure I'd eat it.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Why!? Just fucking, why??? We have farm to table markets, good flash freezing technologies...there's no need to eat like a hobo out of a can
    It's like some folks are stuck on the front lines of war or in the space station, but to each their own. reminds me of this exchange:

Frank: Inchon, Korea, 1950. I was the best cook Uncle Sam ever saw, slinging hash for the Fighting 103rd. As we marched north, our supply lines were getting thin. One day a couple of GIs found a crate, inside were six hundred pounds of prime Texas steer. At least it once was prime. The Use date was three weeks past, but I was arrogant, I was brash, I thought if I used just the right spices, cooked it long enough...

Kramer: What happened?

Frank: I went too far. I over seasoned it. Men were keeling over all around me. I can still hear the retching, the screaming. I sent sixteen of my own men to the latrines that night. They were just boys.

Kramer: Frank, you were a boy too. And it was war. It was a crazy time for everyone.

Frank: Tell that to Bobby Colby. All that kid wanted to do was go home. Well he went home alright, with a crater in his colon the size of a cutlet. Had to sit him on a cork the eighteen-hour flight home!

Kramer: Frank, now listen to me. Two hundred Jewish singles need you. This is your chance to make it all right again.

There is an old story about the market craze in sardine trading when the sardines disappeared from their traditional waters in Monterey, California. The commodity traders bid them up and the price of a can of sardines soared. One day a buyer decided to treat himself to an expensive meal and actually opened a can and started eating. He immediately became ill and told the seller the sardines were no good. The seller said, “You don’t understand. These are not eating sardines, they are trading sardines.”

copypastas note: this same created anecdote has been sourced to many timeframes (iirc postwar Korea, Japan, postwar Germany with cigarettes)

It's like some folks are stuck on the front lines of war or in the space station, but to each their own. reminds me of this exchange:

Frank: Inchon, Korea, 1950. I was the best cook Uncle Sam ever saw, slinging hash for the Fighting 103rd. As we marched north, our supply lines were getting thin. One day a couple of GIs found a crate, inside were six hundred pounds of prime Texas steer. At least it once was prime. The Use date was three weeks past, but I was arrogant, I was brash, I thought if I used just the right spices, cooked it long enough...

Kramer: What happened?

Frank: I went too far. I over seasoned it. Men were keeling over all around me. I can still hear the retching, the screaming. I sent sixteen of my own men to the latrines that night. They were just boys.

Kramer: Frank, you were a boy too. And it was war. It was a crazy time for everyone.

Frank: Tell that to Bobby Colby. All that kid wanted to do was go home. Well he went home alright, with a crater in his colon the size of a cutlet. Had to sit him on a cork the eighteen-hour flight home!

Kramer: Frank, now listen to me. Two hundred Jewish singles need you. This is your chance to make it all right again.
    So, who wrote that, does anyone know? Was it Larry David, or was it some other writer on the show?

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    FTFY.
    One is just a heathen if they don't enjoy a nice glass of wine
    I do eat canned meat, tuna

I don’t think you get it….

Your can of tuna was $1.39 and packed by a robot onboard a boat in the South China Sea. The cans were talking about in this this thread are $4-$30 and packed by some Portuguese dude named Lourenco in some small harbor town south of Lisbon who’s family has been doing this for a couple hundred years….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

compare a can of starkist To a can of Mediterranean tuna in olive oil