Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Think I need something to go with the smoked oysters. Crackers? Don’t have any of those in my pantry, either. Thinking Premium Saltines. To me, the ideal Premium saltine is crisp with a browned top that will flake off and gather in the bottom of the wrapper sleeve so that when you finish the last cracker you lick and dip your finger into the crumbs and on to your mouth. Heaven. To borrow a phrase from BBQ, the “burnt ends” of crackers.

Unfortunately, Premiums are so hit and miss, and these days mostly miss. Too often the crackers arrive with white tops. I think they have much better control of the cooking process these days to the point where they hardly ever “burn” the crackers anymore. And their idea of the ideal cracker is much different than mine. Of course, they are biased towards using less energy in cooking their crackers because it costs them less. So they strive to barely cook their crackers.

So, I’ll have to play cracker roulette to see if I get a good sleeve, or a boring one. I swore off crackers years ago due to this very issue, but now that I have smoked oysters it can’t be helped, once more into the cracker fray!

Or maybe I’ll make some sourdough toast.

Speaking of oysters, and crackers, a few years ago we went to this small local restaurant. Wife ordered clam chowder to start. She rips open a little bag of oyster crackers and dumps them on the chowder.

A couple minutes pass as she's happily eating her chowder when some movement catches my eye. For a second it seemed like the pepper she ground on it was moving but she hadn't used any pepper. I look closer and it's ants. They had infested the crackers. They were living their best lives all cocooned inside the individual crackers and their home being turned into a life raft on a sea of hot chowder had sent them topsides, where they had congragated, frantically waving their little feelers for help.

Those of them that had not already been eaten, that is. Wife freaked out of course. They brought her a new bowl of chowder (and more crackers!) when we brought it to their attention but she couldn't eat it. So I did, with crackers (fortunately ant-free crackers this time) on top. She has not eaten an oyster cracker since. More for me.

^^^ winning.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Tinned Smoked oysters are the second most foul food smell I know.

Frying blood sausage is definitely worse.

Edit: I’m no andrew Zimmerman. No surstroming or rancid whale blubber Yet.
    . . .

I think surstroming would be perfect in one of those bait packages for the Amazon porch pirates. The glitter bomb was one thing. And liquid ass another. But my idea kicks it up to 11. I'd love to see the video when an unsuspecting thief gets an explosion of surstroming in their car or apartment. That shit ain't coming out.

I was reading through this thread last night and it got me stoked. I just dropped about $50 today at the store on some canned fish. Got a couple different types of King Oscar sardines, Geisha smoked oysters, and some Snow's minced clams.

Anyone know where to find the high end canned stuff in Colorado?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Think I need something to go with the smoked oysters. Crackers? Don’t have any of those in my pantry, either. Thinking Premium Saltines. To me, the ideal Premium saltine is crisp with a browned top that will flake off and gather in the bottom of the wrapper sleeve so that when you finish the last cracker you lick and dip your finger into the crumbs and on to your mouth. Heaven. To borrow a phrase from BBQ, the “burnt ends” of crackers.

Unfortunately, Premiums are so hit and miss, and these days mostly miss. Too often the crackers arrive with white tops. I think they have much better control of the cooking process these days to the point where they hardly ever “burn” the crackers anymore. And their idea of the ideal cracker is much different than mine. Of course, they are biased towards using less energy in cooking their crackers because it costs them less. So they strive to barely cook their crackers.

So, I’ll have to play cracker roulette to see if I get a good sleeve, or a boring one. I swore off crackers years ago due to this very issue, but now that I have smoked oysters it can’t be helped, once more into the cracker fray!

Or maybe I’ll make some sourdough toast.
    Just mix those oysters in with some Kraft Mac and cheese. Perfect application

These are not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    These are not very good.

Agreed, big disappointment

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Just mix those oysters in with some Kraft Mac and cheese. Perfect application
    Still haven’t found the appropriate opportunity to eat the oysters. Been working on turkey the last few days. Your suggestion sounds interesting, though.

I think this is some type of pate. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211125_142957.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	394290

Smoked sprats, a herring
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

These are not very good.

I may have to track these down to figure out what a bad sardine tastes like because I haven't figured out what good sardine tastes like. They are all - so far as a tinny noob - kinda bland when in olive oil.

But I am sold on the health benefits and will keep eating them.

^^ I think they sell those at Costco. Or online.

COSTCO???

Yeah.
    https://www.cochaser.com/blog/wild-p...75-ounce-cans/

I know they carry other wild planet products, and apparently sardines too (haven’t bought them myself).

These are not very good.

These are surprisingly good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211206_223614.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	395683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211206_223659.jpeg 
Views:	162 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	395684

Ate some of these on Monday and enjoyed them. Even got my 2y/o to enjoy some. Not fancy but $4 at WF; nice very mild smoke flavor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81TVNvnV7dL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	395741

This may have been covered already, but can someone give me some info on the real world implications of Surstromming?

Background: Wife's family are Polish and Xmas dinner is traditionally a "no meat" affair to my great chagrin. For some reason, the Poles want to ensure maximum vodka to minimal substantive food as possible so that my Mother In Law gets tanked enough to still think midnight mass is a good idea but cant make it through without snoring in her pew.

So there is a ton of pickled fish, yada yada. They pass around some pretty gelatinous and aggressive fish dishes with smiles on their faces. So this year I ordered some Surstromming (shit is like 50 bucks a can) to contribute as basically a "fuck you" to see if these hardened fish eaters want to take it up a notch. Just how sensationalized are these Surstromming youtube videos? Will I ruin Xmas dinner by having one of these cans spew its fermented goodness all over the table? People seem to be wretching in these vids.

I'm going to find this funny no matter what, I am just trying to figure out how mad my wife is going to get at me for bringing this out and playing coy before the can is pierced.

Gelatinous fish would be more a lutefisk - which is bland & mostly doesn’t smell (depending on the whitefish) just has a weird texture. Surstromming stinks

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Gelatinous fish would be more a lutefisk - which is bland & mostly doesn’t smell (depending on the whitefish) just has a weird texture. Surstromming stinks
    Yeah, its not an especially stinky table but it is full of jellied and pickled herring, among other things. I know Surstromming stinks to high hell, but I'm curious if it is a complete dinner-ruiner.

You should delete your question before you get an answer, so as to retain plausible deniability.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

test the household with durian to maintain deniability

Even Swedes take precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    This may have been covered already, but can someone give me some info on the real world implications of Surstromming?

Background: Wife's family are Polish and Xmas dinner is traditionally a "no meat" affair to my great chagrin. For some reason, the Poles want to ensure maximum vodka to minimal substantive food as possible so that my Mother In Law gets tanked enough to still think midnight mass is a good idea but cant make it through without snoring in her pew.

So there is a ton of pickled fish, yada yada. They pass around some pretty gelatinous and aggressive fish dishes with smiles on their faces. So this year I ordered some Surstromming (shit is like 50 bucks a can) to contribute as basically a "fuck you" to see if these hardened fish eaters want to take it up a notch. Just how sensationalized are these Surstromming youtube videos? Will I ruin Xmas dinner by having one of these cans spew its fermented goodness all over the table? People seem to be wretching in these vids.

I'm going to find this funny no matter what, I am just trying to figure out how mad my wife is going to get at me for bringing this out and playing coy before the can is pierced.

Must. Capture. Vid.