Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Pomoca Free Pro 2.0 experience

Any of you mags been using the Pomoca Free Pro’s?

What sticks are on? What snow conditions?

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair for my Genomes

I use them with a pair of Zero G 105's.

Best skins ever. They are lighter and take up less space than seems possible. Grip is just ok, but glide is superb. I wish I had them for all my skis.

Pomoca glue has always been solid for me- better than BD and much better than G3 or Kolha. The plastic Pomoca hardware has always broken for me. Hopefully their new hardware is better, but the skins are still worth it even if the plastic all breaks eventually.

I have between 5 and 10 days on a pair on DPS Lotus 138s. Not enough to comment on durability, but the grip is comparable to Pomoca Climb Pro S-Glide (the teal ones) and they pack down pretty small. The Free Pros are really thin, which makes them really impressively packable. My main gripe with them is the tip loop is easily bent if you kick it with the other ski's tip, something that is easy to do on reverse-sidecut skis in an existing skintrack.

Here's some useless data:
    - Climb Pro S-Glide, cut for skis that measure 181cm x 137mm/107mm/127mm, weigh 572g/pair.
    - Free Pro 2.0, cut for skis that measure 192cm x 140ish, and including some storage plastic I couldn't be bothered to take off, weigh 640g/pair.

I probably wouldn't buy Free Pros for a "do it all" touring ski, unless they were on sale. The Climb Pro S-Glides work really well, are a little cheaper, and seem a little more durable. I do appreciate the low weight and excellent packability of the Free Pros for skis with really large surface area, though.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Have on winter with them on Lotus 120s in the alps. Mostly powder of different temperatures. Really good in my opinion. No issues with the grip for what I do. good glide but best is the packability (awesome!) and the glue: not too sticky but just right. Outside temperatures must have been from -12°C to +5°C or something.

I have friends with considerable more time on them and so far everybody is happy.

Mostly agree with ISBD. Mine are shared between Moment Bibbys (CAST, sidecountry setup), 4FRNT Renegades (ditto) and -1 width Praxis Protests (pow touring, new this year so I haven't actually skied these yet). But I've put a bunch of time on them on the former 2 skis.

I love how small they pack, and the glue is awesome. Tip hardware has been fine so far, tail hardware is fiddly and annoying. Hasn't broken yet, but feels flimsy and at risk of exploding at any moment. I've been meaning to put G3 tail hardware on but haven't gotten around to it.

Grip is okay (similar to G3 Glide, little less than BD MoMix, way less than most nylon skins). Glide is the best of the bunch. They're definitely thin and not super burly but especially for soft snow skis where 1) I'm skinning on deeper snow and not beating them up as much and 2) they're on bigger, wider skis and the lighter plush makes a bigger difference in weight and packability I'm pretty stoked on them.

To be clear on the grip issue:

It is perfectly adequate. I personally hate the grippiest skins because the glide sucks. If you spend a lot of time on those stupid steep, icy Wasatch skin tracks you might prefer other skins. But like I said, best skins I've used.

I have them on a 4frnt hoji. In my experience they have been really good. Climb well and really easy to transition/pack.

Mounting up a new pair with the 4lock hole so really looking forward to see how the no tail clip works out

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    To be clear on the grip issue:

It is perfectly adequate. I personally hate the grippiest skins because the glide sucks. If you spend a lot of time on those stupid steep, icy Wasatch skin tracks you might prefer other skins. But like I said, best skins I've used.
    Totally agreed. And I haven't tried anything that both grips and glides better.

Can anyone compare the performance to the Contour pure mohair skins? I like the Contour a lot but it would be nice if they packed down a little smaller

I have both Pomoca Free Pro and Contour Pure Mohair skins. The Contours climb better, and the Pomocas glide better. The durability of the Contours is better, but they're also considerably heavier/bulkier than the Pomocas. Overall, I like both skins, but I definitely use them for different applications (i.e., Pomocas are for my lightweight/volcano/Eastside set-up; Contours are for my powder set-up)

Just got to fondle the Free Pro’s and S Glide both in 140mm and XL

Fuck me! The weight difference is significant for sure. I may go for the Free’s on my giant pow pow sticks and the S Glides on my daily tour sticks. I don’t think the weight saving will be as noticeable in 108 waist as on 141 waists.

Thoughts?

I've got a pair of those Pom's on billygoat tours.
    Traded out some BD's for them. Pom's are lighter, smaller, more packable, grip is fine. Almost all touring on soft snow - aside from a couple spring lines which have been fine too. There were a couple days the grip left a little to be desired, but those days no skins woulda helped me. So .. no complaints.

I want Pom's for my bigger skis too, stands to reason if Pom's are whatever% lighter, they're even more better for bigger skis. just don't have the cash laying around for them, not while the other skins are still alive.

If you can buy them, you should.
    my .02
    north bound horse.

I pre ordered a pair a month ago and they just arrived today.

Super supple and will pack down nice. Plastic tip loops are a concern.

But the not super relevant WTF question is, what is the deal with the scent pack? They smell like a desperate cougar at the club.... I don't get it. But it is deliberate.
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 11-09-2021 at 08:53 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I have between 5 and 10 days on a pair on DPS Lotus 138s. Not enough to comment on durability, but the grip is comparable to Pomoca Climb Pro S-Glide (the teal ones) and they pack down pretty small. The Free Pros are really thin, which makes them really impressively packable. My main gripe with them is the tip loop is easily bent if you kick it with the other ski's tip, something that is easy to do on reverse-sidecut skis in an existing skintrack.

Here's some useless data:
    - Climb Pro S-Glide, cut for skis that measure 181cm x 137mm/107mm/127mm, weigh 572g/pair.
    - Free Pro 2.0, cut for skis that measure 192cm x 140ish, and including some storage plastic I couldn't be bothered to take off, weigh 640g/pair.

I probably wouldn't buy Free Pros for a "do it all" touring ski, unless they were on sale. The Climb Pro S-Glides work really well, are a little cheaper, and seem a little more durable. I do appreciate the low weight and excellent packability of the Free Pros for skis with really large surface area, though.

What length are the ones on your 138 lotus? I can get a deal on Larges but I’m worried they might be a hair short.

Quote Originally Posted by old mexico View Post
    What length are the ones on your 138 lotus? I can get a deal on Larges but I’m worried they might be a hair short.
    Mine were the "140mm x 185-200cm" size. Not sure if that's a Large or what.

Also, mine did not come with a scent pack
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

I've got a pair of them, and Climb pro S-Glides.

The glue on Pomoca branded products is top notch, adhesion is great, making transitions quick.

Both the Climb and Freepro pack pretty small, with the freepro packing really small. Grip is obviously better on the climb, but manageable on the freepro.

Biggest difference: Durability - I had to warranty my frees after about 14'k of vert, as they began to absorb an insane amount of water (ended up warrantying them). Additionally the substrate is substantially thinner which is great for small packing, but it means that ripping out skin tips if you ever click your ski tips together...which I've done.

Therefore, if I were spending some paper money on a new skin I'd get the S-glides, as you would most likely get more miles out of them.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Well shit! Hopefully that was an isolated issues and the Free Pro’s don’t do that on the regular?

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I've got a pair of them, and Climb pro S-Glides.

The glue on Pomoca branded products is top notch, adhesion is great, making transitions quick.

Both the Climb and Freepro pack pretty small, with the freepro packing really small. Grip is obviously better on the climb, but manageable on the freepro.

Biggest difference: Durability - I had to warranty my frees after about 14'k of vert, as they began to absorb an insane amount of water (ended up warrantying them). Additionally the substrate is substantially thinner which is great for small packing, but it means that ripping out skin tips if you ever click your ski tips together...which I've done.

Therefore, if I were spending some paper money on a new skin I'd get the S-glides, as you would most likely get more miles out of them.

Time will tell, seeing now that I've got a fresh pair. But for now, for bigger missions on my lighter setup i'll be sticking with the S-Glides, just from a reliability standpoint.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Sounds reasonable. I will probably go that way as well, the S Glides on daily tour sticks and the Free’s on the heavy pow pows.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Time will tell, seeing now that I've got a fresh pair. But for now, for bigger missions on my lighter setup i'll be sticking with the S-Glides, just from a reliability standpoint.

Have them. Great glide/ traction in powder. Super light and compact. I removed the Pomoca tip and tail and installed the more bomber bd tip and tail....

I’ll echo everything these guys said. I went with Zbend tip wires and holes drilled in ski tips to avoid tip hardware issues, and I’ve not had any problems with the tails. I use them on all my touring rigs; 90mm, 108, and 117 underfoot. Grip is certainly good enough if I am on decent skinners.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Those Pomoca tip bars are so fkin bad. I bought a pair of skins from a mag (actually, was it you, riff?), used them for one tour, broke them on my first skin rip and replaced them with the Ski Trab Attivo tips. Your skis need to fit the tips, but most should.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211110_112542.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	392218
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211110_112547.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	630.3 KB 
ID:	392219

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Those Pomoca tip bars are so fkin bad.
    The tail clips will fail eventually too. They just crack. The plastic they used is clearly not up to the task. Pomoca has updated all their hardware in the last season or so. I'd love to know if it just looks different or if they have switched to a plastic that doesn't become brittle over time.

We have three pairs of the Free Pro 2.0s; mostly used for weekly resort skinning the last two years, but some day tours. No real durability issues so far, but I can tell they're not as hardy as the BD's we ran before.

I was assuming I was going to buy S-Glide's originally, but then talked to shop guys at Cripple Creek and SkiMo and got their experience, which pushed me towards Free Pro's. Very happy with them at this point, but if I was touring on a weekly basis I may look at the S-Glide for better long-term usability.

Well, I pulled the trigger and order a pair of Free Pro and S glides.

Really not keen on dragging g3 nylon carpets around this season again.

I order 140mm and xl‘s in both. Will weigh and post once I have them.

Thinking about replacing with Contour tips when the attachment break.
    Anyone have experience with using Contour tip hardware?